Begging to GO HOME.

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
After I'd had a lovely 24 hours break thanks to wonderful privately arranged companion ,today we had some toilet difficulties that meant we arrived half an hour late for an appointment at the GP. The nurse was going to do a blood test as they thought husband might be borderline diabetic. We've often waited more than half an hour so I thought she would see us anyway, but was told she wouldn't because "it would eat into her lunch hour". . I'm afraid I said in a sarcastic way" wouldn't want that to happen would we?"

Truth is, I think borderline diabetes is less of an issue than the sleeplessness and sundowning.

We went to bed around 10pm after about four hours of major fretting, and he fell asleep around 10.30, but woke very anxious at 11.45 and has only just gone back to sleep. Being woken when you're in your deepest sleep is so horrible....

I can't imagine any care home keeping him with that much wakefulness.

Oh Anne, I am sure there is a CH that would be able to help your hubby. Robert didn't sleep for months when he was here and then in the CH and they always managed him and said it was their job to do so. They are trained for just this sort of behaviour at night. As for the nurse not seeing you because it was her lunch time I think is atrocious especially under your circumstances. Sending you a huge ((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))) and lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Anne
My dad was up and down all night before his sleeping tablet, raiding fridge , making toast, wanting to go out, now he sleeps through.

Nurse and her lunch break tsk. Very helpful not.
My dad is diabetic so I understand that part, mum checks his sugars morning and night and is on tabs for it.

There are homes to cope Anne, don't get into your head that there arnt.
Hubby needs calming down.
You need respite initially and looking at homes, dementia homes.

We are with you Anne xxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I can't imagine any care home keeping him with that much wakefulness.

It`s what homes are for Anne. They have shift workers unlike primary family carers who are expected to stay awake round the clock.

The level of care you are providing is unsustainable without some damage to your own health.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
What does a Community Psychiatric Nurse actually do? I emailed ours on Friday, mega Sundowning having started early. No response. (Everyone's favourite GP here added us on at the end of his shift, and gave us a prescription which we obtained at our late night pharmacy. Husband slept all night, first time for ages.)
Still no word from CPN. I was told she would monitor my husband, but she never makes contact.

Our privately arranged respite friend needs to give up the four hours on a Friday for a few weeks. I'll miss that, as I can't make phone calls while caring for my husband because he is constantly at my side, and he views any phone conversation relating to his Dementia as disloyalty on my part. The strange thing is he will speak of it to friends, even making a joke of it, but I suppose he believes that as long as I'm there to help him, we can manage. He pays lip service to how tired I must be, but demands the impossible moments later.

Tomorrow I'll have my 24 hours of freedom, but won't be able to fit in all that needs to be done.

And no reply from the Care Home that insisted on two weeks respite. I suspect they don't really want anyone so demanding.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Community Psychiatric Nurses are expected to do far more than yours is doing Anne, that`s for sure.

I know I was very lucky with ours who still follows me on TP but even so. You are in dire straits and really need more support than you are getting.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Keep ringing , emailing Anne . If they can avoid do anything THEY WILL !
Do her 'head in' .
As for the CH get onto them too, they string you along . Nag Nag Nag Nag.
Get the tears ready !

((((Hugs))))) xxxxx K

pony-mad

May 23, 2014
Mid-Wales
My cpn is brilliant. I would have gone under without her support.
Give them one more opportunity and if you don't get the action you so badly need go immediately to their superior. And mention carer breakdown!!!! Good luck X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

lesleymillachip

Oct 6, 2014
My friends husband used to do that ad she would go out the front door saying goodbye - your wife will be back soon, and wak round the back and come in shouting ' hi love, i'm home' that worked for a while with him. good luck xxxx

My husband wanted to go home to his wife. When asked where it was he gave our address but it was not home to him or me his wife. I think home is a place where they remember feeling safe, happy and leading a normal life, not the mixed up frightening world they are now living in.

When he asked when his wife was coming to take him home I would tell him she was stuck in traffic, at the hairdressers, dentist etc and would he help me do something while we waited. It could be preparing veg., cutting the lawn etc. it did distract him for a while and so he was calmer. it became part of our daily routine

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
It gets more like Alice in Wonderland every day here. Yesterday husband was demanding that I get hold of the other three Annes,who were in the back garden apparently, so that he could show me that they disagree with what I'd been suggesting!

Sunday was gloriously sunny here, making much worse the fact that I felt really poorly most of the day. After two days that had been much too busy and included a sudden emergency return from my night away from home, I got a scary pain in my chest and rapidly besting heart, plus feeling nauseous. After taking an aspirin and trying to rest quietly while he was outside shouting " is anybody there to help us?" the pain gradually subsided. I'd thought I was feeling cold because I was dying, but it turned out he'd opened all the doors and windows! :D I think our neighbours were too busy driving to church with their car windows shut to notice my husband was distressed!

Better now, but still no reply from the CPN.

Last edited:

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Oh Anne . When were you last checked over at gp ?
Wish there were another 3 of me some days, gets things done faster :D
XXXX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Anne please make an emergency appointment with your GP. If your husband has to go with you so be it. Have witnesses to his behaviours.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Totally agree with Sylvia Anne. You really need to see your GP. If your husband has to go with you then might be for the better as the GP could witness some of what you are coping with.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Thank you both for your concern... We had an appointment quite recently, GP squeezed us in at the end of his day, but from behaving like a raving lunatic at home husband rapidly changed into a perfectly rational if a little confused, person! It's hard to believe the transformation!

And if I can't find respite, how can I be ill?

Will try harder in the respite front....

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
It may be stress/panic attack.... But I agree with others, you MUST go and see GP (again) to get it checked out.

Host with the most syndrome.... Not helpful is it when you need the situation to be seen as it really is..... Hugs xx

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
Anne - I filmed my husband on my phone during one of his extreme sundowning and delusional sessions as he was always on best behaviour when the CPN called - or anyone else for that matter. I wasn't too bothered about actually filming all his behaviour (as it would have enraged him more if he knew what I was doing) as long as I got the rantings and ravings recorded.

I then played it to the CPN and social worker, which proved how he was when we were on our own. Could you do that to convince someone that you need him to go for emergency respite?

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Something finally happened; the Consultant rang. The CPN is on maternity leave and didn't get my messages.Sodium Valproate made no difference at all, so that's been stopped, and we started today on Diazepan. Have just read up about it, and it is definitely NOT ADVISED for Dementia agitation.

Everything I can find recommends improving the standard of caring :eek::eek:

I'm utterly exhausted from smiling, calming, reassuring, and answering questions non stop every minute of the waking hours, creating enjoyable but not too exhausting outings, and thinking of pleasant ways to pass the time. I haven't even had a loo visit without it being cut short. We've had a few proper nights of sleep recently, helped by sleeping tablets, but what I need is respite for both of us.

People pop in and visit, are kind and thoughtful, but husband then says he wants to go home.... If nobody visits he says he's been abandoned by all his friends. I wish someone who knows all about Compassionate Communication would come and show me how it's done.....

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Something finally happened; the Consultant rang. The CPN is on maternity leave and didn't get my messages.Sodium Valproate made no difference at all, so that's been stopped, and we started today on Diazepan. Have just read up about it, and it is definitely NOT ADVISED for Dementia agitation.

I'm utterly exhausted from smiling, calming, reassuring, and answering questions non stop every minute of the waking hours, creating enjoyable but not too exhausting outings, and thinking of pleasant ways to pass the time. I haven't even had a loo visit without it being cut short. We've had a few proper nights of sleep recently, helped by sleeping tablets, but what I need is respite for both of us.

People pop in and visit, are kind and thoughtful, but husband then says he wants to go home.... If nobody visits he says he's been abandoned by all his friends. I wish someone who knows all about Compassionate Communication would come and show me how it's done.....

Oh Anne sorry you are having such a time of it :( Diazepam is that not a muscle relaxant???? I take that for my back??? I wish I could help my dear friend . Sending understanding hugs xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden

Oh Anne, I am so sorry you are having such a bad time of it. I don't think Diazepan should be given to your husband, as Heike says they are for pain. As you say you desperately need respite. Sending massive hugs and lots of love, Diana xxxxxxxxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Christine03