Ashwagandha

hells-bells

Nov 16, 2015
Brighton
Hi

I've been looking into alternative treatments and came across an ayurvedic medicine - ashwagandha, which can apparently improve memory and cognitive function for AD sufferers - has anyone tried it, on its own or in combination with Donepezil?

I'm usually a sceptic when it comes to alternative herbal remedies but there seems to be a bit of research behind this one.

Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Id be very careful.
Quite often these "wonder cures" are advocated by people who are new posters, come on to say how marvelous it is and are never seen again. The cynic in me suspects that many of them are people advertising their own product as its a cheap way of gaining a captive audience.
You might end up paying a lot of money for something that doesnt work.

hells-bells

Nov 16, 2015
Brighton
Id be very careful.
Quite often these "wonder cures" are advocated by people who are new posters, come on to say how marvelous it is and are never seen again. The cynic in me suspects that many of them are people advertising their own product as its a cheap way of gaining a captive audience.
You might end up paying a lot of money for something that doesnt work.

Yes, I'm pretty wary of people who tout branded products (and I'm usually very much a sceptic when it comes to expensive herbal treatments) - but I've been looking more into ayurvedic remedies, and ashwagandha seems quite well documented.

Thanks nitram, I'll take a look through those threads

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Just checked back on these posters and quite obviously just spammers at work - I am surprised moderators let these slip through the net. I would avoid them like the plague.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
And one of them has their account on hold. I'd never heard of this before and I think that if it really was that miraculous we'd all have heard of it and be using it like crazy.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
A different reason to promote caution. DO NOT start taking herbal products along with prescribed (or otherwise) meds because there can be a toxic reaction. I'm sure that some herbals don't mix either. Perhaps ask your GP?

hells-bells

Nov 16, 2015
Brighton
A different reason to promote caution. DO NOT start taking herbal products along with prescribed (or otherwise) meds because there can be a toxic reaction. I'm sure that some herbals don't mix either. Perhaps ask your GP?

GP was going to be my second port of call, thought I'd see if it's been tried and tested first!

I haven't yet seen any claims to it being a 'miracle' treatment, but we're looking into improving my MIL's nutrition, and wondered if something like this could provide an added benefit.

Will see what the GP has to say, although they rarely recommend alternative therapies in my experience.

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
I hardly think those 3 posters had "an agenda" to sell you their ashwagandha, since only one of them mentioned a brand, and then only when asked. As it's a natural substance, it won't be patentable and so no-one is going to make a fortune out of it. I think they were trying to be helpful.

I have a small packet of powdered ashwagandha for adding to food, which cost me the princely sum of £3.64 in a local health food shop. :D

I got it after reading up on ayurveda, and it was the top-rated superfood of all the ayurvedic herbs/spices for many health reasons.

I haven't tried it on a dementia sufferer as my knowledge of it came too late to help my Mum. But I add it to my own food from time to time. I find it energising in a general way.

Here is some more info about it, plus more general advice about improving your brain health -

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a.../ashwaganda-effect-on-alzheimers-disease.aspx

I doubt if western doctors have heard of it and they are most likely going to play safe and tell you to take nothing but their own products. But some side-effects are mentioned here:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...-953-ashwagandha.aspx?activeingredientid=953&

The "side-effects" could in some patients be beneficial, like boosting your immune system and raising thyroid hormone levels.

The user reviews are worth a read, as they are very mixed (obviously not all talking about the same specific supplement).

It would be sensible to try out any ashwagandha supplements on a non dementia sufferer before giving it to them.