Missing dentures!

Lisapa

Apr 14, 2016
My mum has vascular dementia and has lost her bottom set of dentures. We have turned the house upside down & checked in bins, etc, but to no avail. My mum is not very mobile due to osteoporosis. So - does anyone know how to go about getting a new set of dentures, hopefully someone can come to the house & if there is a subsidy on Nhs for dementia patients? Many thanks

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My Mum used to take hers out....in the later months especially. In fact just before she died she had lost her lower ones and her uppers were in her bedside drawer. We had hunted high and low in the care home. She was moved into a hospital bed 36 hours before her death and we found her originals under the matress on her own bed, probably due to a bedding change.
Ring round your local Dentists, I'm sure someone should be able to help her. There is no subsidy because of Dementia, however there may be some help with costs if she is in receipt of certain benefits.
I actually just collected new NHS dentures for myself today and the total cost was under £250 if that helps.:D

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
If someone comes to the house, do check the price,some of them charge an absolute fortune!! I'm guessing you've checked down the side of the settee?
It might be worth finding a local dentist with a downstairs surgery and easy access, some of them are really good about things like that

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
in know how you feel about the missing dentures,my hubby went into care and in the first 3 months he lost 2 sets of dentures,i did find a dentist to go to the home,but i still had to pay full price like we do at our own dentist although this is NHS.
the carers and family were always looking out for his dentures ,and we found some on top of some ones else wardrobe,its trying to think where they may have put them ,but they are cleverer than us at hiding things,we never did find the 2 sets of dentures,,and have hoped and prayed he doesnt lose this set,good luck youll find them when your not looking.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Please get her referred to a community dental service, they deal with difficult patients and can also make house calls. They will charge NHS prices unless she is exempt.

Lisapa

Apr 14, 2016
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I've found a mobile dentist & also a dentist without steps, so am going to see how mum is mobility wise over the weekend. Meantime I am cooking plenty of soft foods! She enjoyed mashed potato tonight Thanks again

Lisapa

Apr 14, 2016
Please get her referred to a community dental service, they deal with difficult patients and can also make house calls. They will charge NHS prices unless she is exempt.

Thanks - how long does this take ?

TrixieB

Jul 2, 2015
My mum lost 3 sets - she would wrap them in a tissue and they would be thrown out. She now refuses to let the dentist fit her for another set so not much we can do.