House Insurance

Brussels56

Mar 28, 2016
Just wondered if anybody has any idea whether I need to declare Mums dementia when getting a quote for her house and contents insurance. She is still living independently at home and is getting by OK at the moment. I visit regularly to do her cleaning and check everything is OK but for example doesn't understand that radiators have to cool down when the heating goes off.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Some policies have a question about smokers living in the house, I've never seen one that asked about dementia, so maybe it is not relevant.

If she walked out of the house leaving it unlocked and there was a theft there would not be any cover, occidentally setting fire to the house could be a bigger problem.

You could ask a few providers for clarification.

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
If your mum is unable to deal with the policy cover herself and you are going to be her authorised person for the polucy I would suggest letting the insurance company know the situation. By advising them....if your mum for example called to say she wanted to cancel the policy or make a change that wasn't in her best interests then the company will be aware that she is vulnerable (if she is) or that she needs support or help with dealing. The insurance company I work for are very dementia friendly.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Brussels, welcome to TP
I never had an issue with my wife's AZ but I made sure I declared it to the insurance company and it was documented. She lived with me so it didn't affect the cost, however, most insurance companies have clauses like needing to "take reasonable steps to protect the property" and may kick in if she did leave the house unlocked and went out, I had this happen to a friend when one of his children did just that.
Personally I'd go and see and insurance broker, they still exist on most High Streets and see what they advise, that way if you did get a claim disallowed by the insurance company you might have some come back on the brokers.
K

Brussels56

Mar 28, 2016
If your mum is unable to deal with the policy cover herself and you are going to be her authorised person for the polucy I would suggest letting the insurance company know the situation. By advising them....if your mum for example called to say she wanted to cancel the policy or make a change that wasn't in her best interests then the company will be aware that she is vulnerable (if she is) or that she needs support or help with dealing. The insurance company I work for are very dementia friendly.

Thank you. Will get in touch and find out what their policy is although her policy has now renewed I'll also have a good look at the fine print.

Brussels56

Mar 28, 2016
Some policies have a question about smokers living in the house, I've never seen one that asked about dementia, so maybe it is not relevant.

If she walked out of the house leaving it unlocked and there was a theft there would not be any cover, occidentally setting fire to the house could be a bigger problem.

You could ask a few providers for clarification.

At the moment she is more likely to lock herself out and she doesn't do any cooking anymore so I don't think that will be a problem but she does insist on leaving the plug in the sink so could be a problem

Brussels56

Mar 28, 2016
Hi Brussels, welcome to TP
I never had an issue with my wife's AZ but I made sure I declared it to the insurance company and it was documented. She lived with me so it didn't affect the cost, however, most insurance companies have clauses like needing to "take reasonable steps to protect the property" and may kick in if she did leave the house unlocked and went out, I had this happen to a friend when one of his children did just that.
Personally I'd go and see and insurance broker, they still exist on most High Streets and see what they advise, that way if you did get a claim disallowed by the insurance company you might have some come back on the brokers.
K

Thanks what a good idea. I will try and find an Insurance Broker I didn't think they still existed

Pinkys

Nov 13, 2014
South of England
We had terrible problems with house insurance. MIL had not renewed it so we had to. During the 'gap' the roof leaked and a ceiling fell in. The whole thing got ridiculous and one quote was for £3000, not including storm damage and many other things. We eventually got a reasonable one, via the company we used for our own house.

In general just make sure about all exclusions.