Changing my mother's address

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
My mum has been happily settled in her care home for 2 weeks now and I need to inform authorities- bank/ council/ pension people etc about her change of address. Obviously I can put the care home address but I was wondering if that is really essential and advised, or if I could put her address as c/o me - since what will happen is, any pension statements etc will arrive at her care home and she will ignore them and they will simply be passed onto me. What do others do in such circumstances? I am fine with putting the care home address -since that's where she lives - but it seems an extra step since everything will end up coming to me anyway.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
My mum has been happily settled in her care home for 2 weeks now and I need to inform authorities- bank/ council/ pension people etc about her change of address. Obviously I can put the care home address but I was wondering if that is really essential and advised, or if I could put her address as c/o me - since what will happen is, any pension statements etc will arrive at her care home and she will ignore them and they will simply be passed onto me. What do others do in such circumstances? I am fine with putting the care home address -since that's where she lives - but it seems an extra step since everything will end up coming to me anyway.

i would put co of your address . do you have POA if so no problem with this

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I would have them sent c/o me and not think twice.
So much will go missing otherwise.

The only mail that was ever sent direct to my mother in her CH was birthday and Christmas cards, and holiday postcards.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Like others I have everything sent to me; nothing goes to my mother's care home. Not only do I not want things to go missing, but my mother was distressed by bank statements, bills, and other financial documents, and was giving money to scams-disguised-as-charities. I didn't want any of those places, or the junk mailers, to get her care home address. My aunt is in a care home and gets masses of junk mail and scams (I know, because I deal with it all) and spends way too much money on garbage from catalogs.

Don't make extra work for yourself and don't agonise over it; just have the mail sent to you.

Glad to hear your mum is still settling in well and hope you are doing better also.

Missy

Dec 18, 2006
I redirected all my Aunt's post to me - took the LPA down to the post office and filled out the form and paid the £60 for the year. As I handle all her finance and admin, this made the most sense.

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
All mums important mail comes to me, I did change of address at the P/O.

Obviously cards & things go to the CH, but the things that need to be kept safe come to me.

Lin x

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland

Put her address care of you Josephine. Then you will get all correspondence. No delays and less hassle.

Aislingxx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I agree with Missy, get the post redirected to you, there's a link below to where you can do it on line.
I'd tell them of the change of address on a case by case basis . I had no issue with the DWP, she was on their radar and I had a DWP deputyship. The bank gave me a form for her to sign which she could still do, I never mentioned her diminished capacity I just said she was now too disabled to get out and so had come to live with me.
I wouldn't say you can't trust the care home be if she's getting private and personal letter then there is an obvious opportunity for someone to abuse the situation if she left say a bank statement lying around.
You don't say if you have a POA or not, with on will be easier than without one.
K

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection?PSID=Google_PPC&cid=RD0416_GAR_SM_207

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
I informed the pension service, Inland Revenue, bank etc that my husband was in a care home, and they wanted to see copies of the POA and then they just send everything automatically to me.