Hospital responsibility for personal aids like dentures hearing aids

Val Matthew

Apr 9, 2016
My husband has been in hospital for five weeks now, in that time in the first week his dentures disappeared. I am finding it impossible to get any assistance in this matter, I am told nutrition is very important for him and yet I am getting no help anywhere to resolve this, without teeth he cannot eat! I am being fobbed off all the time, our own dentist has'no budget' for domicillary visits. the hospital takes no sponsibility for their going missing and in almost five weeks seem unable to get anything done to replace them, I assume as they went missing whilst in their care, it is their responsibility, This is jut one issue I have, he also separately needs Chiropodists attention, his toenails are seriously overgrown and are begin to 'ingrown', there is a chiropodists on site and a dental hospital next door. I cannot get anyone outside the hospital to go in, am at my wits end on how to get the help he needs. Would love advice on how to proceed. Who is responsible for these matters with long term hospitalisation? Thank you
Valerie Matthews

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Hello Valerie,

I'm sorry you have this problem to deal with on top of everything else.
The same happened with my mum,s dentures,she was moved from one ward to another and had them in a denture pot clearly labelled.. I said also how is she supposed to eat if she has no teeth to chew! I was told by a lovely healthcare assistant who worked on the second ward to ask for a lost property form to fill in and send-conveniently on the day of her discharge,it came with her dirty laundry home.. I contacted PALS,who said sadly the loss of patients dentures was not uncommon,but they would look into it also... Have heard nothing for almost a year,sadly my mum passed away in January,but if I were you I'd keep on through PALS to get these replaced at their cost,it's a case of making lots of complaints to get you anywhere regarding the rights of a PWD.