How do I keep Dad warm and dry? Nocturnal incontince

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Evening All,

I haven't been here for a while. Sometimes I just don't have the energy to write.

Dad has become incontinent at night. At this time he is fine during the day. He is very mobile.

I generally restrict his fluids from 5pm. He won't wear pads. His bed has a very expensive waterproof and washable mattress cover and pillows. I put 4 Kyle sheets down. He has a warm and waterproof quilt that was also really expensive. He is soaking wet in the morning.

Any ideas? Any idea for absorbent quilt cover? I've been thinking of stitching Kyle sheets together to use as a quilt cover.

It's all rather challenging :confused::confused:

Thank you x

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi Adcat
I would chat to the the incontinence nurse and perhaps she can persuade him to use pads.
I've known male clients to sleep with a night bottle between their legs but this is only of use for back sleepers who don't move about much.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Hi Adcat
I would chat to the the incontinence nurse and perhaps she can persuade him to use pads.
I've known male clients to sleep with a night bottle between their legs but this is only of use for back sleepers who don't move about much.

Thanks so much for your response. Dad is in complete denial about this night time bed wetting and told the nurse that the beds wet and he doesn't know who wets it.

The nurse is arranging a height adjustable bed to save my back with a pressure mattress for dad and barrier cream. His skin is great at this time.

Still no idea how to keep him dry. Kylies are difficult to dry :(

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Adcat
I guess he wouldn't accept pull-ups either (as most of us don't wear underwear and pjs)?

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Hi Adcat
I guess he wouldn't accept pull-ups either (as most of us don't wear underwear and pjs)?
Nope, I've tried. He's now naked in bed. I have rolled a kylie sheet around 2 pillows cases. Otherwise they are sodden. The pillows themselves are waterproof. He is lying on 3 kylie sheets and I have another 3 on standby. He is covered up by a 13 tog waterproof duvet but the duvet cover will be cold and wet by the morning.

:rolleyes:

The nurse mentioned a Paul's catheter it dad wouldn't entertain it

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I've had some success putting pull ups on mum around midnight when I help her out of bed and on to the commode, she is usually half asleep and so not really aware what I'm up to. Hit or miss in the morning when she wakes and immediately removes them and cannot get to commode in time so I have now started going into her bedroom, just before she wakes and I can again help her on to the commode, and get her off the bed before the pull ups come off. bit of a hassle I know, but far easy on me than stripping bed and mopping floor in early hours of morning.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
I've had some success putting pull ups on mum around midnight when I help her out of bed and on to the commode, she is usually half asleep and so not really aware what I'm up to. Hit or miss in the morning when she wakes and immediately removes them and cannot get to commode in time so I have now started going into her bedroom, just before she wakes and I can again help her on to the commode, and get her off the bed before the pull ups come off. bit of a hassle I know, but far easy on me than stripping bed and mopping floor in early hours of morning.

Thanks Tin,

Something to consider. What do you cover your mum with? I was thinking that maybe a polycotton duvet cover would help.

I'm praying that the washing machine keeps going!

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
4 kylie sheets, 1 duvet cover and 1 fitted sheet all slacking wet now in washing machine.

There must be a huge gap in the market for absorbent duvet covers:confused:

If only I had 'time' and 'energy, to invest in a absorbent duvet business making idea :rolleyes:

Wishing all you carers a good day x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I use a waterproof mattress cover, two Kylie sheets and a water repellent pillow. I have to wash the cover, sheets and duvet every morning but he also wears Maxi strength pull-ups in the night to absorb a few litres of fluid - it would be a mess without. How about you take all his normal underwear away and tell him the doctor said it's vital for his health to wear these?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Thanks Tin,

Something to consider. What do you cover your mum with? I was thinking that maybe a polycotton duvet cover would help.

I'm praying that the washing machine keeps going!

Fortunately we have not had too many nights when the upper bedding has been wet [little girls peeing down, little boys pee up!!!!??] so we are still using normal feather duvet on top of a sheet and blanket, I did once try putting a waterproof/rubber sheet on top between sheet and blanket, tucked in at sides, that way blanket and duvet were protected.

I also looked at how much liquid mum was drinking, discovered that she seemed to drink more in the morning and then after 3pm not really interested. So I have used this to my advantage and give her as much as she can take in mornings and unless she asks for a drink, nothing after 3pm-just not interested in anything and I think I was forcing her to drink much more than she needed. 2 hour toilet visits right up to final bathroom visit at 10pm and then of course the midnight call.

My washing machine did give up, got very knowledgeable about how they work, all due to brushes wearing, not surprising as we were using the machine 3 times a day, brushes replaced once and then gave in and bought a new one.