Trying to contact social worker!

Tessi

Aug 9, 2014
I am trying to organise carers for my mum and was told I should do this through the social worker. Spoke to her a couple of weeks ago in general terms about it and now that we as a family have decided this is the best way to go, I have been trying without success to get back in touch with her. Tried the office land line and left messages on her mobile but she never rings back! Does anyone else have this problem?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think many have this problem Tessi.

I would phone again to the general office and if your named SW is unavailable again, ask if another can attend to you.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I am trying to organise carers for my mum and was told I should do this through the social worker. Spoke to her a couple of weeks ago in general terms about it and now that we as a family have decided this is the best way to go, I have been trying without success to get back in touch with her. Tried the office land line and left messages on her mobile but she never rings back! Does anyone else have this problem?

I have come across this problem over years of dealings with Social Workers on my parents' behalf.
It is just possible she may be
  • on sick leave
  • on annual leave
  • on a training course
  • in a meeting
  • attending a conference
  • on her way to join the circus, having left her job
  • or a combination of the above
Ring the number for adult social care and tell them you have phoned her and had no response.
She could be overloaded with work, but to not reply to your calls is unacceptable, and you have to be very persistent with social services sometimes in order to get anywhere.
Good luck.

Tessi

Aug 9, 2014
Thank you. Sleepless, the bit about the circus made me laugh but you never know! This is my first time of dealing with social workers and although I realise they must be very busy people, I didn't think it would be so hard. I'm beginning to feel like a nuisance for keep leaving messages. The social worker in question has an office based in my mums day centre so that's my only known point of contact plus her mobile. Will obviously have to find another way round it.

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
If you can't get back to your designated SW you can ring the adult care desk and tell them who you need and what you need from them. It is a convoluted way of getting the help you deserve but they are duty bound to respond. SS ALWAYS give you the runaround in my experience but grim determination eventually win through.
Good luck, hope everything works out well for you.

jasmineflower

Aug 27, 2012
Hi Tessi
Would your parents be self funding? If so, you don't have to go through SS but can contact a care agency directly.

You would probably have more control over the situation as well.

If they're not self funding, perhaps you could approach it backwards an contact a care agency and see if they can get hold of SS for you?

J x

Tessi

Aug 9, 2014
Thanks for your help everyone. After several more failed attempts to get hold of social worker, I rang the recommended home support company and am arranging an informal visit for them to visit mum and I'll be there too. This will be the beginning of a whole new chapter!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba