No solutions expected - just needing to share.....

lesedland

Oct 14, 2013
Bit of a rant. Apologies in advance. No answers expected, just needing to share with people who I know will understand!

Dad is 91 with mixed AZ/VD. He still lives at home with my mum (84) who is main carer. They are about a 50-mile round trip from me so not too far. I went down to a 4 days week last year so that I could help more and I visit at twice a week, sometimes more, and stay over when I can to help mum. A carer comes for 2 hours once a week to take Dad out (if he will go). As of this month Dad gets the higher attendance allowance rate. With the help of the local branch of the Alzheimer's Society we should shortly get a carer and a financial assessment.

Since Xmas dad's evening/night time agitations ("going home") have got worse and worse. He is on memantine (since mid-December) and risperidone (started just over 2 weeks ago). When the consultant prescribed the risperidone he also advided mum that we needed to begin thinking about respite care for both their sakes.

During the day Dad is mostly fairly high-functioning considering that the consultant says he is now in the advanced stages: he looks at his newspapers, works on his stamp collection (for 2 hours at a time sometimes), can engage in unchallenging conversations, will watch some of his WW2 dvds. He is currently continent and can dress/undress with a bit of guidance re clean underwear etc.

The evenings are the bad times. I feel sick all day thinking about them. I have suggested to mum that we try to get an evening visit from the carer to help in dealing with some of the repetitive questioning during those bad times but she says she doesn't want "visitors" in the evening. She says the same about morning visits to help her sort breakfast etc. When Dad had a bad night last week I went over to stay and mum and I had a long conversation about not questioning him or contradicting him (eg. "THIS is your home!" "What do you mean?") during the bad sundowning. She's trying to go with lines like "we are staying here tonight" as she knows she has been trying to pull him back to a reality he can't grasp - though that still leads to dad asking whether the owners know and that's a tough one to answer.

The only thing I haven't tried is moving back home for good. I am unmarried and childless so could do that in theory. Mum insists she doesn't want that but if she will not let carers do more what else can I do? I can't let her struggle on alone, face Dad's agitation and verbal aggression alone. I have visisted 3 care homes with a view to respite and long term care. Two were good in their different ways though the second said that that Dad was too high-functioning at present fot the level of care they provide. But Mum is not ready to agree to either respite or full-time and my brother does not think we have reached that stage yet either. In my heart I am not sure myself, I'm just desperate to ease the pressure on mum. The carer is very supportive and happy to go in whenever she is asked, or try taking Dad to day care - but as she says, she cannot force help on my mum - mum has to accept it - and that is a struggle in itself. Sometimes she tells me not to nag her. I don't meant to but I am the one that she confides in and I cant help trying to do everything I can to make things better.

I feel there will have to be a crisis before anything changes and I hate myself for sometimes almost wishing that - wishing that Dad were worse than he is so it would all be a bit easier for me - which is what it seems to come down to.

I went to my doctor this morning meaning to ask to be signed off work as I felt last week that I could not go on with trying to do my job and giving mum the time and help she needs. In the end I couldn't do that. So here I am ranting on TP instead.

Thanks for listening.....

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Rant away lesedland
sadly, I fear that unless your mum relents and accepts more 'visitors', you are waiting for the crisis to tip things over
so, much sympathy :(

at least you have the carer onside, and ready to step up - but she's right, no-one can force your mum at accept help - you seem to suggest your mum would be more accepting of some day care, maybe try for that as a way to give her some rest and show her that respite isn't so awful and she is still the one who provides your dad's care - the letting go of control is frightening and can feel a blow to her pride

your mum is taking some ideas on board eg the not questioning or contradicting him, so she is listening, and by implication knows that something has to change - but in her time - maybe when he asks about the house, just agree the owners know and are glad they are looking after the house, or any fibs that your dad will accept (I found it helpful with dad to have a few stock answers already thought out - though he still came up with some surprising questions, of course)

I'd gently suggest that you moving in is not an answer, just a holding exercise - and one that might be more fraught for you all if your mum is so against it (and your brother?) - keep up the search for a care home/day care etc in the background so you are ready for whatever may come

of course you want to do all you can to make things better - that's what makes you the lovely person you are - keep being your mum's confidante so she has trust in you, keep gently making suggestions (she is listening) and be ready to step in

best wishes

LOU_JONES

Nov 18, 2015
I noticed your dad takes Memantine....

My nan has been taking this for over a year and only 2 weeks ago my mum went to the doctor pleading for him to reassess and he said "Well is she taking the Memantine in the evenings....." Mum said no in the morning with other pills.....

Mum has started giving her Memantine in the evenings and she seems to have settled a bit more.....

just a thought....x

lesedland

Oct 14, 2013
Rant away lesedland
sadly, I fear that unless your mum relents and accepts more 'visitors', you are waiting for the crisis to tip things over
so, much sympathy :(

at least you have the carer onside, and ready to step up - but she's right, no-one can force your mum at accept help - you seem to suggest your mum would be more accepting of some day care, maybe try for that as a way to give her some rest and show her that respite isn't so awful and she is still the one who provides your dad's care - the letting go of control is frightening and can feel a blow to her pride

your mum is taking some ideas on board eg the not questioning or contradicting him, so she is listening, and by implication knows that something has to change - but in her time - maybe when he asks about the house, just agree the owners know and are glad they are looking after the house, or any fibs that your dad will accept (I found it helpful with dad to have a few stock answers already thought out - though he still came up with some surprising questions, of course)

I'd gently suggest that you moving in is not an answer, just a holding exercise - and one that might be more fraught for you all if your mum is so against it (and your brother?) - keep up the search for a care home/day care etc in the background so you are ready for whatever may come

of course you want to do all you can to make things better - that's what makes you the lovely person you are - keep being your mum's confidante so she has trust in you, keep gently making suggestions (she is listening) and be ready to step in

best wishes

"glad they are looking after the house" - Shedrech, sheer genius. That's one I had not thought of and I will pass it back to mum today. I will work on other stock answers. Thanks so much for your response. Take care x

lesedland

Oct 14, 2013
I noticed your dad takes Memantine....

My nan has been taking this for over a year and only 2 weeks ago my mum went to the doctor pleading for him to reassess and he said "Well is she taking the Memantine in the evenings....." Mum said no in the morning with other pills.....

Mum has started giving her Memantine in the evenings and she seems to have settled a bit more.....

just a thought....x

Sadly we are already giving the memantine and the risperidone in the evening - though to be fair, we are only 2 weeks into the risperidone. So sorry to her of your nan's distress, Lou. It's so awful to witness and not to be able to help.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
No solution but will offer lots of sympathy {{{hugs}}}. Evenings are hell :( Wish someone would come up with a cure for sundowning :(

lesedland

Oct 14, 2013
No solution but will offer lots of sympathy {{{hugs}}}. Evenings are hell :( Wish someone would come up with a cure for sundowning :(

Thanks Risa. I entirely agree. It is just horrible and means that even if the rest of the day is fairly ok you cannot relax because you know the evening is looming.......

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I think you need to figure out a way to convince your mum to accept some help. I got a "cleaner" into mum twice a week because she was a single parent and needed the wages. Not true but it gave me an in. If all else fails cry and tell her the worry about both of them is making you ill. Guilt might get her to accept something, for your sake. Its true anyway. Big hug. Xx quilty

lesedland

Oct 14, 2013
I think you need to figure out a way to convince your mum to accept some help. I got a "cleaner" into mum twice a week because she was a single parent and needed the wages. Not true but it gave me an in. If all else fails cry and tell her the worry about both of them is making you ill. Guilt might get her to accept something, for your sake. Its true anyway. Big hug. Xx quilty

Thanks Quilty x