Contented Dementia

Olivia15

Feb 24, 2016
Hi,

Has anyone read Contented Dementia?

Considering buying it and wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts :)

dora

Aug 1, 2007
England
Get it from the library

Remember when you've seen one person with dementia, you've seen one person with dementia.

You may find some ideas that are helpful, or it just might not be relevant for you.

If you do find it really useful, then you can buy it.

Olivia15

Feb 24, 2016
Remember when you've seen one person with dementia, you've seen one person with dementia.

You may find some ideas that are helpful, or it just might not be relevant for you.

If you do find it really useful, then you can buy it.

Do you know if many libraries have it in stock? I thought maybe it was a bit niche!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I bought it and I can't remember a thing about it! My library has it, I just checked. It's worth asking, and if they don't have it, they might be able to get it to you from another library. I made the mistake of buying too many books about dementia instead of just borrowing them. The one book I can unequivocally recommend to buy and reread at leisure though is "And Still The Music Plays" by Graham Stokes. It impressed me no end, and I would hope every care home staff reads it too, as it proves how important it is to treat everyone as an individual and find ways to support them by researching their background. If you want to approach dementia in fiction, to me "Elizabeth is Missing" by Emma Healey is the best one out there. I read "Still Alice" but it was too American for me.

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And a third recommendation for "And Still the Music Plays" - the full title is "And Still the Music Plays: Stories of People with Dementia" by Graham Stokes. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. I came across it when I was training, and to tell you the truth, I think it should be on the reading list of every training course for elder care staff. About "Contented Dementia" - well, there are some good ideas in there. But as has been said, when you've seen one person with dementia, you've seen one person with dementia. There was no way of applying the guidelines there to my husband, not with his level of paranoia, and the absolute terror he was living in. Every dementia journey is individual, and you have to feel your way forward, inch by inch, like walking on a wall in the dark!

Last edited: