Dols

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
That is for the person who comes to assess to make the decision. DOLs despite its name is really a safeguarding excercise to make sure the person in the nursing home is getting the right care and the right treatment as to how they are cared for.
My husband had one and I was present when they were carried out. They were very much on the side of my husband, checking his medication, questioning the staff as how they carried out certain acts of caring. They asked me how satisfied I was with the care even down to was I happy with his bed clothes. They discussed the food and how it was prepared for him.

They certainly aren't there to incarcerate anyone.

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
Thanks Jaymor. I guess then we will be notified when the assessment is being carried out so that either my dad or myself can be in attendance. As mums attorney do they speak with both of us or just one...

Going to try and read through the PDFs on the Alzheimer's society website to try and understand more

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Without a DoLS there's nothing to stop someone simply walking out of the home and getting a bus home or going to the pub, if they tried in anyway to stop them the home could be open to a charge of false imprisonment.
There has to be a legal framework by which anyone is "kept" somewhere where the right of the person concerned are clearly set out otherwise anyone could detain someone against their wishes.
I think it the name "Deprivation of Liberty" (everyone seem to forget the Safeguards bit at the end) that scares people if it very called something more friendly live a Personal Safety Order would people be less scared of it.
K

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Thanks Jaymor. I guess then we will be notified when the assessment is being carried out so that either my dad or myself can be in attendance. As mums attorney do they speak with both of us or just one...

Going to try and read through the PDFs on the Alzheimer's society website to try and understand more

There was only me there when they came to the nursing home but I am sure there would have been no objection to another member of the family being there. The more answers they get to their questions the surer they will be about their decisions. I felt that they were like another me, wanting what was best for my husband and wanting it done right.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I wasn't there for my mother's assessment, though IIRC I was asked. They didn't get around to it until she had been in the CH over 7 1/2 years, by which time there could have been no possible doubt - her AD was very advanced and she could no longer understand or respond to questions.
I was phoned about it by an independent social worker, who told me there would also be a psychiatrist present. I was just wondering whether this is the requirement. Presumably a social worker or SWs alone would not be qualified to make such a judgement?
The SW in question in fact phoned me many weeks later, to say the DOLs was in place and I had to tell her it was no longer necessary since my mother had died. The poor woman was so mortified.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I attended the DOLS meeting for my husband. Also present were the care home manager, a care home assistant, his key worker, the SW and CPN. It was all very amicable and obviously conducted in my husband`s best interests.

MimoMilo

Feb 6, 2016
My mum was in ch for around 5 weeks and the ch applied for DOLS. I didn't imagine at all that it would be a long process but was told it takes months for someone to actually do the assessment. DOLS, how I have taken it is for people who are at risk if they leave the ch and are therefore behind key padded doors ( manager basically described it as a gold cage ) some homes do not have keypads and residents can go out by themselves. This type of home is clearly not suitable for someone with dementia. Basically if DOLS has not been arranged then the resident can ask to go out and they do have the right to. DOLS is to protect the individual and assess that it's in their best interest to stay inside. You can have a temporary DOLS in place whilst waiting for the assessment. Mums assessment was really quick, I was not informed but they called me after to run through everything.

MimoMilo

Feb 6, 2016
Also, just to add, even though the person from the DOLS team visited mum without me knowing, she found mum to not have capacity and it was in her best interest to stay in 24 he care. This helped me and still does to cope with my guilt as its a professional that sees what we see daily. The lady also gave me lots of advice etc, look at care plan in home every now and then, ask home questions etc. they were helpful x

care2share

Jun 14, 2015
London
Also, just to add, even though the person from the DOLS team visited mum without me knowing, she found mum to not have capacity and it was in her best interest to stay in 24 he care. This helped me and still does to cope with my guilt as its a professional that sees what we see daily. The lady also gave me lots of advice etc, look at care plan in home every now and then, ask home questions etc. they were helpful x

I,m wondering if anyone reading this has experience of objecting to the DoL, say for example you wish to take your relative out of the care home and care for them yourself or employ home carers. What would be the way forward? Would it be to satisfy the Adult Social Care Services with your arrangements first and then would the "not free to leave" be removed? After all I've heard of people being arrested for taking their loved ones out of care homes. There was that very well known case of WM (don't like to name names) that came to the news in 2013.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
The process, and one's rights, is explained in the Dept. of Health pamphlet OPG609. I quote :- "One of these rights is that every person deprived of their liberty under the the terms of the MCA DOLS must have an RPR (relevant persons representative) like you to protect their interests throughout the process."
The S stands for safeguards which is really what it's all about.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I,m wondering if anyone reading this has experience of objecting to the DoL, say for example you wish to take your relative out of the care home and care for them yourself or employ home carers. What would be the way forward? Would it be to satisfy the Adult Social Care Services with your arrangements first and then would the "not free to leave" be removed? After all I've heard of people being arrested for taking their loved ones out of care homes. There was that very well known case of WM (don't like to name names) that came to the news in 2013.

I can't see why anyone would object if the person was going to be kept safe and well looked after - so the first move would be to get SS on side. My understanding is that DOLS can be removed at any time. I know the case you are referring to and I understood that there was a lot more to the story than the press chose to tell (isn't there always!). Others may have direct experience of your situation keep posting