But oh those lonely nights .........

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
My transatlantic international performance!

Well I played, and sang, for 67 minutes without a break, and I must admit, although I was a bit daunted to begin with, with so many people there, I gave it my all and it went really well. Fortunately my 50-odd songs were all familiar to the USA folk, and they joined in everything.

I varied the songs, all at least about 60 years old, and a lot were Al Jolson (Red Red Robin, Toot, Toot Tootsie, Nothing could be finer, Rockabye your baby etc), and to begin with I sang a little ditty that I'd made up about half an hour before: ;)

Hallo. my name is Scarlett, and I'm glad you all could come
For those who may not know it, I am Daniel's Mum
I'll play my ukulele, and sing some songs for you
And it would be quite wonderful, if you could sing them too

I hope that you enjoy yourselves and sings these songs out loud
Cos I've been told you really are a great melodic crowd,
Though I may be in London Town, 6 thousand miles away
Thanks, to new technology, I'm also in the USA

and singing ............... California, here I come etc. They gave me a huge round of applause for that!! ;)

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Well I played, and sang, for 67 minutes without a break, and I must admit, although I was a bit daunted to begin with, with so many people there, I gave it my all and it went really well. Fortunately my 50-odd songs were all familiar to the USA folk, and they joined in everything.

I varied the songs, all at least about 60 years old, and a lot were Al Jolson (Red Red Robin, Toot, Toot Tootsie, Nothing could be finer, Rockabye your baby etc), and to begin with I sang a little ditty that I'd made up about half an hour before: ;)

and singing ............... California, here I come etc. They gave me a huge round of applause for that!! ;)

Fair dues. Well done.

Am off to make a cheese sandwich!!

Aisling

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden

I would love to have heard it all Scarlett, well done, I'm sure they thoroughly enjoyed it.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Congratulations, Scarlett - star of stage and screen! :)

Take a bow, imagining yourself in a pretty cool evening frock, elbow length gloves, and diamonds, in the best traditions of Stars! Very well done. For far more than your trans-Atlantic concert.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oh my goodness! You are all so kind. :) :D I know you'll all think I'm daft, but whenever I entertain people, I just feel that John would be proud of me, and what I'm trying to do.

Anyone would think that the folk in California were getting a top-line A-list performer, Shirley Bassey at least, instead of someone warbling with their 6 or 8 ukulele chords (depending on how bad the arthritis is) and I felt really humbled when my son emailed me today, saying how much everyone enjoyed it.

I really think that what people enjoy most, is the chance for them to sing along, familiar songs from their youth, and of course, in the USA, the English accent helps!! My next solo gig is on 11th April, at the Day Centre John attended, and Choir Number 2 have asked me to sing the low "oo-oo-oo" - representing the wind howling (!) - in "Johny Remember Me", 4 days later, in our Rule Britannia concert. :D

As if that wasn't enough, I am to be part of a quartet singing "Hey Big Spender", :eek:, and I have to wear a gold bowler hat! (No other clothes have, as yet, been mentioned ;)) That takes me back about 30 ish years ago when I was captivated by the show "The Chorus Line", and the song "One, singular sensation ....".

But I yearned to be the girl singing the naughty song! ;) It, er, um, refers to part of the female anatomy. ;)

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Oh my goodness! You are all so kind. :) :D I know you'll all think I'm daft, but whenever I entertain people, I just feel that John would be proud of me, and what I'm trying to do.

Anyone would think that the folk in California were getting a top-line A-list performer, Shirley Bassey at least, instead of someone warbling with their 6 or 8 ukulele chords (depending on how bad the arthritis is) and I felt really humbled when my son emailed me today, saying how much everyone enjoyed it.

I really think that what people enjoy most, is the chance for them to sing along, familiar songs from their youth, and of course, in the USA, the English accent helps!! My next solo gig is on 11th April, at the Day Centre John attended, and Choir Number 2 have asked me to sing the low "oo-oo-oo" - representing the wind howling (!) - in "Johny Remember Me", 4 days later, in our Rule Britannia concert. :D

As if that wasn't enough, I am to be part of a quartet singing "Hey Big Spender", :eek:, and I have to wear a gold bowler hat! (No other clothes have, as yet, been mentioned ;)) That takes me back about 30 ish years ago when I was captivated by the show "The Chorus Line", and the song "One, singular sensation ....".

But I yearned to be the girl singing the naughty song! ;) It, er, um, refers to part of the female anatomy. ;)

Great Scarlett. Am not able to post flowers ( beyond my expertise) but well done. I love the sound of the ukulele.

Aisling xxxxxxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Great Scarlett. Am not able to post flowers ( beyond my expertise) but well done. I love the sound of the ukulele.

Aisling xxxxxxx

The sound of my ukulele is not really lovable, but I try. First I tune it, and I am lucky cos I can hear if any of the strings are even a wee bit flat. I then put my middle finger over the fourth string, and I can play a "C" chord. That sounds really good - it's the others that are a problem. :) I then strum away, just in that chord for a bit, and hopefully, the audience remember that good chord!

But most of the songs I sing, are in the key of C, and I usually only need a couple more chords for every song I sing - all carefully chosen to be in the right era, in the right key, in the right range for my voice and only needing a few chords. Simples. :D

And I think the audience that I have are just so pleased to be singing themselves, the songs that they know, that they are very forgiving of my wrong, or missing chords. :)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Scarlett, John would indeed be very proud of you. The pleasure you are giving so many
people is wonderful. It is so admirable that you have found this fulfilling way of carrying on with your life. What a fantastic way to be honouring John's memory. Just think what you have achieved in a little over a year.
I'm sure your lovely granddaughter is so very proud of you too. x

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Scarlett, John would indeed be very proud of you. The pleasure you are giving so many
people is wonderful. It is so admirable that you have found this fulfilling way of carrying on with your life. What a fantastic way to be honouring John's memory. Just think what you have achieved in a little over a year.
I'm sure your lovely granddaughter is so very proud of you too. x

Ah, thank you so much. I had a friend visit for lunch today, and it was her birthday yesterday. She'd told her husband that she didn't want any fuss - and so he didn't make any, not even a card. :(

As this has happened before, I made sure that I provided some "fuss", and did smoked salmon wraps and salad, and then a chocolate cake, decorated with strawberries and cream, and a bottle of non-alcoholic plonk, with a box of chocolates for her.

And then I strummed and sang "You must have been a beautiful baby", and she was so pleased, crying away, but happy tears. I then went the extra mile, and wrapped up the remainder of the cake for her to take home to her husband, as I knew if it stayed here, I'd eat the lot. :eek:

My friend also remarked how far I'd come in a little over a year, and said that goodness knows what I'd be doing in 2017, perhaps a Royal Command Performance! ;)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
You are doing do well Scarlett. From your posts I am guessing you live in Kent like me am I correct ?

No Sweetie - I am across the river, though I did spend the first few years of my married life living at Allington Park, Maidstone. I'm a proper ol' cockney, born in Mile End, then moved to Woodford, and then, after Maidstone, moved back to Essex.

Thank you for your kind post. :)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I think you should come to Launde Abbey in June and bring your ukulele and your lovely voice.
We'd love a singsong in the evenings too and, with Izzy as well, you might just make us into a TP rock group! :D

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I think you should come to Launde Abbey in June and bring your ukulele and your lovely voice.
We'd love a singsong in the evenings too and, with Izzy as well, you might just make us into a TP rock group! :D

If I didn't have Billy, I'd come in a shot. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95