Local authority funded care homes

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
I am so confused. I called one particular care home which I am keen for mum to move to, only issue is its in a neighbouring borough. When I spoke to them they confirmed that they have a vacancy coming up and also confirmed that they take local authority funded residents. I asked if they take from my borough and they said they have a couple of residents from there. All excited, I called the hospital and spoke to the discharge coordinator who said "no, they do not have an agreement with us"......I'm losing the will to live. I am trying my hardest to find somewhere that's culturally appropriate for mum and not getting anywhere :( I'm devastated right now and all I want to do is be able to protect my mum

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I am so confused. I called one particular care home which I am keen for mum to move to, only issue is its in a neighbouring borough. When I spoke to them they confirmed that they have a vacancy coming up and also confirmed that they take local authority funded residents. I asked if they take from my borough and they said they have a couple of residents from the Hounslow borough. All excited, I called the hospital and spoke to the discharge coordinator who said "no, Hounslow do not have an agreement with Nazareth House"......I'm losing the will to live. I am trying my hardest to find somewhere that's culturally appropriate for mum and not getting anywhere :( I'm devastated right now and all I want to do is be able to protect my mum
Kazza it doesn't matter if your LA do not have a contract with a particular CH within or outside of their own area. They still have to fund it. The only obstacle is if the CH will not deal with an outside LA which obviously doesn't apply in your case. The LA can set up, what's called in my area anyway, a "SPOT" contract.

The only problems are if the LA pay a lower rate in their area compared to what the home is used to getting. The CA2014 should have got rid of this discrepancy and individuals should be funded independently also they should consider upping the amount if the other LA pays more but it appears that this is not being adhered to. Also the current LA have to agree that the CH is suitable for your Mum's needs.

Annexe A "Choice of Accommodation" (page 395) in the CA2014 is worth reading in full but Sec. 6 is the most relevant.

:)

Quizbunny

Nov 20, 2011
When the time came for mum to go into a CH it was very sudden and we felt very rushed. We looked at a lot of homes and finally found one that we were happy with but it was in the neighbouring local authority. At no time was this raised as an issue by anyone concerned, even though the rate was slightly higher, and she moved in within days.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I know many people funded by the LA who are in other counties, and, as Pete says some are funded at higher levels than their own counties. I should use the ammunition Pete has given you and go back to the LA asap. Good luck, keep posting and keep fighting
xx

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
I spoke to a social worker at my local council. She told me mum can't go out of borough unless there's no other options. Where do I go from here. Visited the home, got a great vibe, it's a convent run home which is just what mum needs, her faith is important to her. Where to go from here is the question

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Kazza-72
not sure but think it's worth emphasising this as any placement should be in the best interests of your mum
it's a convent run home which is just what mum needs, her faith is important to her

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
Trying to emphasise this but feel I'm not being heard. The manager of the care home thinks it's cos the LA block buy beds within their borough and want to fill these before the look outside the borough

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Trying to emphasise this but feel I'm not being heard. The manager of the care home thinks it's cos the LA block buy beds within their borough and want to fill these before the look outside the borough
The manager of your chosen home is probably correct but the SW you spoke to is very, very wrong. I think it is time to speak to a supervisor and make a formal complaint.

I have to apologise for not posting a link on my earlier post....
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/care-act-2014-statutory-guidance-for-implementation

It is my bolding.....

Choice of accommodation

5. Where a local authority is responsible for meeting a person’s care and support needs and their needs have been assessed as requiring a particular type of accommodation in
order to ensure that they are met, the person must have the right to choose between different providers of that type of accommodation provided that:

• the accommodation is suitable in relation to the person’s assessed needs;
• to do so would not cost the local authority more than the amount specified in the adult’s personal budget for accommodation of that type;
• the accommodation is available; and
• the provider of the accommodation is willing to enter into a contract with the local authority to provide the care at the rate identified in the person’s personal budget on the local authority’s terms and conditions.

6. This choice must not be limited to those settings or individual providers with which the local authority already contracts with or operates, or those that are within that local authority’s geographical boundary. It must be a genuine choice across the appropriate provision.

7. If a person chooses to be placed in a setting that is outside the local authority’s area, the local authority must still arrange for their preferred care. In doing so, the local authority should have regard to the cost of care in that area when setting a person’s personal budget.

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
Thank you Pete. I truly appreciate this.

The social worker has agreed to allow the manager of my preferred care home to assess mum on Monday although he's now saying she's borderline needing nursing care....only known about this today but hey ho, will see on Monday

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Thank you Pete. I truly appreciate this.

The social worker has agreed to allow the manager of my preferred care home to assess mum on Monday although he's now saying she's borderline needing nursing care....only known about this today but hey ho, will see on Monday
Well that is "big" of the SW to allow something that he has not right to stop.:rolleyes:

However the Nursing Care side of things could be a potential problem if the Home you have chosen is Nursing Care only and your Mum is not assessed as needing it. Has she had any assessment?

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
The care home offers residential care and nursing care. However, the only beds available are residential and the SW now saying that she needs nursing care......I do wish they would make up their minds and stop moving the goal posts

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
sounds to me as tho they are moving the goal posts. I'd stick with your 'she needs to be there because her faith is so important to her and this is the only place that can meet the needs of her strong faith' and then I would hope that the home will suggest she starts in a residential bed and then transfers, if and when necessary. So glad they are assessing, that is a big step forward - emphasise to the assessor too how important her faith is and that is only place you feel she will settle. Go girl, you are doing great xx

Jesskle66

Jul 5, 2014
Kazza, has your mum been assessed using the NHS continuing Healthcare tool? If your mum needs nursing care then I think she should be assessed with that. If she is need of nursing that should be provided on top by the nhs.

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
The care home manager is lovely, I got a good vibe from him and when he was showing me round the residents all knew him and said hello, and the chapel is stunning. Fingers crossed guys :)

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
Christians can have a strong faith too!

Basically I agree with exactly what Fizzie has said.
I lived and worked in London for 20 years. During that time I worked with Jewish people,
Adventists, Catholics, Muslims etc. all of whom were happy to have their faith taken into account when weekend working was shared or that sort of thing. Into this I include my own straightforward Christianity. It really annoys me when Christianity, our national faith which some of us still take seriously, gets minimised in this way. If Mum was one of the above, everyone would be falling over backwards to accommodate! Get your local priest on speed dial is my suggestion.

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London

Basically I agree with exactly what Fizzie has said.
I lived and worked in London for 20 years. During that time I worked with Jewish people,
Adventists, Catholics, Muslims etc. all of whom were happy to have their faith taken into account when weekend working was shared or that sort of thing. Into this I include my own straightforward Christianity. It really annoys me when Christianity, our national faith which some of us still take seriously, gets minimised in this way. If Mum was one of the above, everyone would be falling over backwards to accommodate! Get your local priest on speed dial is my suggestion.

What you have said is spot on. It seems some sections of society can request their faith/culture be taking into account and rightly so....but Christians don't seem to receive the same understanding. When I mentioned mums faith to the hospital SW he literally laughed as if to say 'that old chestnut' .... His attitude has made me dislike him intensely to I hope mum is placed very soon cos I don't think I can deal with this man for much longer

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
When I mentioned mums faith to the hospital SW he literally laughed as if to say 'that old chestnut' .... His attitude has made me dislike him intensely to I hope mum is placed very soon cos I don't think I can deal with this man for much longer

I have no religious faith in fact I think it's a load of "rubbish", however, I do have respect for the fact that other people do.
I find what was said to you totally unacceptable, I would ask the LA for a change of social worker immediately and report him to his professional body.
K

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
I have no religious faith in fact I think it's a load of "rubbish", however, I do have respect for the fact that other people do.
I find what was said to you totally unacceptable, I would ask the LA for a change of social worker immediately and report him to his professional body.
K

I might just do that Kevin....he's patronising and won't accept any blame for feeding me wrong information. He told me on Friday that My mum would be assessed for the preferred care home but apparently no one came. Getting frustrated as I just need to know if the place I want her to go think they can meet her needs.

Kazza-72

Dec 15, 2015
Chiswick, London
I received great news from the chosen care home today. They are accepting mum and looking to get her moved on Thursday :) I am over he moon

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Oh Well Done ..........................

I received great news from the chosen care home today. They are accepting mum and looking to get her moved on Thursday :) I am over he moon

Kazza , have been reading some of your thread & sorry you have had a few upset's / problems :( with the S W , BUT am very pleased :) with the brilliant news for you & your Mum & I am not surprised you are *over the moon*

Best Wishes too you both for Thursday & hope the move goes as well as it can do

Love & Kind thoughts to you both

Love Grove X x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimonC