Hydration

Johnno67

Mar 16, 2016
Through my experiences recently, I have found out that terminally ill patient’s dehydration can actually be an aid to a comfortable peaceful death. Why are we not told this? Is the medical profession scared of this knowledge escaping, knowledge that could be of benefit to kin in their understanding of the process? I never knew about the possible detrimental side effects of hydration in a patient at near end of life. Natural instinct is “water equals life”. But water kills too! Re-hydration can result in many negative outcomes as you will know, cellular break-down, fluid build up in lungs...even bed sores due to skin hydration. It seems to be an emotive issue that needs to be talked about more widely.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Through my experiences recently, I have found out that terminally ill patient’s dehydration can actually be an aid to a comfortable peaceful death. Why are we not told this? Is the medical profession scared of this knowledge escaping, knowledge that could be of benefit to kin in their understanding of the process? I never knew about the possible detrimental side effects of hydration in a patient at near end of life. Natural instinct is “water equals life”. But water kills too! Re-hydration can result in many negative outcomes as you will know, cellular break-down, fluid build up in lungs...even bed sores due to skin hydration. It seems to be an emotive issue that needs to be talked about more widely.

I think people find this very hard.
My mother was put onto end of life 'care' in hospital, she had no fluids, no intravenous hydration and no food, I ensured her mouth and lips did not dry out. She asked for nothing and so I gave her nothing she died within 24 hours peacefully. Had she asked for a 'cup of tea' which I was fully expecting then I would have given it to her, thankfully she did not.
I believe the hospices do similar.

Johnno67

Mar 16, 2016
I think people find this very hard.
My mother was put onto end of life 'care' in hospital, she had no fluids, no intravenous hydration and no food, I ensured her mouth and lips did not dry out. She asked for nothing and so I gave her nothing she died within 24 hours peacefully. Had she asked for a 'cup of tea' which I was fully expecting then I would have given it to her, thankfully she did not.
I believe the hospices do similar.

It is a shame that we are never told the positive benefits of not Hydrating. They tell us about the benefits of not talking medical interventions but never about the positive benefits of not hydrating! It would help! I only found out why because I can Google and gain information. Why not make all intervention descissions clear?

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
end of life care

We are sat here watching my MIL in her own bed ,slip away. She is going to get what she wants to be at home with her family. Thanks for all your support from TP it has been a God send. Thanks