The beginning of the end?

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
I can't believe she's still here! Slept with one ear open last night as I fully expected the Marie Curie nurse to call us. We sat with her from 5pm -10pm last night as her breathing was so slow and shallow that we couldn't hear it on the monitor.

She has had a peaceful night and her breathing now sounds stronger than yesterday! I'm totally amazed at how long her body is taking to shut down although why should I be surprised? In the past 6 and a half years she has been in fine health physically, not even a cold just the blessed UTI's. As the Hospice at Home nurse said on Sunday she isn't at all thin and frail and has a fair amount of fat on her to sustain her body for a good while.

It's hard sitting and waiting for her to waste away but this is the very last thing we can do for her and we'll do it to the best of our ability which has been our attitude all the way along. Who can say what is right and wrong, we are just doing the best we can but I am hoping that she lets go soon.

Pouring with rain here at the moment, Millie asleep at my feet, doesn't appear to have the energy to jump on the sofa next to be with her big fat tummy :D

What will today bring? ......

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
You are certainly both doing your very best for your MIL Margaret.

Thinking of you all.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Still here holding your hand

Like a twit, I forgot my phone charger and now very low on phone food.

Hope, once I get home, I get to hear about my puppy that you are kindly going to look after for me ;) :)

Squishy hugs xxxxxxx

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Just had a bit of a giggle, listening to MIL heavy breathing from the monitor and Millie now on the sofa not panting but making quite a bit of a noise breathing. I'm surrounded by heavy breathers this morning :D:D

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi Margaret, just checking how things are this morning. Hope you had some sleep. Xx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
With Millie, I'd worry more about the pushing than the panting!! Bless her.x.
My Mum snored her way out of this world, very comfortably..... and I'm sure I snored once or twice whilst sitting with her.....:D
Have a comfortable day.x.x.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Morning....................................

Margaret , have been *dipping* in & out of this Thread these last few days & was saddened :( too read about your Mother-in-Law is , however am so glad she is able too stay at Home* for her finial days & you are all having the excellent helped needed from M Curie Nurse's etc ( & yes agree with other's when you posted about when you had the Annex door open etc & all was peace & quiet etc Just right Margaret as it should be )

No advice but just want too send you my Love , Support , Strength & BIG HUGS in the days & weeks too come

Love & Kind thoughts too you & your family

Grove x

P S Looking forward too the Puppy :) Photo's ! Hope Millie is okay today , we had a yellow Lab > but no puppies ( will you be having / keeping Millie 2 ? or have you not decided yet ? ! ) x

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Thanks Grove. Will will be keeping a Millie no2 from the litter. Pics will be posted when they get here.

All quiet at the moment apart from the ruddy syringe driver that has started beeping as they haven't yet been to fill it. Call to DN to remind them, I'm sure they are on their way but the beeping getting on my nerves!! Oops here they are, good timimg!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Right Ho. Home again (jiggedy jigg)

It's not your puppy you are keeping, ITS MINE :D

Hope the huffing and puffing from Millie is getting results soon. Not sure you can wait much longer for them to arrive, your thumbs will be twiddled into cork screws.....

Why is it most of my conversations with you are something to do with grape :rolleyes: :D

Thank you for a lovely day. You are a wonderful hostess with the mostest :)

xxxxxx

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Well here I am again, what an afternoon!

DN came as I posted last at 1.47pm. I left her in annexe to fill syringe driver, she came over when she'd finished to get our phone number for Hospice at Home. I wrote it on a post it note and said "I'll come back over with you" We went in and took one look at MIL, looked at each other and said together "she's gone". This was 2.15pm.

I came over to the house to tell Dave who was upstairs and Millie was at the top of the stairs whinging and panting :eek::eek:. I just knew this was going to happen, it's as if a switch had been flicked MIL had gone and Millie had started in labour :eek::D:eek:

DN was lovely, called the surgery, took out catheter and syringe driver and helped me to change the sheet and put her pj bottoms on. Community nurse came out to certify death quite quickly and the undertakers were lovely when they came too.

Dave and I did a "high five over her bed. We are so pleased that we achieved what we set out to when his Dad died which was to look after her at home until the end of her life. She has had the best possible care for six and a half years, our lives have been put on hold and it has been really challenging at times but I wouldn't have change it. The satisfaction that I feel for "a job well done" is immeasurable.

So, The Natural Death Handbook was put away and The Book of The Bitc* , a complete guide to understanding and caring for bitche* has come out and I am now in midwife role :D:D:eek::D:D. Lots of panting going on, Millie is in the whelping box which she hasn't been near since we set it up a week ago and I am now camped out in the kitchen on a comfy chair. No puppies yet, I don't really expect there to be any this side of midnight.

I will start a new thread in the tea room, with pics when the puppies are here. For now The beginning of the end? has come to the end.

Rest in peace MIL and thank you for all the personal lessons I learnt from you on this journey. It has been a priveledge. A teacher to the end.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm glad your MIL is at peace now. You have been stars for her. Thinking of you all.

Good luck with pups.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Thinking of you and your family Margaret. I do admire you for what you have done xxx

Looking forward to seeing Millie' s babies, it doesn't seem long ago that you were posting photo of her as an adorable puppy!

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
It sounds like a very peaceful end, which you all deserved.

Good luck with the new puppies, it seems right they should arrive tonight.

Take care xx