Hallucinating

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Evening Everyone,
Mum as Vascular Dementia and is in the middle stages we think. She as been hallucinating talking to mirrors not been able to recognise herself in them. Through the night she talks to the bathroom mirror for ages. The last couple of weeks she as been upset and unsettled at bedtime saying someone is in her bed, I hear her talking and weeping. Last night was the worst she would not settle all night I put her in with me but she got up after five minutes and kept going down stairs where we finally settled down for the rest of the night on the sofas. Has anyone been through this and is it another stage in the horrible illness. Feeling tired to day and hope tonight will be better. She has just gone to bed I think it might be an early one for me too! Night All xx

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Hey there
Dad has unspecified dementia and he had these for ages for 2 reasons. Either a UTI or his meds. As soon as he took trazadone which was supposed to ease anxiety or some antibiotics also did it. It's draining we had people appearing in the house sitting in chairs or walking past with dogs and then the army
I am. I expert but for us it was meds or UTI
Hope u sleep tonight x

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Hey there
Dad has unspecified dementia and he had these for ages for 2 reasons. Either a UTI or his meds. As soon as he took trazadone which was supposed to ease anxiety or some antibiotics also did it. It's draining we had people appearing in the house sitting in chairs or walking past with dogs and then the army
I am. I expert but for us it was meds or UTI
Hope u sleep tonight x

Thank you zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Crunchy

Feb 21, 2016
My father started hallucinating 8 years ago, at first geometric shapes and red spots everywhere, then as time wore on he saw people, particularly children, and a menagerie of animals. In the last two years of his life, he was transported to alternate realities throughout every day, sometimes back in time, or on bus journeys in army covoys, you name it, he saw it. He was an artist and very creative, and it frustrated him no-one else could see these things and after he was put on so many drugs, he lost the ability to draw what he saw. I thought he had Lewy Body Dementia, but the psychiatric team never really diagnosed him (that's another story ....). It was the key feature of his dementia really, everything else, like the hoarding and falls, were more predictable.

Yes, UTIs and chest infections are more common causes of transient hallucinations. If your mum isn't alarmed by them, let her describe what she sees, and reassure her that they must seem real to her, her brain is being very clever, but no-one else can see them, this approach helped me deal with my dad.

rosieh

Feb 14, 2016
Mum also has Vascular Dementia & we ended up covering her mirrored wardrobe doors as a "horrible woman kept stealing her clothes" and her bathroom mirror as there was a horrible man in there. The horrible people weren't mentioned once we covered the mirrors. We used some sticky semi opaque stuff from B&Q.

Mum also sees people out on the drive at our house & insects in the floor. We either draw the curtains over or reassure her. It's not nice but she doesn't get too distressed about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point