Suspected uti

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
My mother has a suspected uti. And has a headache and has been retiring to her bed each day. We are now waiting for a visit from a duty doctor as I have called 111 for the 2nd time in 4 days. It was the ambulance on Monday.

She is feeling extremely sorry for herself but has not picked up. She is taking Trimethoprim.

The most awful thing is my sympathy has run really thin. She is constantly complaining. I am so glad someone is going to check her over as I am frightened I am not noticing things.

Sorry about my rant I feel a little better now.

Candlelight

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
You've got your Mum the help she needs (repeatedly). She's lucky to have you watching out for her.

I'm sure you've already forgiven your Mum for complaining so constantly, realising it's an inevitable part of her illness and dwindling social skills.

Now please forgive yourself for getting a bit tetchy. Saints may be above getting tetchy in circumstances like these ... surely ordinary mortals aren't!

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
The 111 doctor came and checked my mother over. Gave some pain killers for the headache and call Gp in morning to find out results of uti test taken on Wednesday. And possibly get a visit from a Gp. And she would recommend some blood tests to be taken.

She is lying in bed with her eye mask on and curtains closed and untouched drinks by bed and a half eaten ceral bar.

My mother is still not drinking enough or eating much. She keeps on asking what is wrong with her and my patience is burnt out. I am now home (0nly a five minute walk away) I will go back to check on her and give her the antibiotic in a couple of hours. She has a pull cord so can call me if she wants.

I really do not know what to do

Candlelight 67

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
You've got your Mum the help she needs (repeatedly). She's lucky to have you watching out for her.

I'm sure you've already forgiven your Mum for complaining so constantly, realising it's an inevitable part of her illness and dwindling social skills.

Now please forgive yourself for getting a bit tetchy. Saints may be above getting tetchy in circumstances like these ... surely ordinary mortals aren't!

Thank you Also Confused for your reply. You are right I did get my mother the help. I know the alz does not help. I am a not a very good nurse my poor mother. To help my patience levels I m doing some breathing exercises. Which helps with a little distance.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Does it also help to remind yourself "I've only got to get through the next few minutes without blowing my top"? That approach helps me!

A treat afterwards to reward me for my super-human patience is very pleasant too ... the difficulty is in finding anything that's not Bad For Me:eek::eek:.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
you have my sympathies Candlelight67 ( born same year as me?)
Mum has already had 2 UTI's since Jan, with a trip to hospital, and with two suspected ones, but No...tests come back clear, and her GP puts it down to progression of her Alzheimers.
Dad is frantic with the downturn in Mums Alz since Jan, saying she needs to go to hospital to make her right, or she needs more anti biotics.
This week Mum has started taking to her bed at 6.30-7pm. Usually 10pm. I have had to go over and wake her to take her meds.
This morning we are trialling a Carer to get her up and showered, as she has an Alzheimers activity group to go to.
I have just been over, and she seems her "usual" self..... its so hard isn't it :(

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
Thank you everyone for your comments. It is comforting in an absurd sort of way that other people are having similar experiences. You all have my 100% admiration and of course sympathy.

Also Confused the idea of not blowing my top for ten minutes then a reward makes sense. I too would have things that are bad for me as a reward.

Linbusco 67 was quite a year

I am about to pop back round to my mother. I hope she is feeling better.

I wish everyone on TP the best kind of day they can have.

Candlelight 67

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
Need some more advice

My mother has had a uti for about two weeks. She is now on her second course of antibiotics nitrofurantoin which she started on Tuesday. Her appetite has improved and she was up and dressed for the later end of yesterday. Today though she has not wanted to dress and keeps on going back to bed and is complaining of a headache. Her new sample is not back from the hospital. She is eating OK and will drink if reminded. She also seems depressed.

I am intending to contact the surgery if still worried on Monday plus the results should be back. If things get worse I have 111.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar.

d4109125

Mar 25, 2016
It is crucial that she remains well hydrated, juice, tea, coffee, water, whatever she likes. Without adequate hydration the urine doesn't leave the bladder for some time and infection has the time to increase. There is some antidotal evidence to suggest that cranberry juice may help women with UTIs, some people also suggest lemon juice in water to increase acidity as this nay also help to reduce infection. Personal hygiene also plays a role, perhaps a daily bath to submerge genetalia would be beneficial or taking a shower then bath after a BM. You should try and keep a fluid intake diary of you can to document how much she's drinking. I'd say at least 2 litres a day during infection, but do be aware of fluid retention in those with Heart Failure. Also ensure she's having frequent BMs as if her motions are backed up this only increases pressure on bladder and chance of UTI. If she's not regular discuss sena tablets with GP.

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
It is crucial that she remains well hydrated, juice, tea, coffee, water, whatever she likes. Without adequate hydration the urine doesn't leave the bladder for some time and infection has the time to increase. There is some antidotal evidence to suggest that cranberry juice may help women with UTIs, some people also suggest lemon juice in water to increase acidity as this nay also help to reduce infection. Personal hygiene also plays a role, perhaps a daily bath to submerge genetalia would be beneficial or taking a shower then bath after a BM. You should try and keep a fluid intake diary of you can to document how much she's drinking. I'd say at least 2 litres a day during infection, but do be aware of fluid retention in those with Heart Failure. Also ensure she's having frequent BMs as if her motions are backed up this only increases pressure on bladder and chance of UTI. If she's not regular discuss sena tablets with GP.

Thank you for your reply. I will start to monitor more closely what she is drinking . I did ask about BM but she said she was fine I will be more forceful. She likes tea and coffee. The apple juice I got her and the elderf!owed cordial have not gone down well. Must try harder.