Clothes and labelling

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
Looking for practical advice which I expect has been given numerous times over the years.

My mum has a fairly sparse wardrobe as clothes are "no good" and replaced quite frequently. They are regularly replaced.

As new clothes are purchased over the coming weeks I have suggested that duplicate items are purchased at the same time and labelled with her name as this will need to be done prior to her moving to a permanent nursing home.

Labels....hand sewn on or ironed. Name printed in advance if possible or written on in ink....

any information and assistance as to where and how would be appreciated.

Thanks.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
These are easily obtainable from A***** online. I would order a variety of sew on, stick on and iron on. Stick ons are good for inside shoes and slippers or on spectacle cases or hair dryers or shavers etc. Sew ins for frequently washed items and iron ons for things like caps and gloves.

As soon as I buy John a new item I put his name on it which is good for day centre and when he was admitted to hospital all his pyjamas etc were already labelled. Definitely one you can have prepared for in advance.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I have always used hand sewn except on my husband's socks, on these I have used iron on though have not found them that satisfactory but sucks can be bought quite cheaply so no problems with them not being returned if the label has washed off.

It is the frequent washing in high temperatures that removes iron on labels. I order my labels from a local school uniform shop.

When I have removed clothes that I have replaced I have unpicked the woven ones and used them again. The labels easily outlive the garments they are sewn on.

Remember to label other belongings, glass cases, remote control, cushions and throws. Cushions and throws can go off t laundry and glass cases and remotes can be picked up and taken for a walk:):)

I have sewn labels onto clothes for four generations, our children, our grandchildren, our great grandchild and my husband. I hate to think how many I have sewn on over the years.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It might also be a good idea to find out what your mums care home advises as its often best to stick with what they are used to.
If they dont have a system then I would recommend these. On the advice of mums care home I use these to label her clothes and possessions. They come already printed, dont need sewing, have not come off in the 18months that she has been there and withstand the industrial washers (better than the clothes, in fact!)
https://www.nametag-it.co.uk/details/easyfix-clip-on-name-tags

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi, I used 4 ways of labelling.
Iron on for things like his cap, which he only wore to go into a home - he had two respites before going in permanently.
Sew on, not that easy either my arthritic fingers, but effective.
Taggits,, like canary. Good for socks, I found, but again, a bit fiddly
Nail varnish for things like radio and glasses.
It didn't stop various things being lost, though.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi, I used 4 ways of labelling.
Iron on for things like his cap, which he only wore to go into a home - he had two respites before going in permanently.
Sew on, not that easy either my arthritic fingers, but effective.
Taggits,, like canary. Good for socks, I found, but again, a bit fiddly
Nail varnish for things like radio and glasses.
It didn't stop various things being lost, though.

Oh so very true :(

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I used Cash's sew in tapes for Mum's clothes. They did not have sharp corners unlike a lot of the stick on ones, they did not peel off unlike the iron in ones and they did not fade unlike the write on ones. I used to fold them in half and sew them onto the top edge of socks like a sort of tab.....mind you they did make my fingers sore while sewing them in!!!!!:rolleyes:

The home did a scheme for a fee whereby they used a clip in plastic tag, but I was able to spend time sewing the others in. I used superglue and stickytape to stick them onto things like her glasses cases, her folding cane, her radio and cassette player.

I'm not saying they were the best....there are lots of sorts to choose from,but they lasted in some cases for the three years she was in the CH and through the laundry times too....

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
I used bright yellow tape, wrote on it in a sharpie pen and then sewed it on. My thinking was that it would help the laundry lady identify mum's clothes quickly and easily, which might mean that mistakes were not so likely. It seemed to work. We didn't lose much except for the things other residents 'borrowed'.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti