Heading for meltdown

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Hi everyone
Hooray the house is finally sold in spain! BUT and this is what is sending me rapidly into melt down - just as I had arranged flights down to arrange for the furniture removal and pack everything up ( with OH in tow) he has two appointments for a heart monitor to be fitted just five days after our flight out. So Ok I change the flights, but now the travel insurance company won't cover him for anything he is already diagnosed with, ie Alzheimers, even though they have previously done so, because he has an as yet undiagnosed problem and is undergoing tests! I can't leave him behind as there is no one that can have him for more than a week and I need that time to organise things down there as I am doing it alone. Did some in January and OH was happy to sit in the sun while I got on with it. So I am just going to have to keep my fingers crossed that nothing relating to heart or alzheimers happens while we are away. Just another stress on top of all the rest. I shall be soooo pleased when it is all sorted over there and the final signature is done. I can feel myself slowly unraveling with each thing that is thrown at me. OH thankfully is not stressed, he just says 'do what you want to do' and asks me why I look worried. But obviously can't understand if I try to explain so it's better if I don't try. At my worst moment yesterday I tried to come on TP and it wouldn't let me in until today. Grrrrr. Just a bad day.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Sorry for all the stress you're experiencing Jean. That is so much for one person to handle without having to care for your husband as well. Insurance is a nightmare. Do hope you can find a satisfactory way round this.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Does OH have to go with you? Could he perhaps go into a "Respite Hotel" for the time you are away, or do you need him to sign documents etc? I would have been tempted to postpone the op for a couple of weeks ( unless they said it was vital that it was performed that day).
Good luck whichever way it all works out, you'll need a break after all this.:D

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
If he is joint owner then he will have to be there. I did what you are doing in 2010 and felt considerable relief in getting the property out of my hands. John's Spanish had dwindled to nothing so all the legal stuff was down to me. Once completed I just wanted to jump for joy!

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Hi everyone
Hooray the house is finally sold in spain! BUT and this is what is sending me rapidly into melt down - just as I had arranged flights down to arrange for the furniture removal and pack everything up ( with OH in tow) he has two appointments for a heart monitor to be fitted just five days after our flight out. So Ok I change the flights, but now the travel insurance company won't cover him for anything he is already diagnosed with, ie Alzheimers, even though they have previously done so, because he has an as yet undiagnosed problem and is undergoing tests! I can't leave him behind as there is no one that can have him for more than a week and I need that time to organise things down there as I am doing it alone. Did some in January and OH was happy to sit in the sun while I got on with it. So I am just going to have to keep my fingers crossed that nothing relating to heart or alzheimers happens while we are away. Just another stress on top of all the rest. I shall be soooo pleased when it is all sorted over there and the final signature is done. I can feel myself slowly unraveling with each thing that is thrown at me. OH thankfully is not stressed, he just says 'do what you want to do' and asks me why I look worried. But obviously can't understand if I try to explain so it's better if I don't try. At my worst moment yesterday I tried to come on TP and it wouldn't let me in until today. Grrrrr. Just a bad day.

Downed tools as they say today. The sun was shining, I was stressing over things that I can't change and will have to get on with so decided to take my OH on the bus to the sea side. We had a walk along the front, looked at the ships coming into harbour then had fish and chips in a restaurant and then he had an ice cream cone while walking back to the bus stop. It turned out to be nice and relaxing, ( especially as he fell asleep on the bus home,) and I was able to turn my brain away from all that has to be done once we get back to spain. Sometimes that's all you need, a complete shut off from your problems. There was also a lovely lady in the restaurant caring and feeding a lady in a wheel chair who had obviously had something like a stroke, but they were still laughing and joking together and it made me realise that I still have it easy compared to some and I need to be like that lady doing the caring and still have fun with my OH while it is still possible instead of worrying about the future all the time.
Anyway, thank you all for your messages back to me. They really do help.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I'm at the other end of the telescope.

I did sell my house in Spain and moved back to England to care for husband with Lewy Body dementia and my elderly mother. I know just what you mean about doing it all alone - the process of packing and all the heavy burden with a husband suffering from dementia

Now they have both died and am finally in the final process of selling my house and moving back to Spain.

If only we had been in touch with each other when we both wanted a country swap!!!
xxTinaT

Last edited:

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
I'm at the other end of the telescope.

I did sell my house in Spain and moved back to England to care for husband with Lewy Body dementia and my elderly mother. I know just what you mean about doing it all alone - the process of packing and all the heavy burden with a husband suffering from dementia

Now they have both died and am finally in the final process of selling my house and moving back to Spain.

If only we had been in touch with each other when we both wanted a country swap!!!
xxTinaT

Oh yes, wouldn't that have been so much easier! Good luck with your new life back in spain.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cat09