In need of a virtual hug

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hello Lou, I'm pleased that you had a good weekend with your mum, that sea air is good for sleep, can you send me a bottle of it down for dad please !!! dad is stable at the moment but still mostly confused, his weight is dropping again ...poor thing he is only 7 st 10lb but at least we haven't had anymore health scares and all his conditions seem settled at the moment xxxx

Morning all.

It's nice to hear your dad is a bit more stable, Gill. Hope you enjoyed your bottle of wine.

It's nice to hear about your wee tri to the seaside, Lou. We managed a cuppa and a tea cake at the seaside on Sunday, too cold round here for ice cream and OH's mobility is making it a bit more work than it used to be but it's good to get away for a bit.

Good to see you popping in Jenny, hope all is well after your troubles and hard anniversary.

All the best for better days everyone.

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Hello everyone! Great to catch up with you all!
So, today the CPN came to visit mum. Her MMSE score hasn't changed although her day to day short term memory is considerably worse. CPN offered advice on how to improve mum's diet (not holding out much hope as she is very stubborn when she doesn't want to cooperate) and mum was fine if somewhat 'closed down' for the duration of the visit. CPN leaves and mum goes into full drama queen mode! "I was fine until THAT woman came", " why did SHE have to come here?", " I wish your dad was still here" (well, mum, that makes two of us)
CPN is going to suggest anti depressants in the hope it will lift mum's mood and encourage her to eat better ("but I eat what I want ", " yes mum but what you want might not be what is best for you".
CPN suggested a befriender but that was met with a flat no
I know there are no easy answers but, goodness, it makes me feel better letting off steam to friends who understand!!
Love to you all!!
Jenny xxx

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Morning all.

It's nice to hear your dad is a bit more stable, Gill. Hope you enjoyed your bottle of wine.

It's nice to hear about your wee tri to the seaside, Lou. We managed a cuppa and a tea cake at the seaside on Sunday, too cold round here for ice cream and OH's mobility is making it a bit more work than it used to be but it's good to get away for a bit.

Good to see you popping in Jenny, hope all is well after your troubles and hard anniversary.

All the best for better days everyone.

Evening rob,thank you for your wishes for dad,sorry it was too cold for you to stay longer at the coast,but at least it was a little outing and has you say its good to get away for a bit,I wish that I lived closer to the sea !!! xxx...PS I enjoyed the wine !!!
dads been on good form today and was enjoying my visit ...until one of the nurses asked if I was gill because she told me that he is always calling out for me....now I have the guilt monster back especially with dad having a good day today ..I know these days are few and far between but it does make me wonder about dads future ,if only he would sleep at night ...oh well sorry for going on xxx

Last edited:

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
First attempt at twiddle muffs !!

My first attempt at twiddle muffs as you can see I'm not an accomplished knitter but hoping to get better as I go xx

Attachments

• IMG_20160412_220011.jpg
    IMG_20160412_220011.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 334

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
My first attempt at twiddle muffs as you can see I'm not an accomplished knitter but hoping to get better as I go xx

Wish I could do as good:eek:

Wish I could knit for someone ,..if I could. Dad would put it under the chair with his slippers, mug, plate, shoes :confused:

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
Hi Gill

I love your pic of the twiddle muff. I have just started a new pattern with cabling up the front. It's the first time I have done cabling. With oh out at work, I can turn off the telly and concentrate.

I just wanted to let you know that Dad's funeral went well last Monday. He had the Union Jack and the service was in a beautiful setting. Lots of people came and we made more than enough food. I read a funny poem of Dad's and the whole chapel laughed, which Dad would have liked. Oh came down and was a bearer like he was for my Mum too.

I have since had time to process it and feel it went well. We all pulled together and it went according to plan.

I hope you are all well and enjoying the spring weather. It was warm today.

Lots of love, Heidi xx

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hi Gill

I love your pic of the twiddle muff. I have just started a new pattern with cabling up the front. It's the first time I have done cabling. With oh out at work, I can turn off the telly and concentrate.

I just wanted to let you know that Dad's funeral went well last Monday. He had the Union Jack and the service was in a beautiful setting. Lots of people came and we made more than enough food. I read a funny poem of Dad's and the whole chapel laughed, which Dad would have liked. Oh came down and was a bearer like he was for my Mum too.

I have since had time to process it and feel it went well. We all pulled together and it went according to plan.

Lots of love, Heidi xx

Its good to hear from you Heidi, I am so pleased that all went well we were all thinking of you xxx and hope that you are beginning to move on xxx
As for the twiddle muffs cable is a bit beyond me yet ha ha !!!
take care xxxx

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
You have done great gill . I have one for my mum that she uses , but yours is so much better , as it has an enormous amount of love knitted into the pattern . You can't beat that ! ( mines was made by a friend) . I'm glad that your dads condition appears to have plateaued . I know he has lost a lot of weight but hopefully soon he will put some back on . I hope your looking after yourself . Easier said than done , but I do hope you are .

Hi Jenny , it would be so good if your mum would embrace the idea of a befriender. I do believe , since I employed a carer for my mum , her condition is much better . She adores her carer and her behaviour has much improved . She still has her moments but she is so content and I can't believe how settled she has become . It would be good if your mum could even trial it . Best wishes to you both.
Hello to everyone else on this thread , I hope things are okay for you . Best wishes , Lou X

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
It's lovely to hear from you Heidi . I have been thinking of you and hoping you are bearing up . That's good that your dads funeral went as well as it could . I hope you are taking some time to yourself and haven't forgotten about going into the caring profession . With your skills and experience , you're a natural . Best wishes as always , Lou xx

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
You have done great gill . I have one for my mum that she uses , but yours is so much better , as it has an enormous amount of love knitted into the pattern . You can't beat that ! ( mines was made by a friend) . I'm glad that your dads condition appears to have plateaued . I know he has lost a lot of weight but hopefully soon he will put some back on . I hope your looking after yourself . Easier said than done , but I do hope you are .

Hi Jenny , it would be so good if your mum would embrace the idea of a befriender. I do believe , since I employed a carer for my mum , her condition is much better . She adores her carer and her behaviour has much improved . She still has her moments but she is so content and I can't believe how settled she has become . It would be good if your mum could even trial it . Best wishes to you both.
Hello to everyone else on this thread , I hope things are okay for you . Best wishes , Lou X
Hello Lou, I think the photo is making them look better than they are in the flesh so to speak, but I will keep practising it takes my mind off things, hope that you and your mum are OK xxx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi Gill

Lots of love, Heidi xx

Good to hear from you Heidi. It was nice that your dad's funeral went well and you gave him a good send off too.
All the best to you as you settle in back in the City and wish you luck in your job hunting. Rob

cat64

Sep 1, 2014
Evening everyone............beautiful twiddlemuff pictures Gill well done. A friend has just made me one for my mum . I am hopeless at all craft things =[

Had to laugh this morning when I visited my mum she was being seriously stroppy about washing and hadn't showered for 3 days...I was majorly encouraging and said wouldn't be wonderful to freshen up!

Well then I pottered off to have a quick word with the team leader and came back to find her virtually naked and sat on her bed with the door wide open!...and saying well you want me to wash don't you! Having not seen my mum bare for probably 40 years I was mildly stunned but grabbed a passing carer and we did a joint effort of getting her to shower wash hair and put on something different from her favourite red jumper! Do have relations who are obsessed with one outfit all the time?
Wondering whether to buy 5 matching red v necks for her?

We then whisked her round to watch a singer who had come to do war time songs in the home.....she wasnt overly impressed and walked out midway!

You have to smile or you cry dont you how much and how they change so quickly =[

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire

Lou,

I would love to introduce a befriender. If anyone has any suggestions how I can do it I would be very grateful!
Mum is in deep denial (a trait she has always exhibited throughout her life) Any suggestions I make are met with an emphatic "no". She was complaining about the state of her garden so I suggested she could have a gardener to do the tough work (mowing, weeding etc) as she can easily afford it. " No" she said, "I like to get out for a couple of hours a day". She hasn't done anything in the garden since Dad died (two years ago)
Mum isn't that bad compared to many of your loved ones (still classed as mild) but I am running out of ideas how to help her keep her independence (and my sanity!!)
Jenny xxx

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Cat 64 . Your mum sounds like mine . You would think I was asking her to jump in a bath of acid when I suggest a shower . She doesn't mind getting her daily wash but for some reason getting in the shower is torture . She also likes the colour red but I know with PWD , this colour is preferred . I have got my mum a few different tops and jumpers and if you walk her to choose what she wants to wear , she always goes for one of the red tops . Yellow is also a colour favoured by PWD . We now have to wear big yellow badges at work with out names on it . Wishing you and your mum my best wishes . Lou X

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hi Cat 64 . Your mum sounds like mine . You would think I was asking her to jump in a bath of acid when I suggest a shower . She doesn't mind getting her daily wash but for some reason getting in the shower is torture . She also likes the colour red but I know with PWD , this colour is preferred . I have got my mum a few different tops and jumpers and if you walk her to choose what she wants to wear , she always goes for one of the red tops . Yellow is also a colour favoured by PWD . We now have to wear big yellow badges at work with out names on it . Wishing you and your mum my best wishes . Lou X

Isn't it strange how pwd react in different ways my dads the opposite about washing himself he even sits in his chair having imaginary washes using his hankie like a flannel or sponge xxx

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Jenny , the alzheimers society have a befriending service which you can access . I think it's volunteers who devote time . Maybe your mum would like that . I hope she does . I have seen such a difference in my mum since we got a carer . She is absolutely fabulous and my mum adores her . Hopefully your mum will agree . Best wishes to you both . Lou X