Hoping to get some advice about what stage we're in...

avocadofruit

Apr 20, 2016
Hello all,

I'm struggling with all the different emotions of this time.

My grandmother's health has declined over the past few months, in my opinion due to inadequate care from her aides...

I'm just going to describe the state she's in right now, to see if anyone can recognize it from their own experiences? I'm just confused at what to focus on with her health.

So... Sylvia is 102 years old, and I guess you could say there has been a struggle between her dementia and her own personality/insticts, in a physical sense.

Since her dementia kicked in late 2013, she hasn't *wanted* to eat, but with coaxing and a strong approach from the aides, she did. The not wanting to eat is the dementia side. And then since she was getting food, her personality was very present, and you could see she wanted to live.

Right now, though...since mid-February she's transitioned to an all-liquid diet, mostly of the beverage Ensure. She was drinking about 3 Ensures a day, as of a month ago...but in recent weeks, is down to just 2. (and it might not be the whole drink, but a watered down version to hydrate her a bit).

In the past few weeks she has a much increased sleepiness - like, she would prefer to sleep a LOT throughout the day, long long naps.

In the last week, since she became dehydrated I took her to ER on Monday.
This whole week, she won't drink her Ensures unless I am there to offer them.

<On a personal/venting side, this has become very stressful...because I'm a bouncy, lightspirited 34 yrs old, and it's hard to be the only person responsible for whether another human being will drink fluids every day. My friends have no idea what caregiving entails, I live in a city where everyone is rushing around and not having time to really deeply check in with these situations.>

Does anyone recognize any of this from a loved one?
I'm trying to keep her hydrated, drinking at least 2 bottles (16 ounces) of liquid a day.
She's also lost weight recently...

One of her doctors thinks she has a UTI, but I don't know if her weak little body could handle antibiotics right now, even if that is true.

Any suggestions or recognition, advice...that anyone has?
(sorry, this was a bit of a ramble, just sort of trying to put my thoughts together here...)

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello advocadfruit, l admire you for looking after your Grandmother, at such a great age you deserve a gold medal.
My husband is in a Care Home, l visit him everyday. I have seen sereral very elderly residents with the same problem that you are experiencing. They are taking Ensure, 2 ladies aged 99 and the other 100 have not eaten for several months, after such a long life unfortuneatly their time is running out this is a natural process of our life. Just be there for her as you are doing, you are doing the best you can for her well done. My thoughts are with you

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I agree with Pamann. Also, it could be that your grandmother is having difficulty swallowing liquids. Generally, rather than watering down things, liquids would need to be thickened to make them easier to swallow. But, I'm just going to put this here for you to be thinking about: Your grandmother is extremely old. Generally, at the end of life, people don't die because they have stopped eating and drinking. They stop eating and drinking because they are dying. Their bodies cannot process food and liquids anymore. How eager is your grandmother to take the fluids you offer? The increased sleeping would also sound like your grandmother is reaching the end of her time. I know this can generate a sort of panic in us, and a feeling that we must "do something" - but in reality, it will come to us all. The best thing you can do is spend time with your grandmother, talking to her, make sure she knows you are there for her, but also that you know how tired she must be and that it's ok for her to rest.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I posted this earlier on a different thread...
Just to interrupt.... Avocadofruit, have you tried giving the probiotic yoghurts, that way calories are being introduced at the same time? I certainly think that if the ABs have been introduced and the old lady can swallow them, they should be administered.

but I also have to agree with Lady A...102 is a vast age, and even if you are not ready to part with your Grandma, she may be ready to leave this world..... It's hard being a carer.x.

avocadofruit

Apr 20, 2016
Hello advocadfruit, l admire you for looking after your Grandmother, at such a great age you deserve a gold medal.
My husband is in a Care Home, l visit him everyday. I have seen sereral very elderly residents with the same problem that you are experiencing. They are taking Ensure, 2 ladies aged 99 and the other 100 have not eaten for several months, after such a long life unfortuneatly their time is running out this is a natural process of our life. Just be there for her as you are doing, you are doing the best you can for her well done. My thoughts are with you

Thank you, Pamann, I really appreciate your support & words :).

Thankfully - I just wanted to update you all who posted on this thread, 'cos I really appreciate it - it looks like Sylvia is doing a little better over the last few days.

She really is a strong-willed soul. Hard to describe, esp since I see her so often... she's not really verbalizing her feelings, but I can tell she really appreciates the extra love & care, and it has really shown in her appetite over the last few days.

Today she drank 1 whole smoothie, 1.5 Ensures, and 1 bottle of homemade chicken broth!

I guess my point is that...the dementia is present, but Sylvia is also present. I think she just wants/needs Love, & the feeling that ppl want to spend time with her, directly... we have been having some nice moments this week, to boost up those spirits a little bit.

But... yes, the end of life stuff is very heavy, and I hope that I will rise to the occasion, when I get the clear signals from Sylvia that that is the path she's on... in accepting her & helping to support/guide the way.

Thank you all for responding, and much love to all yr situations as well.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
I am so pleased that your Grandmother is responding to the love she is feeling from you.