Spitting out

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
Gross I know. OK so Dad has recently had aspiration pneumonia, anyone who has read my threads will know he had end of life meds prescribed over easter but he has pulled through. He he is managing to eat dyaphagic diet and thickened fluids. However when I went to visit him yesterday he was spitting out everywhere. Has anyone else experienced this? I presume the food/fluid he had for lunch has gone into his lungs and he is coughing it up. He doesn't eat much of a meal as you can imagine at this stage. If that is the case then it probably won't be long before he has aspiration pneumonia again.

Dad is in the severe stage (7) and completely bed bound.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this? Or if a loved one has had aspiration pneumonia how long before they have had it again?

Please help

Red

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
A gap of approx. 2 years for my husband. He passed away 5 weeks ago and aspiration pneumonia was the first of three causes of death registered on his death certificate. He had been diagnosed 11 years ago at the age of 62. I am not convinced that aspiration pneumonia was the prime cause but makes no difference. Late stage Dementia is recorded as one of the causes.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My husband got aspiration pneumonia at the end of May last, and died on 3rd August. He did get a little better once he was back in the nursing home, but I couldn't honestly say he recovered from the pneumonia, really. His swallowing reflex was practically gone, so he was aspirating particles. But even before his dementia, William's chest was his point of weakness. Throughout his illness, he didn't get UTIs, but he got regular chest infections - not helped by the fact that he was asthmatic and wouldn't use his inhalers or nebuliser.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Spitting out is not the same as coughing up.

Has his mouth been checked for any infection/inflammation/rash that may be causing discomfort?

He may not like the food. The sense of sweetness is often the last one to go, have sweeter diets been tried?

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
Spitting out is not the same as coughing up.

Has his mouth been checked for any infection/inflammation/rash that may be causing discomfort?

He may not like the food. The sense of sweetness is often the last one to go, have sweeter diets been tried?

He is coughing when he eats but later on after he had a sleep he was coughing more and spitting out, is was the same colour as the pureed chicken and mushroom pie. So I can only assume it was that stuck in his throat or something, or lungs even. He was agitated by it too.

Will check his mouth later, that's if he will let me! See if it's anything else.

Thanks

Red

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
Is he pouching food?
Storing it between his gum and cheek.

Not that I am aware of, will ask nursing staff if they have noticed, I fed him his tea yesterday and he appeared to be swallowing it. Not thought of that though so thanks.

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
Hi Red, has your dad got dentures? I've read that dental hygiene can be a big factor contributing to eating problems and to pneumonia. My dad chokes on his food- comes down his nose when he eats- like your dad I would imagine, every meal is an ordeal. The dental thing is not easy to resolve tho, dad has lost upper dentures, and will let No One near the teeth that are remaining.x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...comes down his nose when he eats..."

I have vivid memories of that 3 years ago, no choking, thickened fluids just came out of the nose because swallowing mechanism had all gone wrong. My wife's anniversary is on the ninth.

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
"...comes down his nose when he eats..."

I have vivid memories of that 3 years ago, no choking, thickened fluids just came out of the nose because swallowing mechanism had all gone wrong. My wife's anniversary is on the ninth.

I know, Nitram... I'm aware that it is not a good sign. Love my dad❤️️I have exhausted all options, diet- wise. He's on puréed diet/thickened fluids. Heartbreaking, every mealtime. It's a game of chance every time he eats or drinks. Thank you, for sharing, sincerely. G Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Maggie42

Mar 7, 2011
East Midlands
Sounds very similar to the problems my husband is having, but he also has type 1 diabetes. A referral has been made to SALT but in the meantime he is officially on pre-mashed diet although can only eat soft puree most days! There seem conflicting views as to which foods are likely to cause aspirational pneumonia. He was eating ice cream when I left the nursing home tonight having refused his main.
It's a dreadful time, my heart goes out to all in a similar situation.
Best wishes
Mags

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
Sounds very similar to the problems my husband is having, but he also has type 1 diabetes. A referral has been made to SALT but in the meantime he is officially on pre-mashed diet although can only eat soft puree most days! There seem conflicting views as to which foods are likely to cause aspirational pneumonia. He was eating ice cream when I left the nursing home tonight having refused his main.
It's a dreadful time, my heart goes out to all in a similar situation.
Best wishes
Mags

Update
Dad is not pouching food, well, his mouth was clear last night anyway. He doesn't have dentures either. The nursing staff are lying him too flat in my opinion, he isn't completely flat but I think needs to sat up more, especially after eating. It's not like he can shift himself at all in the bed.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and experience. I really appreciate it.

It's just no life at all for him as many of you know and are living with your loved ones. So sad.

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
Update
Dad is not pouching food, well, his mouth was clear last night anyway. He doesn't have dentures either. The nursing staff are lying him too flat in my opinion, he isn't completely flat but I think needs to sat up more, especially after eating. It's not like he can shift himself at all in the bed.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and experience. I really appreciate it.

It's just no life at all for him as many of you know and are living with your loved ones. So sad.

Sorry didn't mean to post at the end of your Maggie. Oops x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix