New Member - Medication Question

hev1609

Mar 25, 2016
Hi

My mum is 80 years old and has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's even though we as a family suspected she had been suffering for around 5 years but refused to see a doctor. She was diagnosed on Tuesday and given Donepezil one a day, however since taking these she has got more confused and agitated. Her memory of the past was not really affected as she could recall her youth and early adulthood really well but since taking the tablets she, for example, says her parents are still alive and gets very upset when told they are not.
Could this be coincidence that she has deteriorated this quickly in a short space of time or could it be a reaction to the tablets? Should she stop taking the tablets?
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know but I would never stop tablets without having spoken to the consultant first. Some side effects settle down after a while, and she really hasn't taken it very long yet. I presume she's still on the 5mg dose? You might want to get her to the GP to check for a UTI as they can cause extreme confusion. Antibiotics will help for an infection.

Unrelated to the medication, but please don't correct someone with dementia as it will only cause distress. Of course in her memory of her childhood her parents are still alive. Here's a great link to compassionate communication:
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired

hev1609

Mar 25, 2016
Thank you for that reply. I've had a look at the link as well and it's really helpful thank you. It's so hard to know what to do and say for the best and I'm going to print that and give it to the family so hopefully we can try and follow the suggestions and make life more bearable for everyone.

We will go to the GP on Tuesday regarding the medication

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi

My mum is 80 years old and has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's even though we as a family suspected she had been suffering for around 5 years but refused to see a doctor. She was diagnosed on Tuesday and given Donepezil one a day, however since taking these she has got more confused and agitated. Her memory of the past was not really affected as she could recall her youth and early adulthood really well but since taking the tablets she, for example, says her parents are still alive and gets very upset when told they are not.
Could this be coincidence that she has deteriorated this quickly in a short space of time or could it be a reaction to the tablets? Should she stop taking the tablets?
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

Just agree with anything your mum says love. Contradicting her will only distress her. I would never stop taking medication without discussing it with doctor. She is only a few days on tablets. Meds take a while to start working.

Sending you loads of support.

Aisling

Harvey nix

Apr 11, 2015
Sounds so similar

My mum is 80 and similarly has just been diagnosed. She lost her husband - our great dad in September and is struggling. She also has been out on this medication. For first couple of weeks seemed more confused. We think she might be slightly better. She still lives at home on own now and seems to cope ok. But continually checks cooker is off. She also writes wee notes to remind herself of plan for next day.

One thing she's started recently is - every shop, cafe, or restaurant we take her to she says "I've been here recently - and that woman and man were there in same seat. Plus I remember that shop assistant ". Has anyone else experienced this

It is such a sad thing to see. A look of lost in her eyes

hev1609

Mar 25, 2016
Mum has stopped taking the medication as it was making her 100% more confused. My dad is 84 and is really struggling with her. She went out at 10.30 last night to look for her mum! I've told my dad to go with her and stop her going but he's finding it so hard.