"Isn't it lovely?" My mum going into care

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
So my mum went into residential care today. I have been explaining I am away for a few days and those nice ladies at the place we visited a couple of times have offered to look after her - but it didn't really sink in. The plan was/is that if she settles she will stay and we just won't mention her old home (sheltered accommodation)
So I have had sleepless nights worrying (see other threads) I went in and added some personal touches to her room including family photos and picked her up this afternoon.
As we approached the place she got excited because she's been as a day centre visitor and really liked it so was happy go in again, even though we were going to the residential part this time. (She told me it is lovely in there -had I been in there at all? :) )
So we trouped up to her room, and she went in quite happily - astonished that there were some family photos there - but then proceeded to explain to the carers who they all were. Happily had a cup of tea and then we passed through the lounge. I had been concerned because there are a couple of residents who are really out of it, and one had her head lolling down to one side. I worried what my mum would think but instead.. her years of working in a hospital and later in social services herself came back to her - and she took it upon herself to talk to them - try to interpret their needs (while saying to me "oh isn't it a shame?" :) Appparently there is another resident there too who believes she is one of the care assistants for those with greater dementia than herself. It's wonderful!!
There was an "afternoon tea party" on and my mum was dead keen to go there. There was old music, tables with tablecloths and cakes on cake stands, serviettes, fancy plates and they had even designed and printed off menus for each table like Tea at the Ritz :) So they put my mum on a table with some other ladies, two of whom will be her neighbours and seem about the same level of dementia as her, so could interact to some extent. And she seemed to love it:) She even had three slices of cake which is probably more than she used to eat all day before we figured out her condition.
One of the women on her table looked very confused and asked me if I could tell her where she was, and she made to get up and wander around - my mum took charge "Come on - you sit down here again and have some of your tea" Goodness me:D
So I told her I was just nipping out and would see her later and she literally dismissed me with a wave of her hand ( in the "yes, whatever" manner my children would say)

And that was that!
Now - how she will cope tonight when she has to go to bed in this place, and tomorrow when she gets up -or if she wakes up and wanders in the night (there are night staff of course) I don't know. A part of me still has fingers crossed in case she suddenly has a change of heart and wants to go back to her sheltered accommodation. I can't for the life of me see how she could want to go back to a flat where she sits all on her own for hours at a time, as opposed to an environment where stuff is going on and she feels useful - but then I don't have dementia, so I can't say what she will think.
But it is a very positive start:)

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
It CAN work and the best homes are like small hotels with nurses. Fingers crossed that she likes the new arrangements. Plaster on a smile and sell it up when you see her next.

Love quilty

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
A very good start I would say :D

You are bound to have a few ups and downs to start with, but keep your nerve and Im sure she will settle.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi josephinewilson
truly a positive start
hold on to the memory of this for any blips that may come along
you've done well
now relax, have a cuppa, get a good night's sleep tonight knowing your lovely mum is safe and sound
and have a pleasant mother-daughter visit when you go next

cat64

Sep 1, 2014
So my mum went into residential care today. I have been explaining I am away for a few days and those nice ladies at the place we visited a couple of times have offered to look after her - but it didn't really sink in. The plan was/is that if she settles she will stay and we just won't mention her old home (sheltered accommodation)
So I have had sleepless nights worrying (see other threads) I went in and added some personal touches to her room including family photos and picked her up this afternoon.
As we approached the place she got excited because she's been as a day centre visitor and really liked it so was happy go in again, even though we were going to the residential part this time. (She told me it is lovely in there -had I been in there at all? :) )
So we trouped up to her room, and she went in quite happily - astonished that there were some family photos there - but then proceeded to explain to the carers who they all were. Happily had a cup of tea and then we passed through the lounge. I had been concerned because there are a couple of residents who are really out of it, and one had her head lolling down to one side. I worried what my mum would think but instead.. her years of working in a hospital and later in social services herself came back to her - and she took it upon herself to talk to them - try to interpret their needs (while saying to me "oh isn't it a shame?" :) Appparently there is another resident there too who believes she is one of the care assistants for those with greater dementia than herself. It's wonderful!!
There was an "afternoon tea party" on and my mum was dead keen to go there. There was old music, tables with tablecloths and cakes on cake stands, serviettes, fancy plates and they had even designed and printed off menus for each table like Tea at the Ritz :) So they put my mum on a table with some other ladies, two of whom will be her neighbours and seem about the same level of dementia as her, so could interact to some extent. And she seemed to love it:) She even had three slices of cake which is probably more than she used to eat all day before we figured out her condition.
One of the women on her table looked very confused and asked me if I could tell her where she was, and she made to get up and wander around - my mum took charge "Come on - you sit down here again and have some of your tea" Goodness me:D
So I told her I was just nipping out and would see her later and she literally dismissed me with a wave of her hand ( in the "yes, whatever" manner my children would say)

And that was that!
Now - how she will cope tonight when she has to go to bed in this place, and tomorrow when she gets up -or if she wakes up and wanders in the night (there are night staff of course) I don't know. A part of me still has fingers crossed in case she suddenly has a change of heart and wants to go back to her sheltered accommodation. I can't for the life of me see how she could want to go back to a flat where she sits all on her own for hours at a time, as opposed to an environment where stuff is going on and she feels useful - but then I don't have dementia, so I can't say what she will think.

I am exactly in the same boat...mum went into her care home on saturday except it was a huge battle getting her there and she thinks she is there just for a couple of days and I am still an emotional wreck even now 5 days on.:( ....and I am dreading going to visit her on saturday because I don't know what she will say.

But she seems to be settling.....She has let them take her mega make up off[three layers of foundation regularly!] , eaten more than she has had in weeks and is now tipping her money out all over the place just like she did at home so I think she is settling.
She has also slept well and is chatting a little to other residents.

So I will cross my fingers for both our mums and hopefully we will both sleep better soon.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland

And that was that!

Ah Josephine

Am so pleased for you.

Aisling xxxxxxxxxxxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am exactly in the same boat...mum went into her care home on saturday except it was a huge battle getting her there and she thinks she is there just for a couple of days and I am still an emotional wreck even now 5 days on.:( ....and I am dreading going to visit her on saturday because I don't know what she will say.

But she seems to be settling.....She has let them take her mega make up off[three layers of foundation regularly!] , eaten more than she has had in weeks and is now tipping her money out all over the place just like she did at home so I think she is settling.
She has also slept well and is chatting a little to other residents.

So I will cross my fingers for both our mums and hopefully we will both sleep better soon.

When you go to visit tell yourself she is settling, staple a bright smile to your face and go in with a bright "isnt this wonderful" attitude. Remember that PWD are very good at reading body language.
If she starts saying she wants to go home blame something/someone else - the doctor says you need to convalesce - its too dark/cold/wet to travel today -your heating has broken down and they cant fix it for a couple of days. Mum never remembered the excuses so I told her she was convalescing for a few days every time I saw her until she stopped.
Distract her with a walk in the garden, get her to show you her room or get her a cup of tea. Dont do long drawn out goodbyes and, if necessary, say you are going to the loo and make your escape.
Then go home and tell yourself that she is safe and is settling.

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
That's really good. My mum has been in care a year now. She is so much better and I am slowly getting my life back although I still worry about her. Sounds like the right thing to do. She will probably feel needed as she used to work in the care industry and I am sure that must be a good thing.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
So pleased for you and your mum Josephine, you've done a grand job
Pleased for you and your mum too Cat
Great news

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
Fantastic. My mum was a nurse and her nursing instincts kicked in with others who were more vulnerable. Theres another ex nurse on mums floor and she checks on everyone at night.
My mum settled quite quickly, she used to say "youve got to get me out of here" etc but despite that wasnt scared as she was when at home, and when another resident asked her where she lived a month or so into her stay she said "here". There are residents that 2 years on dont know why they are there. Likewise mum loved the food, the activities and company.

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
Thanks for all the encouraging comments. Tonight is her first night, and I bet I am thinking about her a lot more than she is thinking about me! We'll just have to see how she gets on. I just emailed daughter in London about the whole day and apparently her boyfriend's gran is an ex-nurse and when she first went into care she used to keep walking into other resident's bedrooms and start making up their beds (even with them in them) haha because that's what her brain was telling her:D

And a final comment (before I go to bed and try to catch up on many hours of lost sleep") what amazes me is she doesn't seem to realise she is in a care home! Where does she think she is? Only last week she told me there is no way she would go into a care home! (I guess she sees them as those Victorian prison like places where you are shut in a room with no stimulation, maybe?)

Last edited:

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
My mum has been in her care home for two weeks and absolutely loves it. She too doesn't realise it's a carehome, not sure where she thinks she is but she is happy so I'm not going to question it. It seems so weird as she hasn't asked to go home at all.

Monday she had her hair done, yesterday she went to a coffee morning at the local church, today they made Easter nests and when my sister visited this afternoon they had gone to pound land and the local cafe for a cup of tea ( she had to wait in the car outside till they got back) and she is off out somewhere tomorrow as well. At this rate we will have to schedule an appointment to see her.

I was really worried as mum had a dog but my sister took it in today for the first time and mum was pleased to see her but she happily waved her off when it was time for them to go and told her neighbour across the hall that the dog lives with my sister now.

I think we have it ingrained into us by society in general that we are being such horrible, cruel children "putting our parents in a home". I can remember hearing conversations when people would say " I'd never put my mum in a home".
But from what I have read on other posts it can actually be a very positive experience and enrich our parents lives.
The manager at the home told me that women tend to settle much quicker than men as we are generally more chatty and sociable. I hope your mum settles as well as mine has ( my mum was a geriatric nurse so I think she thinks she works there too) it sounds like she is going to be fine. After you have visited a couple of times you will start to relax and de stress.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I called the home a retirement hotel. I explined to mum she could live their if she wanted but that the doctor wanted her to go there until her health improved. She had been scared at home and in a hospital ward for months before that. Having her own room, freedom to go where she wanted, a garden and trips out was all she wanted. She was very happy.

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
Thanks again :) Chemmy- as for how I feel -on the one hand I am absolutely delighted that she likes the place I put her in and am very much looking forward to visiting her in there. I even offered myself as a volunteer "waitress" for the next Afternoon High Tea party they have :)
BUT... being a natural born pessimist (which unfortunately I inherited from my deceased dad; my mum has always been an optimist and still is) I am currently waiting for the phone call to say "please come and fetch her - she hates it - she is desperate to move back" etc etc.. I won't truly relax until she's been there at least a week and the signs are that she is happy to stay. I have to decide in a week's time if I give the one month's notice to her sheltered accommodation management and also cancel the care visitor contract. I think once that is done I will feel more settled.
In the meantime, I have so much work to catch up on for my own career:( I work from home online and it has really suffered this week, partly because of the to-ing and fro-ing but partly also because of the worrying..

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
It's a really good start, josephine, and bodes well for the future. Things could have been a lot different, so be thankful that things are going well, and try not to worry about tomorrow! (Ha! Wish I could take my own advice :D)

Sending good wishes to you both :)