Mums first day in care home

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
I took a half day yesterday so I could take some clothes and toiletries to mum as she was moved from hospital to the care home yesterday. I was worried about what things to say to her if she started asking when we were going home. Anyway....I get there, one of the carers show me to one of the many living rooms, and she's in there chatting away to another lady and was as happy as a pig in sh............ I chatted to several of the staff too, they all seem lovely. I have a good feeling about this place and I slept soundly for the first time in over 4 years. I think that with mum moving there, my stresses will decrease to a minimum and my relationship with mum will improve :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
Lovely news for you and your Mum - sounds like a great home and good to know you feel confident and will get some much needed proper sleep. Think many TP people struggle with a non-existent sleep pattern which is so draining.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good news Kazza. It`s such a relief to know the care is being shared and the person with dementia feels once again at home.

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
My mum has been in her care home for 6 weeks now. She is doing so well and loves the company and all the activities. She seems so much happier in herself, less stressed and worried.
I think she still has sun downing some late afternoons when she is looking for little children but it is much less than when she was at home living alone.

I think the stress of caring for my dad and my mum is finally easing but I do feel very emotional now as if I am grieving for them both. Dad died last year but mum had deteriorated by then so I never had time to process his death ( he had had dementia for at least 10 yrs). I also feel like I have lost mum as well now, I know I can see her but I can't phone her for a chat, tell her any worries I have, ask for her advice or any of the other things a mum does. I also dread what is ahead, I do not want her to become incontinent, forget who I am, have to be spoon fed and then watch her slowly fade away when she forgets how to swallow. I don't feel strong enough to go through it again.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((hugs)))) betsie - just live one day at a time. Easy to say - hard to live! But try not to think about it. Enjoy the time that you have with your mum and remind yourself that she is much better there. Perhaps you will be able to take her out for short outings in the summer :)
Yes you probably are grieving for your dad - the grief may have been put on ice due to your circumstances, but it wont have gone away. Please be gentle with yourself.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
So Good Too.....................

I took a half day yesterday so I could take some clothes and toiletries to mum as she was moved from hospital to the care home yesterday. I was worried about what things to say to her if she started asking when we were going home. Anyway....I get there, one of the carers show me to one of the many living rooms, and she's in there chatting away to another lady and was as happy as a pig in sh............ I chatted to several of the staff too, they all seem lovely. I have a good feeling about this place and I slept soundly for the first time in over 4 years. I think that with mum moving there, my stresses will decrease to a minimum and my relationship with mum will improve :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Read Kazza Great news ! am so pleased :) for you both & glad your Mum found a *friend* on her first day , yes am sure your stress will decrease when you can *share* the care & hope you have another good visit soon

Best Wishes for your both

Grove x

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs

Long may it continue. :)