Can she see and hear me still?

Hugh

Sep 23, 2005
Been visiting Mum for past 12 years in her nursing home. She is 97 and hardly responds anymore when I sit with her. Just wish I could know if she is aware of me in any way anymore. I read to her and play music but not sure if it helps or maybe even does not help her. She can no longer express herself it's a nightmare. Bless her love her to bits. How I detest Alzheimer's disease!!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
That is fantastic. Hearing is there until the very end, you can be sure she knows that you are there and that you love her and are looking after her until the very end. It will be helping her in the same way that you and I want someone who cares for us to be with us when life is hard and although she can't respond, she knows you are there. You are doing an amazing and very difficult job. Thinking of you, please keep posting xxxx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Been visiting Mum for past 12 years in her nursing home. She is 97 and hardly responds anymore when I sit with her. Just wish I could know if she is aware of me in any way anymore. I read to her and play music but not sure if it helps or maybe even does not help her. She can no longer express herself it's a nightmare. Bless her love her to bits. How I detest Alzheimer's disease!!

Dear Hugh,

I can't explain it but yes. Your Mum knows you are with her and she can hear you. Continue as you are doing and also just talk to her.

Loads of support,

Aisling

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
She'll always recognise you, all mothers can, get 10 babies and 10 mothers and if one of the babies start to cry you can bet the right mother will know if it's hers crying or not it's in the DNA or whatever a parent never forgets.
It sounds like your getting something out of the visits and we'll never know if she does or not but my guess is that a child's voice will always comfort a parent.
Our daughter has come up from London for the long weekend, she visited for an hour yesterday with absolutely no recognition and again visited today 30 minutes in to the visit my wife suddenly said "I can hear L***'s voice" turned to her and told her she hadn't seen her for ages and asked if she'd just arrived, my daughter cried.
Somewhere, it's always in there somewhere, it might be buried very deep but it's all still there is my opinion.
K

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Mum has no idea of my name, or who I am. I do know her emotions are triggered when she hears my voice.

You may not remember the exact words of a situation that happened years ago, but you always remember how you felt about that situation. Emotions are stronger than words.

Her emotions about you will never be forgotten xxxxx

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA

My mother died recently at age 97 1/2. When I sat with her during her last six weeks, she often just kept her eyes closed. I would sit and hold her hand, sometimes sing to her, and tell her a story or two about what a good mother she was. During her waking hours, we would show her live bird cams on a couple of laptops. She did seem to like these.

But mostly I sat there holding her hand. I don't really know if she knew I was there, but it helped me feel like I was helping her, and that helped me.

I'm sorry. This part's really hard. Being there for her is a challenge, but you'll remember, when it's all over, that you were indeed there for her, and that is what matters, in the end.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hearing is the last sense to go. Keep talking, play music she might like, it will all help.
Good luck!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Our daughter has come up from London for the long weekend, she visited for an hour yesterday with absolutely no recognition and again visited today 30 minutes in to the visit my wife suddenly said "I can hear L***'s voice" turned to her and told her she hadn't seen her for ages and asked if she'd just arrived, my daughter cried.

K

I`m not surprised your daughter cried Kevin. It brought a tear to my eyes too.

I`ve always felt we must never give up on people with dementia simply because we just do not know what might be going on inside.

Just because many cannot express themselves doesn`t mean they are not receiving.

Your daughter got her reward and so did you. :)

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Just because many cannot express themselves doesn`t mean they are not receiving.

I fully agree with this.
A lack of response doesn't necessarily mean that the person we speak to can't hear and understand what we are saying to them, or indeed about them.
Something that a great many people, professionals included, would do well to consider.

Hugh, you are doing the most loving thing you can, and I salute you for your years of caring for your Mum.

Hugh

Sep 23, 2005
Thank you fizzle

That is fantastic. Hearing is there until the very end, you can be sure she knows that you are there and that you love her and are looking after her until the very end. It will be helping her in the same way that you and I want someone who cares for us to be with us when life is hard and although she can't respond, she knows you are there. You are doing an amazing and very difficult job. Thinking of you, please keep posting xxxx
wonderful kind and supportive message which has helped me hugely Hugh

Hugh

Sep 23, 2005
Thank you so much

Dear Hugh,

I can't explain it but yes. Your Mum knows you are with her and she can hear you. Continue as you are doing and also just talk to her.

Loads of support,

Aisling
for your kind and supportive words which have been a gift to me. Hugh

Hugh

Sep 23, 2005
Thank you so much

She'll always recognise you, all mothers can, get 10 babies and 10 mothers and if one of the babies start to cry you can bet the right mother will know if it's hers crying or not it's in the DNA or whatever a parent never forgets.
It sounds like your getting something out of the visits and we'll never know if she does or not but my guess is that a child's voice will always comfort a parent.
Somewhere, it's always in there somewhere, it might be buried very deep but it's all still there is my opinion.
K
. For your kind and supportive words which are very helpful Hugh

Hugh

Sep 23, 2005
Thank you so much

Mum has no idea of my name, or who I am. I do know her emotions are triggered when she hears my voice.

You may not remember the exact words of a situation that happened years ago, but you always remember how you felt about that situation. Emotions are stronger than words.

Her emotions about you will never be forgotten xxxxx
for your supportive words which mean a lot to me. Hugh

Hugh

Sep 23, 2005
Bless you and thanks for

My mother died recently at age 97 1/2. When I sat with her during her last six weeks, she often just kept her eyes closed. I would sit and hold her hand, sometimes sing to her, and tell her a story or two about what a good mother she was. During her waking hours, we would show her live bird cams on a couple of laptops. She did seem to like these.

But mostly I sat there holding her hand. I don't really know if she knew I was there, but it helped me feel like I was helping her, and that helped me.

I'm sorry. This part's really hard. Being there for her is a challenge, but you'll remember, when it's all over, that you were indeed there for her, and that is what matters, in the end.
Your kind and supportive message which is very helpful for me . Hugh