I'm going on a course!

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
...tomorrow.. it's the Alzheimer's society Carers information and support programme, four weeks starting tomorrow afternoon. Not quite sure what to expect (and as my mother's journey into vascular dementia has now taken her to permanent residential care , not quite sure how useful it will be) but as I work from home and have flexible hours, I thought it would be a nice weekly trip out and a break from my all day online computer work. :)

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hope all goes well Josephine:) and you find it helpful,we can never have too much knowledge on this unpredicatable illness,hopefully your course master has indeed had experience in being a carer so may bring the human side in rather then just textbook.
Looking forward to your reports on this;)
Chris

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Is it the CRiSP course? I did that one as well last year, though mine was 5 weeks long.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
Is it the CRiSP course?

I did the CRiSP 2 course a couple of years ago and it was 4 weeks long. I got the trainer to email me the course content before it started.

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
How did you hear about it Josephine ? Where is it held ?

I was called by the local Alzheimer's society and asked if I wanted to attend it. I had contacted them last year when my mother first started showing signs of dementia so I guess I am on their books. It's four weeks, and it is the CRiSP course (so I now learn, looking at my letter) It is held in the local branch of the Alzheimer's society which for me is just five minute down the road (another reason for going.)

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
I was called by the local Alzheimer's society and asked if I wanted to attend it. I had contacted them last year when my mother first started showing signs of dementia so I guess I am on their books. It's four weeks, and it is the CRiSP course (so I now learn, looking at my letter) It is held in the local branch of the Alzheimer's society which for me is just five minute down the road (another reason for going.)

Thanks Josephine. I am going to ask
I keep having to call my local society and say remember me. You were going to call or email
me when there was something of interest on

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I've just started on a course here too. An online 6 week course run by the Alzheimer Society of Ireland called Insights into Dementia. Induction week this week so not too taxing!

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi I went on a CriSp course just after my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. There were 4 sessions but they trialled it in our area over two Thursdays with a morning and afternoon session on each day. I found it really helpful and would recommend it to carers, ideally in the early stages of the disease.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
Just coming back to say it was useful and I did enjoy it - three more sessions to go. The first session was about different types of dementia and symptoms and workarounds for coping. To be honest, I knew a lot of it since in the last year I've learned loads from this website but that didn't matter as to me the most useful thing was meeting other dementia carers and sharing experiences. I would recommend the course for that above anything else. I do wish I had gone on this course last year rather than now though (I don't recall being offered it then) when my mother was just being diagnosed rather than now, when she is in a residential care home.
Anyway, I am looking forward to next week and thought I would post to encourage others to take up the offer, especially if you are new to this dementia world:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream