What will a carer's assessment achieve?

InnerGeek

Feb 9, 2016
After another long battle going nowhere with Social Services I've again reminded them that my promised carer's assessment hasn't happened. They don't seem bothered about pursuing it as my dad's currently getting "all the care he was assessed as needing". My partner and I are running desperately low on energy and willpower. Is it worth battling on for a carer's assessment? Will it gain us anything or just sap our already-low reserves that would be better put to use supporting dad?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Firstly, a carers assessment is your right enshrined in law so they can't refuse you one and secondly it's for YOU. if there is anything YOU would like to get like respite or more sitting hours so you can pursue a hobby then keep pestering them. They should also signpost you to carers organisations that can give YOU emotional support or practical help with any forms that need filling in.

Last edited:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
After another long battle going nowhere with Social Services I've again reminded them that my promised carer's assessment hasn't happened. They don't seem bothered about pursuing it as my dad's currently getting "all the care he was assessed as needing". My partner and I are running desperately low on energy and willpower. Is it worth battling on for a carer's assessment? Will it gain us anything or just sap our already-low reserves that would be better put to use supporting dad?

I was going to say the same as Beate. You can also get a grant which can go towards helping with a hobby or I spent it a few massage therapy sessions which were great for stress reduction. Good luck with it Innergeek

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
E-mail them asking "again" for and assessment and copy your local MP in on the message. If you put the postcode in the box on the right in the link below it will tell you who the MP is and what their e-mail address.
Then go and put the kettle on for the social workers who will be arriving shortly:)
As said they have to do it by law and you may get nothing out of it, but you won't know until they do their job.
K

http://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-an-mp-or-lord/contact-your-mp/

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
An assessment can result in the carer being provided free support, a common support is to provide somebody to sit with the PWD (no personal care) to give the carer some 'me time'.

Have a read through
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/pages/breaks-for-carers-respite-care.aspx

The video gives a good overview.

Interesting! I rang Adult Services this week and was told mum wasn't eligible for any help as she didn't need personal care. Her drug taking has become haphazard and she no longer cooks (the two areas likely to have the biggest impact on her health) having someone, other than me, visit would be such a help as she won't go out, won't pop round to the neighbours (who are brilliant with her) and just sits indoors day after day. Any advice gratefully received x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Strange jknight, that's not what it says in section 2 of their manual where it says they have to do it in 2 days:

HAMPSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL ADULT SERVICES DEPARTMENT
PROCEDURE FOR THE ASSESSMENT AND PROVISION OF CARE FOR VULNERABLE ADULTS AND ADULTS WITH MULTIPLE NEEDS
2 PROCESS
People come to the attention of Adult Services through various routes
e.g. Hantsdirect/PAT, hospital teams, Mental Health, Substance Misuse or Learning Disability integrated teams, either by self referral or 3rd party referral.
The following guidance applies to all teams involved in carrying out Local Authority Social Services functions
2.1 Referral and assessment
2.1.1 The first Team Manager in Adult Services or Hantsdirect to receive a contact shall take responsibility for ensuring an initial assessment is undertaken to determine whether the person appears to be in need of Community Care services and whether the person has, on the information available, needs which may be eligible under Adult Services eligibility criteria.
2.1.2 The first Team Manager in Adult Services who receives a referral must take responsibility for acting on that referral and should ensure that a response to the referral, as defined in 2.1.3, is made within 2 working days.

You have to download the word document on the link below to read it all.
Once someone is reported they legally have to do an assessment you're 3rd party reporting is even mentioned.
I've said this before, but I'll say it again, don't use the phone write or email, paper trails frighten people in a way that a phone call doesn't and copy your MP in if you're getting fobbed off.
adult.services@hants.gov.uk
Is the email address you need (one of the advantages of putting an area under your name on your profile) makes it easier to get the specific information you need.
K

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/adultservi...logical-procedures/care-vulnerable-adults.htm

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Strange jknight, that's not what it says in section 2 of their manual where it says they have to do it in 2 days:

HAMPSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL ADULT SERVICES DEPARTMENT
PROCEDURE FOR THE ASSESSMENT AND PROVISION OF CARE FOR VULNERABLE ADULTS AND ADULTS WITH MULTIPLE NEEDS
2 PROCESS
People come to the attention of Adult Services through various routes
e.g. Hantsdirect/PAT, hospital teams, Mental Health, Substance Misuse or Learning Disability integrated teams, either by self referral or 3rd party referral.
The following guidance applies to all teams involved in carrying out Local Authority Social Services functions
2.1 Referral and assessment
2.1.1 The first Team Manager in Adult Services or Hantsdirect to receive a contact shall take responsibility for ensuring an initial assessment is undertaken to determine whether the person appears to be in need of Community Care services and whether the person has, on the information available, needs which may be eligible under Adult Services eligibility criteria.
2.1.2 The first Team Manager in Adult Services who receives a referral must take responsibility for acting on that referral and should ensure that a response to the referral, as defined in 2.1.3, is made within 2 working days.

You have to download the word document on the link below to read it all.
Once someone is reported they legally have to do an assessment you're 3rd party reporting is even mentioned.
I've said this before, but I'll say it again, don't use the phone write or email, paper trails frighten people in a way that a phone call doesn't and copy your MP in if you're getting fobbed off.
adult.services@hants.gov.uk
Is the email address you need (one of the advantages of putting an area under your name on your profile) makes it easier to get the specific information you need.
K

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/adultservi...logical-procedures/care-vulnerable-adults.htm

Thank you Kevin! Hope you are keeping well x

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
Back in January, I also requested a carers assessment. To date all I've received is a phone call so I could be prioritised. I got so desperate for a break from the constant shadowing by my husband that I found a day care centre myself one day a week for him. I had hoped that social services would help towards this cost as at £60 a day it is quite expensive. I've also sent an email off to them to ask how much longer I will be waiting.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Back in January, I also requested a carers assessment. To date all I've received is a phone call so I could be prioritised. I got so desperate for a break from the constant shadowing by my husband that I found a day care centre myself one day a week for him. I had hoped that social services would help towards this cost as at £60 a day it is quite expensive. I've also sent an email off to them to ask how much longer I will be waiting.

Having had a quick read around about assessment Essex don't seem to come out of it very well, see the link below.
"Significantly, of those who said that they had had a Carer’s Assessment, the majority of respondents reported that they did not think, or were not sure, that having a Carer’s Assessment had helped them in their role as a carer""
As I suggested earlier in this thread, email them again and copy your local MP in on the it too if they see his/her name in the CC box it might help them focus.
K

http://www.healthwatchessex.org.uk/...16/01/Carers-Assessments-in-Essex-FINALv2.pdf

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone

I just had my second carer assessment and been offered £400 to help with night sits . They also put me in touch with crossroads last year and I have a support worker taking oh out every Monday for 3 hours . I had a fire check organised by them too . This year they are also paying for hubs and I to have a weekend away :) Most of all they listen and understand our difficulties , that in itself made such a huge difference to me as I can be a bit guarded when it comes to officialdom. Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Seems to depend on the area
I am still waiting. I will cc in my local mp today. As its Zac Goldsmith up for mayor of London here's hoping

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
Having had a quick read around about assessment Essex don't seem to come out of it very well, see the link below.
"Significantly, of those who said that they had had a Carer’s Assessment, the majority of respondents reported that they did not think, or were not sure, that having a Carer’s Assessment had helped them in their role as a carer""
As I suggested earlier in this thread, email them again and copy your local MP in on the it too if they see his/her name in the CC box it might help them focus.
K

http://www.healthwatchessex.org.uk/...16/01/Carers-Assessments-in-Essex-FINALv2.pdf

Thanks Kevinl will do if I don't hear in response to my email.

InnerGeek

Feb 9, 2016
Thanks for all the info, I need to find out the email address of my social services as I've only been given a phone number so far. It's good to know that there's the possibility of something positive coming out of it, though from the look of the comments it's a bit of a postcode lottery.

I have to admit, I'd never thought to copy my MP in for something like this - I will start making better use of him, and hope he responds better than the one time I did write to him and he wrote back to tell me to read his website (which didn't even cover the matter I was emailing him about!)

PhilippaD

Mar 10, 2016
Be persistant

I was able to get a carer's assessment within two weeks of requesting one. I just kept phoning and said I was desperate because of lack of sleep and wouldn't be able to maintain the 24 hour care without help.

As soon as I had the assessment I was able to access a few hours 'Take a Break' care each week. There will be other ways to gain support too in the future. Don't give up, keep bugging Adult Services as I think they keep a record of each phone call.

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
Had a phone call from the on call social worker today in response to my email. She asked me if I was looking for daycare. I told her honestly that I had got desperate and sorted out a private place for my husband one day a week and am hoping they will be able to help towards the cost. She will refer to the team, but still unable to tell me when I will get a carers assessment.

Will chase again, along with my MP if no assessment arranged in another week.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Had a phone call from the on call social worker today in response to my email....but still unable to tell me when I will get a carers assessment... Will chase again.

So (in a nice way) they've fobbed you off for another week:eek:
In short a total bodyswerve:
"noun: bodyswerve
an abrupt swerving movement of the whole body, used as a tactic to avoid contact or collision." or indeed doing anything including what the law requires and your job.
The minute you knew who it was on the phone you should have started saying the name of the PWD loudly, followed by "don't do that, put that down" and got a bit panicky, then say to the SW on the phone "send me an e-mail, now isn't a very good time" then put the phone down.
They could list that call as "we contacted Tiger the next day but he/she wasn't specific, has organised day care, will refer to the team" makes it sound like they've done something when all they've done is shuffle you back to the bottom of the pile.
I don't mean to be shouty or anything but I've made a note to come back on the 21st to read the e-mail to your MP:)
K

Moorcroft

Nov 4, 2015
Interesting! I rang Adult Services this week and was told mum wasn't eligible for any help as she didn't need personal care. Her drug taking has become haphazard and she no longer cooks (the two areas likely to have the biggest impact on her health) having someone, other than me, visit would be such a help as she won't go out, won't pop round to the neighbours (who are brilliant with her) and just sits indoors day after day. Any advice gratefully received x

My mum was exactly the same, and I got an assessment. This was last year, six months before mum's Alz diagnosis. Mum is self funding, but the social worker's advice was helpful. She suggested a care worker in the evening to cook mum a meal and the pill reminder service (phone calls). The pill reminding service, which is free, has been very good. The care-worker in the evening didn't work out for a number of reasons, but we are trying alternatives.

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
My mum was exactly the same, and I got an assessment. This was last year, six months before mum's Alz diagnosis. Mum is self funding, but the social worker's advice was helpful. She suggested a care worker in the evening to cook mum a meal and the pill reminder service (phone calls). The pill reminding service, which is free, has been very good. The care-worker in the evening didn't work out for a number of reasons, but we are trying alternatives.

Thanks Moorcroft. I think I will ring again!!

Ihtl

Jan 19, 2016
I had my carer's assessment today and was pretty happy to get lots more information about respite care in my area and I left with clearer instructions/details about how to go about getting longer term respite and other support as well.