Terry Pratchet donates $1million for AZ research

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi, he was speaking on the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 today.

Caught the interview. He sounded so positive.

Agree Memmenskye, let hope it does just that.

kiytyn

Mar 7, 2008
ramsey, isle of man
i was so upset to hear about his diagnoses last year. the man's a genius, and i'm a big fan. judging by that interview he's going to approach his illness with the same worldly-wise wit that has made his books best sellers. all praise to pratchett.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Have just seen him on the news..the Telegraph ran an article today...in which he states that in most cases ..alongside the sufferer you will find a spouse suffering too..(sorry..don't know how to show you the link..:eek:)

A brave man..

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
A point to be raised

Not sure if it was something he (Terry Pratchet) said, or a point that was raised after his interview today.

'Alzheimer's' is not very fashionable, i.e. flavour of the month.
Why? people do not die of AD, more with the disease.

Not true. Is it not time we started to challenge this?

Couple of people who responded to the J.Vine program brought up the same reaction.

We have to challenge the public awareness, which should filter through to the powers that be, that like 'cancer, "ALZHEIMEIR'S kills".

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
On other thing that Terry Pratchet did say was:

"Any monies he has will only help cushion his disease and the inevitable outcome. Nothing will stop/cure him?"

Where ARE WE GOING WRONG?

Chris

May 20, 2003
Terry Pratchet's donation to research

Hi Connie and everyone

Terry Pratchet has donated half a million pounds (One million dollars) to the Alzheimer's Research Trust, based in Cambridge. This is a much respected research organisation in the UK that the Alzheimer's Society has and I think , is , partnering with on one or two projects.

Why then, in the various parts of the main Alzheimer's Society website reporting on Terry Pratchet today, has the name Alzheimer's Research Trust been omitted ? Maybe you could find out Connie please ?

At the moment readers may put 2 and 2 together at the way the reports on Terry Pratchets generous donation to "research" have been crafted on this website , and think that it is the Alzheimer's Society he has supported. Is this intentional ? if not, why not mention and give credit to the Alzheimer's Research Trust?

Not until all organisations work together - in a total and holistic way, will we get anywhere. Endless empire building and creation of a monopoly (as we have seen in other areas of life) will not serve us well, in my opinion.

nemesisis

May 25, 2006
huge thanks

its so great that a well known person such as he is, is willing to campaign on behalf of us all suffering with a person we love suffering with this. And the fact that he has admitted that he has also been diagnosed with Alzheimers (how many well known people have done that?) He is a very brave man and I am sure we all support and applaud him

Chris

May 20, 2003
its so great that a well known person such as he is, is willing to campaign .....

Yes, agree with you, wholeheartedly - he will have a huge audience listening intently.

Hope this will make a difference, I thought the following were going to make some difference but not sure they did - when Ronald Reagan made his announcement - about 12 years ago, when the book and film Iris came out, we had TV programmes by Tony Robinson and then Cliff Richard speaking about his mother's dementia and other high profile people speaking out - maybe they all added to general awareness but something more is needed.

What will make a difference ?, or do we have to wait for the drip by drip effect ? how long and what does it take for the big expansion of resources in research and easy, consistent access to standardised care services across the UK and beyond ?

The forthcoming Dementia Strategy by current Government may set the statutory ball rolling perhaps ? Dementia and other Care as well as NHS drugs are a postcode lottery at the moment. At least if you are well off you can move to where the best services are - as Iris Murdoch did in her last year or so, to one of the best care homes in the UK. Why cant they all be modelled on that one?

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
I too find it so frustrating that the general belief is that dementia does not kill people.

I don't blame these people because I didn't know that it did until it happened to our family but it does need to come out into the general domain - dementia does kill.

I've started telling people this when they make comment on it - my mum started her dementia at 56 - she has FTD which means her maximum life span is ten years - that will only make her 66. Right now she's in perfect physical health and the thing that will kill her is the dementia - as we understand it most likely she will not be able to swallow anymore and will die from complications from that.

Why isn't it more widely known - it is a very hush, hush sort or illness that no one wants to talk about.

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
What's the matter with people, arhhhhh.
My dad would have been dead a long time ago if there had not have been carer's and his nursing staff and all the lovely hard working caring staff to look after him.
Are people under the illusion that when you have dementia you aren't really having your mind wiped of all your memory of ,EVERYTHING.
Including. Which room is it you do your cooking?
What is it that you cook on?
How do you work your cooker?
How can a body function if you are unable to eat? luckily mom looked after him, before he had to go into a nursing home over a year ago. It gets me so mad, people don't want to know.
I'm sorry to hear about Terry Pratchet. I've read so many of his books, and the money he has donated will be of help for the AZ researching. Such a shame a brilliant writer, such wit. :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suzannep