Advice for the last days please

Timeout

Feb 10, 2012
Quilty, I'm only now catching up on TP, I'm so sorry to hear your mum is so poorly. I'll be thinking of you x

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Very agitated and restless tonight, calling for her dad. She says she is not in pain. Struggling to get get her to drink tonight. Just waiting.

jjude

Jan 4, 2011
England
So sorry to be reading all,of this. I sat every night with my dad for two weeks listening to his favourite music and gently talking to him telling him repeatedly we all loved him and what a wonderful job he had done as a husband and dad, grandad etc. I did this over and over again and I like to think I helped to prepare him for his ending which was very peaceful. Like you I just knew it was imminent. I hope you find peace and I wish you well xxx

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Very agitated and restless tonight, calling for her dad. She says she is not in pain. Struggling to get get her to drink tonight. Just waiting.

Thinking of you, Quilty, and of your mother. My mother asked about her sister (who died last year and I didn't have the heart to tell her) on the Thursday before she died on a Sunday. She said she needed the phone (which she wasn't able to use in years) because she had to call her sister.

At the very end, my mother couldn't swallow, so I used crushed ice chips on her tongue (she was holding her mouth open at all times, despite prompting to close it). She liked that. I put lip softening cream on her dried lips. It did give her comfort.

My heart goes out to you, Quilty. And to your mother.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Mum slipped away this morning in her sleep

I got the call to say my Mum had passed in her sleep. She went very peacefully and quietly and gave us no warning. I just cant believe yet that she is gone and I dont know what I am going to do with myself. Mum has consumed every spare moment and spare thought for 5 years.

To all my TP friends I big thanks. You have been true friends when friends who understood what I was going through could not be found.

So, my long walk as a carer is over. We walked to the light together my Mum and I and we have said goodbye. I now walk back alone but I can stop and look around me now. I do not regret making this journey.

As my darling Dad taught me - I did my best, and it was enough. She is now at peace, no longer weak, confused and afraid for the future.

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
My mum has vascular dementia and is now starting to shut down. She stopped eating and is pouching her food. She is sleeping all day in a chair in the lounge. Today i asked for her to be in bed if she needs to sleep. She has a profile bed with sides. I asked for liquid pain relief and review by the gp. What else do i need to think about? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry for your pain Quilty all you can do is what you have been doing all this time taking good care of her. Keep strong and God Bless you both xx

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Heartfelt condolences Quilty, you have put it beautifully, you walked all the way to the end with Mum, held her hand and gave love and comfort and no one can do or say more than that.

This is indeed a strange time, more unreal than real for a while I think. So pleased to hear that Mum slipped away so peacefully, at the end that is all we can wish for.

Take things slowly now, there is no right or wrong just be however you need to be.

Hugs Quilty xxx

Last edited:

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
I got the call to say my Mum had passed in her sleep. She went very peacefully and quietly and gave us no warning. I just cant believe yet that she is gone and I dont know what I am going to do with myself. Mum has consumed every spare moment and spare thought for 5 years.

To all my TP friends I big thanks. You have been true friends when friends who understood what I was going through could not be found.

So, my long walk as a carer is over. We walked to the light together my Mum and I and we have said goodbye. I now walk back alone but I can stop and look around me now. I do not regret making this journey.

As my darling Dad taught me - I did my best, and it was enough. She is now at peace, no longer weak, confused and afraid for the future.

so sorry to read this Quilty. You have been such a wonderful daughter and I am sure your mum was glad you were there helping her every step of the way.
bless you, sending hugs and thinking of you.
wishing you the strength to get you through the next steps. All your friends here at TP will be thinking of you.
Take care, look after yourself xxx

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE

Deepest Sympathy Quilty,
Payers go out to you and your Mum, God Bless.xx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
much sympathy Quilty
your mum's end was peace
be kind and gentle to yourself now as you were for her

Crunchy

Feb 21, 2016
Sorry to hear your sad news, but happy she passed away so peacefully, you did everything right, now begins the processing of it all, it's such a strange stage of life. Have another big hug xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You couldn't have done more, Quilty. Sorry for your loss of your mum, but glad for your mum's sake that she is now at peace, and that she had a quiet and peaceful passing. Time for a rest for you now.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
You did a wonderful thing, walking your Mum home and letting her go on ahead. This was as it should be, peaceful.
Now take your time to re-discover the world around you.
With sympathy for your loss.....Maureen.x.x.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suzanne F