Y-pants pushed down the loo! any ideas?

Ginnykk5

Jan 6, 2015
Hemel Hempstead
My dad has started flushing his pants down the toilet. So now he dosn't ware them, i can't have him blocking the drains let alone the cost in M&S nickers!

Most throw away paper pants won't flush. Has or does anyone know of any that can be flushed?

:(

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Has or does anyone know of any that can be flushed?

Oh dear... I hope this new habit can soon be broken :-/.

Others will know more than me, but I would be very cautious about flushing anything like that down the loo, even products labelled as 'flushable'. Our neighbours used the flushable baby wipes and eventually the whole drainage system backed up. The guy who came to clear the drains said not to use anything like this (and I think he gave the neighbour a bit of a roasting about it!).

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Oh dear.

One word. Commode!

It has helped our situation greatly, for reasons of mobility and frequency rather than stuffing pants down but it may be a solution for you, if your dad was agreeable to the option?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
There are no flushable disposable knickers and afraid to say if it continues you will end up with high plumber bills. Only way I have been able to stop this is to accompany my mum to the toilet every time. In a moment of inventive madness I did make a trap/filter out of chicken wire, but it caught bits of everything and I was replacing it almost every day, I did say madness! Mum has not done this for a while, but I do still find disposable items around the bathroom, happening in the early hours of the morning. Also tried to get mum to use the commode and she did, but then she immediately poured everything down toilet - more mess for me to clear up.

Ginnykk5

Jan 6, 2015
Hemel Hempstead
Oh dear.

One word. Commode!

sadly he is too set in his ways. he would just ignore it and continue using the loo. This also happens only at night so unless I'm up every couple of hours to stop him .......

but thanks for the suggestion i have a commode already from my mum so in future it may work.

Ginnykk5

Jan 6, 2015
Hemel Hempstead
I thought not, but it was worth asking.
I had same idea as you to put wire down the loo! but then I thought of things getting caught. Also I'm sure he would pull it out! he pulls things out of the bins!
Cant go with him to the loo as it happens at night he's up every 2 to 3 hours, i can't do that (last summer i was getting 3hrs a night nearly had a breakdown).
just incase you were wondering, he now sleeps in his clothes. he puts up a fight if i try otherwise its not worth the agro.

Looks like i will have to just wash his trousers more often. :(

Ginnykk5

Jan 6, 2015
Hemel Hempstead
Oh dear.

One word. Commode!

It has helped our situation greatly, for reasons of mobility and frequency rather than stuffing pants down but it may be a solution for you, if your dad was agreeable to the option?

Alas dad is very very mobile! he has a 3 minuet memory so teaching him to use a commode would be like me learning to fly.
He also thinks he needs no help and looks after himself. But thanks for your idea.

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Ah, ok. I'm sorry. I do hope it stops. That's a real quandary if it's happening at night. Have you the possibility of anyone who can split night and day care with you?

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
That's one thing I'm very very fortunate with. Mum, while sadly she struggles with it in terms of self esteem, she willingly accepts she is very dependent now. She was always a realist. She was also utterly independent so it could have gone either way. Her mobility and sight are heavily compromised so she genuinely is dependent on assistance. The dementia hasn't distorted her realization of this, for the most part.

Wishing you the best. Hope you find some answers here.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I thought not, but it was worth asking.
I had same idea as you to put wire down the loo! but then I thought of things getting caught. Also I'm sure he would pull it out! he pulls things out of the bins!
Cant go with him to the loo as it happens at night he's up every 2 to 3 hours, i can't do that (last summer i was getting 3hrs a night nearly had a breakdown).
just incase you were wondering, he now sleeps in his clothes. he puts up a fight if i try otherwise its not worth the agro.

Looks like i will have to just wash his trousers more often. :(

Have you taken a closer look at what he drinks/eats and what time is his last drink? In order to get a reasonably quiet/dry night.

DaveM

Feb 16, 2016
Houghton Lake, MI U.S.A.
The scary thing is that this thread was just over the thread titled, "Just need to spill" :eek:

I ended up locking the door to the bathroom at night and leaving the commode out. Now, however, she is dependent up me for transfers, as she has lost her mobility. It makes the job of caring for her much harder, but it is actually a bit safer than her. I put her on and off of the commode, and she can't get in too much trouble. I make her put her diaper in the wastebasket, but half the time she takes her socks off and puts them in there too! I was dumping her commode into the toilet and her toothbrush was in it last week. I guess she wanted a new one! Once they start putting things down the toilet they don't seem to stop.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Looking at the problem from another angle, is there anything you can do to prevent the toilet from flushing? That way if the pants were dropped in the bowl, you could fish them out. I know with my old toilet it was possible to open the top of the cistern and unhook the handle.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
The view from a sewer (seamstress)

I dont know if it works but the purpose of undies is to be more washable that the overgarments.

My Dad wants to take the lining out of his two layer outdoor jacket but the loops and press studs are beyond him so it does keep it all as one.

Could you work out a way of fastening the underpants to the trousers/pyjama trousers? Or is he wearing just underpants at night.

BJS

Feb 10, 2017
Great idea!

Looking at the problem from another angle, is there anything you can do to prevent the toilet from flushing? That way if the pants were dropped in the bowl, you could fish them out. I know with my old toilet it was possible to open the top of the cistern and unhook the handle.

My dad drops his cotton hankies down the loo as he is also blind (as well as dementia etc) We have already had to have the entire system unblocked . If he doesn't have his hankies he throws a strop so the idea of stopping the loo flushing is genius! Do you know how to do it??

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
y-pants down loo

would you be able to adapt the child proof type locks used on cupboards/fridges etc ? As you dad is blind,he may not be able to work out -at least for a while- how to release it
My dad drops his cotton hankies down the loo as he is also blind (as well as dementia etc) We have already had to have the entire system unblocked . If he doesn't have his hankies he throws a strop so the idea of stopping the loo flushing is genius! Do you know how to do it??

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My toilet has a stop tap at the side so you could just turn it off to stop the cistern filling. Another way would be to wedge the stop **** up so the cistern wouldn't refil.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

BJS

Feb 10, 2017
would you be able to adapt the child proof type locks used on cupboards/fridges etc ? As you dad is blind,he may not be able to work out -at least for a while- how to release it

Oh dear. Well I asked the carer to disable flush and now he has been on phone to me demanding I call the plumber as the loo won't flush AND when I tried to explain (why do I still bother??) saying his carers are putting hankies down the loo AND now the carers say the loo is really blocked and stinking the house out.... again