sorry for all your losses but

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
I no this is a strange question. my oh as been told he as vaskela dementia and I love him dearly .we have been together 36 year he is 73 I am 56.i try and take it one day at a time but I have read on a page that he may only live 5 to 6 year with this illness if I can call it that can you give me a ruff idear how long your loved ones had as planning a trip to canerda to see relatives and was wondering how long to leav it

VERY SORRY IF THIS UPSETS ENY ONE BUT I AM WORED AND NOT SHOURE HOW TO LISAN TO AS SOME ONE TOLD ME HE MIGHT BE OK FOR 11 YEARS OR SO

jjude

Jan 4, 2011
England
My dad was diagnosed at seventy nine and died aged eight five. They still went on holiday for four years after that and they only stopped when he wondered off in Spain and the police found him and brought him back to the hotel. So for for years after the diagnosis they still enjoyed things together. The last two years wasn't possible. Good luck and I would say grab every opportunity whilst you can x

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
My Dad was diagnosed at 82, turned 95 in March.He lived at home until 2 years ago,not exactly independent but managing
He is very poorly now but then again he is very old.One of his favourite sayings was 'don't meet trouble half way'.Makes perfect sense but so difficult to put into practice

Rich PCA Carer

Aug 31, 2015
North Gloucestershire, UK
We are working on the basis that it is best to do things as soon as possible. We have just come back from Chile, visiting some of the world's biggest telescopes, and plan to go to Andalusia, perhaps Arizona, etc. As long as we can manage it between us we will keep lining up the trips.

We have heard of people who declined quite rapidly and also those who live for 25 years after diagnosis. There are no rules, so just work with your own assessment, but do get good insurance, particularly if you are travelling long haul.

All the best for a good trip to Canada ... soon.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
John lived nearly 12 years after diagnosis. Make as many happy memories as you can, and take lots of photos to look back on xxx

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
spend

I no this is a strange question. my oh as been told he as vaskela dementia and I love him dearly .we have been together 36 year he is 73 I am 56.i try and take it one day at a time but I have read on a page that he may only live 5 to 6 year with this illness if I can call it that can you give me a ruff idear how long your loved ones had as planning a trip to canerda to see relatives and was wondering how long to leav it

VERY SORRY IF THIS UPSETS ENY ONE BUT I AM WORED AND NOT SHOURE HOW TO LISAN TO AS SOME ONE TOLD ME HE MIGHT BE OK FOR 11 YEARS OR SO

Hi my lovely wife June was diagnosed in 2006 with vascular dementia.she is now in a nursing home in late stage of this wicked decease My ADVICE.enjoy life while you can.have good holidays and spend your money.whe went on some lovely holidays .if you don't and keep your money they will only take it off ayou in nursing home fees.get below 14000 pounds we did and I am so glad if I was a millionaire I couldn't take my wife on a holiday so like I said spend spend and take care

tinap

Nov 2, 2014
west midlands

I would say do things as soon as possible don't put anything off if you can avoid it, my mom lasted only 9 months from her diagnosis. Everyone is different some can remain stable for along time or go down hill very quickly. My advice would be enjoy every minute of every day.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
My husband had a formal diagnosis in January 2014 at the age of 81 and died, in March this year. He had been showing symptoms for some time before that but we had a lovely holiday in Italy and several holidays in the UK. He declined very rapidly in the last year. Do whatever you and he can cope with while you have the chance.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Vasnessa sorry if this upsets anyone.

Hi there. I have read your post and that of the others replies. I cannot guess how long the dementia will take and like the others on TP everyone is different. I really hope that if you think you can manage the journey with your OH that you will arrange to go soon, especially if you think it would be manageable now. The trouble is dementia is so changeable that you need to make the most of doing stuff when he is able to. Good luck and let us know if you go and how it was. Lovexxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Vannesser, if l were you l would go to Canada now, while your OH is still able to travel, my husband is late stages of Alzheimers, l took him away one year ago, had to come home, l could not cope with him. Canada is a long journey so go as soon as possible.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I agree with what Pamann says go fairly soon and enjoy. Having said that my husband got Vascular and Alzheimers and is in his 6 year and still pretty stable . You know , he is a bit slower at things but can still do most of what he likes to do . Big hugs xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

carper8

Feb 26, 2014
lincolnshire
my husband is 20 years older than me and he has had vascular for 10 years and he is still at home and not into late stages yet.

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
Go soon while he is in the mild stage and can understand some of what is happening and get some enjoyment.
My mum was diagnosed 4 years ago but probably had dementia for 3-4 years before then. Her GP says apart from the dementia she is fit, and could live for 5 more years. She is 89, oh joy!!!

nanamo

Jun 19, 2014

A few lessons I hold on to are, Firstly don't think about age, its' only a number on a bit of paper, we are all so very different. Secondly don't count the years, only the tax man need to do that! Thirdly do try to pack into each day something positive, a special cup of coffee, a bunch of flowers, a foot massage, a new nail varnish, a hot bath...whatever appeals to you. Take time to relax and do make plans for a holiday, and make happy memories. Good Luck. and do keep chatting, my problem is I am so very isolated and would love to chat to people!

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
you can chat to me eny time

A few lessons I hold on to are, Firstly don't think about age, its' only a number on a bit of paper, we are all so very different. Secondly don't count the years, only the tax man need to do that! Thirdly do try to pack into each day something positive, a special cup of coffee, a bunch of flowers, a foot massage, a new nail varnish, a hot bath...whatever appeals to you. Take time to relax and do make plans for a holiday, and make happy memories. Good Luck. and do keep chatting, my problem is I am so very isolated and would love to chat to people!

thank you if you need to chat there are a lot of people on here to talk to