Products to prevent boredom in bed?

Olivia15

Feb 24, 2016
Just wondering if anyone knows of any products (or indeed any tips!) for helping cure boredom when stuck in bed? My mum is stuck in bed and I'd love to find things to entertain her but at a bit of a loss as to where to look!

DaveM

Feb 16, 2016
Houghton Lake, MI U.S.A.
My Mother has some visual impairment, so keeping her busy is tough. She used to read, knit, garden and was very involved with volunteering. Now, I play audiobooks for her on the tablet, and we listen to and discuss the news a bit. She has a hard time following news, books or much of anything. I play jazz and classical music quite a bit, and we put "Antiques Roadshow" on the TV every Monday night. We also put on musicals whenever they are on the classic movie channels. My Mother is not confined to bed, as I sit her in a chair every day, but she is unable to move without considerable assistance. For use in bed, I would look for a couple of tables or trays that you could use to play cards, or spread out photos on.

Even though she has visual issues, I just tried bringing home a game called "Qwirkle" recently. It has wooden tiles with colored shapes on them, and you play it by making rows of colors or shapes. There is no way she can play the game without a good bit of help, but she can see the shapes and colors enough to follow along. I don't use any of the complicated rules, and we don't keep score, but it keeps her busy. She does well at lining up the shapes and colors, but usually gets more than one copy of the same tile in the same row. Hopefully her carers can help her with it too.

I am watching this thread, as I need some things my Mother can do while confined to a chair. Hopefully a lot of the ideas will work for both of us.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hello olivia15. The quirkle game that DaveM mentioned is good for my mum too . Like Dave my mum and I don't go by the rules but she enjoys matching up the colours and shapes . You don't say how advanced her dementia is -would she be able to look at a tablet a play a game , with your help . Most of the popular ones on TV can be purchased online and played . My mum also plays dominos and uses colouring books . She likes connect 4 , bingo etc . I've downloaded all her favourite music and play it to her which she loves . Hope you find some things to relieve the boredom . Best wishes . Lou

Olivia15

Feb 24, 2016
Thank you for both of your suggestions they're very useful - definitely thinking of investing in some audio books!

My mum's fairly late stage so I wish I'd heard of Qwirkle before - I've bought her a 'calming cat activity muff' from Unforgettable so she has something with different textures (also I grew up having cats so hopefully that'll comfort her) so I'll see how that goes and let you know :)