Conned!!!!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I thought of one of those dog barking bells but it did occur to me that 1) you don't want them to knock in the first place and 2) some dementia sufferers might find the sound of dogs barking confusing - I know my mother would have gone looking for those invisible barking dogs.

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
I was waiting for someone to bring out a VERY cheap CCTV system to operate over the internet and mobile phones.

The technology is available. It just requires the cost for 24/7 use to become more in line with what ordinary folk can afford.

But then I wonder whether I really wanted to know what mum was doing 24/7. Would it cause more stress?

Clive

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
When he was in his early stages my Dad agreed to having his drive block-paved - he didn't really need it and he was afraid to tell me about it or the cost. A few months before he went into his home he "agreed" to having his plastic roof bits replaced. The kind people who did it even took him to the building society to draw the cash out. I went ballistic - not with him - with the people who did it who I eventually managed to track down. I rang Trading Standards - but they would only treat it as a complaint if my Dad made it in person.

My Mum now has a sticker saying no callers - but she did open the door last week to someone offering cavity wall insulation. I think a "beware of the dog" sticker might be a good idea, unless it is too obvious and might just encourage the conmen.
C

117katie

As they say: WITH APOLOGIES TO TENDER FACE!

ADULTERATED QUOTE, with apologies to Tender Face!!! (Who me? Apologise? Well, ok, but only to Tender Face.)

Warning!

If you want to persuade me
To have my trees butchered ...
My garden transfixed ....
My electricity supplier stuffed ...
Get Sky un-installed ....
and my gas then cut off ....
Buy tickets for invisible raffle
OH, NEED I GO ON?

Then, please just remember,
I MAY WELL CONSULT
my resident Rottweiler ....

Karen, please Dear, come out.

Don't hide in the background,
I need you right here,
to shove off these people
who think they .....

Well done, Dear Tender Face, you've just eaten them alive.

KT with love and smiling still, thanks to you!!!
XX

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
I bought a sign for the front door. When the Grandchildren came round the question was why have you got that sign on the door when you don't have a dog ?

Fair question but I do have a soft dog, when you squeeze it's paws, sing Who let the dogs out.

Christine

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
There are con men everywhere ( & women) They just prey on the elderly & venerable. I wanted to get my Dad's gas fire serviced this week. We have a forum for our town so looked on there for someone that had been recommended. I rang him & explained I wanted the gas fire serviced & the fault with the ignition fixing. I told him Dad had 'memory problems'. Ah, he said I have been there with my wife's Dad I am used to that sort of thing don't worry I will make sure he is safe. He called when he said he would ( I was at work) After he left I got a call filling me in and explaining that he had had to order a part for the ignition and as soon as he got it he would call me to arrange another appointment to fit it. Okay he hasn't fitted it yet & we haven't had the bill yet but I don't think I need to worry. :) When he said 'I understand' he obviously really did. Nice man. It's how to stop these people getting in by knocking on the door. Dummy camera sounds brill jenniferpa ;)

117katie

Why didn't I think of that one???

Must be slipping,Karen!

Love
Katie

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi karen,dad once signed up to the national grid,and all its providers!luckily the neighbours across the road clocked it and intercepted,telling them that dad had a/z and would probably not remeber what he had signed up to.they were very nice and ripped up the forms.but many others fall foul of these "knock oners"?elainex