Local authority funded care homes

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
Thank you Grove. I have contacted relatives far and wide and asked them to email me some family photos as I want to create a collage to have in her room. Do I need to provide her own towels?

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Congratulations! Not towels but her own toiletries. Make sure you label everything and make your own inventory list. Don't rely on the one they'll make of her belongings!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Really pleased that you perseverance has paid off Kazza. Hope mum settles in quickly and you can then relax a bit. These struggles are very wearing.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Thank you Grove. I have contacted relatives far and wide and asked them to email me some family photos as I want to create a collage to have in her room. Do I need to provide her own towels?

Kazza, do take copies of any really precious photos, use the copies in the collage and keep the originals safe (thinking of old black & white photos -- once lost, irreplaceable.) In fact, anything at all that your Mum or yourself would be upset to lose, try to replicate it and keep the original safe.

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
Thanks sleepless, I will, mum is quite destructive so all precious things will be kept safe. What a roller coaster life has been for the last few years

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Good news Kazza, I hope it goes well. Its also useful to photograph things (as someone suggested the other day, maybe laid out on a bed) as it does simplify things when you are trying to explain what has gone missing as invariably things do.

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
Very good news Kazza - do hope it all goes ok tomorrow for you.

Don't forget about changing/reporting that irritant SW. to assume that anyone who is
'White UK' has no faith needs is apalling.

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Great news Kazza,

I will be thinking of you both tomorrow and hope that everything goes well for you.

Well done for getting it all sorted for your Mum

Pauline
xx

Hex

May 24, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I have been following this tread with interest. A year ago my mum moved to Extra care accommodation.we were assured this would be the last move she would ever make. I had my doubts then and I am getting more and more concerned that she needs more care. She had underlying health issues even before Vascular Dementia was diagnosed. She has now been diagnosed with Altzhimers. My worry is she is getting more and more problematic. Her mood swings especially at night are a concern. Thankfully the staff are great and I hope she won't have to be moved. If she did need nursing care I would like to know how I find out about suitable care homes in her local area. Do I go through her SW or can I approach care homes by myself and make my own assessment? This is new to me but something I want to be familiar with just incase. Thanks for looking at my confused bubbly and I do hope I made sense enough to get this groups advice.
Sylvia

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
I have been following this tread with interest. A year ago my mum moved to Extra care accommodation.we were assured this would be the last move she would ever make. I had my doubts then and I am getting more and more concerned that she needs more care. She had underlying health issues even before Vascular Dementia was diagnosed. She has now been diagnosed with Altzhimers. My worry is she is getting more and more problematic. Her mood swings especially at night are a concern. Thankfully the staff are great and I hope she won't have to be moved. If she did need nursing care I would like to know how I find out about suitable care homes in her local area. Do I go through her SW or can I approach care homes by myself and make my own assessment? This is new to me but something I want to be familiar with just incase. Thanks for looking at my confused bubbly and I do hope I made sense enough to get this groups advice.
Sylvia

Hi Sylvia, when I felt the one suggestion of a care home was not satisfactory for me or my mum, I called the Alzheimer's Society who suggested I call FirstStop. They were a great help. If you don't get through to someone you can request a call back and try are very quick at getting back to you. They will advise you where to look online for care homes and what questions to ask when you call them. The web address is:

http://www.firststopcareadvice.org.uk/access-services/public/

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Sylvia

one of the best places to get the local info on what's good and what's not is the local carers cafe (and you get a cup of coffee and friendly faces who understand). At our carers cafe you get all the local gossip on care homes, care agencies, general advice - google your area with carers cafe or give your local carers association a ring. Really useful xxx