In need of a Greek speaking dementia professional

Stavvyc

Mar 19, 2016
My mum has been coping with auditory hullicinations for the past year..after various tests the psychiatrist is saying that is is probable vascular dementia. Anti-psychotic drugs were prescribed last year which left mum so sedated that she was experiencing incontinence and Parkinson type symptoms so we stopped the medication and for a while the hullicinations became less distressing. She said they never really went away..Since January the noises which can be chanting, machine sounds, birds singing, people singing have caused her much distress and the Psychiatrist has prescribed Mematine. A week in and there is no respite for her yet. I know it may take some time if this is the way forward but it's getting more and more distressing for her. Mum is 86 years old and I now feel she needs explaining about her condition by a Greek speaking doctor/psychiatrist/nurse. So does anyone know of any Greek speaking Health professionals working in or around the North West London area. I'm sure there must be around Enfield, Barnet, Harrow, Ealing areas..Thanks..

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
Sorry, I can't help you with the advice that you need, but I wanted to comment because my mum had auditory hallucinations. In her case it was 'choirs' singing hymns throughout the night. Because I have access to her notebooks I now know that when this started she shifted between knowing it was her brain causing her problems and hearing the voices as if they were real.

I can understand why you'd look for someone who could talk to your mum in her own language. It's frightening enough, without feeling that you can't explain what you're going through. For me, auditory hallucinations are as frightening as visual ones. Even if you're able to reason that it's not 'real', it doesn't stop you hearing things that aren't there.

Stavvyc

Mar 19, 2016
Thank you

Sorry, I can't help you with the advice that you need, but I wanted to comment because my mum had auditory hallucinations. In her case it was 'choirs' singing hymns throughout the night. Because I have access to her notebooks I now know that when this started she shifted between knowing it was her brain causing her problems and hearing the voices as if they were real.

I can understand why you'd look for someone who could talk to your mum in her own language. It's frightening enough, without feeling that you can't explain what you're going through. For me, auditory hallucinations are as frightening as visual ones. Even if you're able to reason that it's not 'real', it doesn't stop you hearing things that aren't there.

This is very helpful as my mums hallucinations are connected to the church as often she says the singing is chanting that is from the bible.

Stavvyc

Mar 19, 2016
Hi Stavvy, welcome to TP
I don't know but the places in the links below may be able to help you out. I hope you find something useful on them. Because of the UK's long standing relationship with Cyprus you may find something in the Cypriot community.
K
Thank you K..these sites look very helpful.

barny

Jan 20, 2006
Herts
Health trusts in London have access to interpreters , ask your GP or social worker to find you one. I needed to find someone who spoke patoise for a patient I was looking after the translation service in Herts came up trumps so I am sure there would be such a service in your area.

Stavvyc

Mar 19, 2016
Health trusts in London have access to interpreters , ask your GP or social worker to find you one. I needed to find someone who spoke patoise for a patient I was looking after the translation service in Herts came up trumps so I am sure there would be such a service in your area.
Thanks..I have asked several times and they have yet to find someone for us..the links above look promising though.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Stavvy, I have sent you a private message - not a direct contact but may lead to some help for your mother. Best wishes, Nita.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Could you get your mums hearing checked as my neighbour has dementia and hears music and chanting but she has gone deaf and it's tinnitus what are coursing the music and chanting . Big hugs xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Stavvyc

Mar 19, 2016
Could you get your mums hearing checked as my neighbour has dementia and hears music and chanting but she has gone deaf and it's tinnitus what are coursing the music and chanting . Big hugs xx

Hi,
Yes mum does suffer with tinnitus which led us to having her hearing tested about 18months ago..she has hearing loss in both ears and wears her aids more regularly now.
Makes no difference if they're in or out the hullicinations still occur. We explored that route..Thanks for your message though. Have had a couple of good days.:)

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi,
Yes mum does suffer with tinnitus which led us to having her hearing tested about 18months ago..she has hearing loss in both ears and wears her aids more regularly now.
Makes no difference if they're in or out the hullicinations still occur. We explored that route..Thanks for your message though. Have had a couple of good days.:)

So does my neighbours sadly . Glad you enjoyed some good days :) xx

Stavvyc

Mar 19, 2016
Memantine hydrochloride

Does anyone know if these tablets are successful in helping with auditory hullucinations? Or paranoid delusions? Would be interested to hear experiences as my mum has been prescribed them. Now on week 2 and taking 10mg she has said she feels dizzy & has a mild headache but no hullucinations or paranoia for 2 days. Just looks tired.

Stavvyc

Mar 19, 2016
Hallucinations or paranoid delusions

My mum has had a difficult night trying to make sense of the auditory hallucinations that have blighted for over a year now.. For my mum the neighbours have been causing the sounds, voices etc she hears almost everyday! Tonight she has heard the chanting, the machine noise and the family arguing about a child that has been taken away by the sister...all very confusing but so very very real for my mum. I sat and talked her through the episode asking questions about who 'they' are and who are 'they' talking to? And who is the child? Is it a boy? A girl? Mum answered that the child is a boy and 'she' the sister should ask for forgiveness and she shouldn't have gone with 'her' brother-in-law anyway! My mum talks about these delusions as if they are real which to her of course they are..
Distraction works but I'm thinking could any of these episodes have any significance to anything my mum may have experienced or heard about from the past? Or are they just delusions that have no significance? I only ask as families have a way of hiding family secrets that could effect you later on in life..or is this really a part of the dementia and mum being unable to differentiate from what is real and what she may have read about or seen on TV?? This is so distressing to watch..can't imagine what mum must be feeling like! So so frightening. Are there any similar experiences out there? #feelingsohelpless

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Stravvy
The truth is you'll probably never know, from what you've said your mum was born around 1930 in Greece or a Greek speaking country, 9 years before world war 2 started who knows in all that time what she's see and experienced, she may have told you a lot about her childhood and her life but you'll never know what she held back either there will be a lot of memories in there.
My wife went through a stage of constantly worrying about "The Children" and how terrible things were for them, I managed to establish they weren't our children she was talking about, possibly it was the refugee children on the news was all I could think.
My wife as taken to calling all women Suzi and all men Alistair, I've noticed another woman calls all men Michael and all women Margaret, it's really difficult to explain why two totally different people should do the same thing.
When my mother died a few years ago I found out she'd had a brother who died at a few days old, this was in the USA in the 1930's, there was a birth certificate and a death certificate, a baptism certificate and most sadly a ting pair of hand knitted baby shoes (sadly never worn as in the Ernest Hemmingway story).
I think the expression we use on here is "you have to join them in their world because they can't join in ours" about sums it up, listen and learn.
K