What if no one accepts her

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
Mums behaviour is very challenging. Verbally aggressive. Spits in your face. Can slap if close enough. Etc. She can also be loving and kind at times.

What if no care home will take her on.

tonight she has been verbally aggressive and spitting at my dad. Maybe and i don't say this lightly. .....maybe sectioning her would help her better.

Would she eventually go to a home when stabilisedand who would cchoose.

Worried........#anothersleeplessnight.

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
I'm not an expert; have only been looking recently myself for care homes, but one I visited actually had a separate unit for residents with dementia who had behaviour issues, so there obviously are places that accept them. And by separate unit, I mean the first floor with its own bedrooms, lounge, dining room, activity room and so on - I don't mean some kind of barbed wire compound:)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Sectioning isn't necessarily as bad as it sounds based on my experience, others may differ. Once under section she had more and better care from the NHS than I could of hoped for. Chiropodists, occupational therapists, singing for the brain every Monday, antibiotics for an ear infection(twice), it's a convey belt of all the best care.
Now she's stabilising we had a meeting today about the future and they're offering EMI care paid for under section 117 so it's free (possibly with top ups if I choose).
She settled in very quickly as do most of the people I've seen admitted in the past 2 months, there are a couple who haven't really settled but most just go with the flow.
My wife no longer recognises me most of the time and the medications they've finally decided on seem to be working quite well so I think she's in a better place than being frankly the screaming, aggressive person she had been before she was sectioned.
I'm wasn't initially happy it came to sectioning, it seemed a very heavy handed way to do it, but in the long run I do believe it was for the best.
K

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm sure that your mother will find a place in a suitable - and nice - home TF. Please try not to worry too much.
Many people with dementia have behaviour issues over time and homes that are designated as suitable for people with dementia should be used to it and should have strategies in place to cope with such behaviour.
I hope it works out well for your mother. x

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband was in a nursing home that was for challenging behaviour. His problem was he did not want to live with the disease and was continually harming himself. He went into an assessment unit voluntarily so no sectioning and 9 weeks later went into a 26 bedded nursing home for dementia with challenging behaviour. He was on a floor with just 8 other men.

He was there for 3 and a half years and has recently moved into the nursing home next door as he is bed bound and no longer needs 1:1 care. The care was exceptional and I wished he could have stayed there. There were a few hiccups when he moved but everything is now sorted and his care is great. The two homes are owened by the same company.

In the last twelve months the challenging behaviour nursing home has taken over 15 rooms on the two floors of the nursing home my husband is now in, making the challenging behaviour a 56 bedded unit and rumours are that they may take more. This type of care is needed but at the moment difficult to find. When we needed it there were just two such homes in our county. There were a lot more on the CQC site but after visiting a couple found out it was only for challenging behaviour for adults with learning difficulties not dementia. We then telephoned each one and it was the same case with all but two.

It is great that we have 30 more beds for challenging behaviour in our area but equally as sad that we have lost 30 beds for those in the later stages needing care.