Care Home- fees increased, just when I was in control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
Very interesting articles... These big companies have a monopoly on their 'market', sadly their market is our loved ones. I don't know if a smaller provider would be any better, financially, or otherwise. Another point re. Fees increase, is that the home dad is in has dropped from '5's to '2' inspection-wise. Again, the reason I haven't moved dad is because he is physically very frail ( x2 episodes of pneumonia in last 2 months)... I know his prognosis is poor in the long term, and hoped to spend stress-free time with him daily, after my work. As I write this, I'm doubting my own decision not to move dad. I know there are good people in the home, I also know the recent inspection reports...and I have little faith in the big company providing the service.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Very interesting articles... These big companies have a monopoly on their 'market', sadly their market is our loved ones. I don't know if a smaller provider would be any better, financially, or otherwise. Another point re. Fees increase, is that the home dad is in has dropped from '5's to '2' inspection-wise. Again, the reason I haven't moved dad is because he is physically very frail ( x2 episodes of pneumonia in last 2 months)... I know his prognosis is poor in the long term, and hoped to spend stress-free time with him daily, after my work. As I write this, I'm doubting my own decision not to move dad. I know there are good people in the home, I also know the recent inspection reports...and I have little faith in the big company providing the service.

Hi Gwen I remember your earlier threads. i think we all do what we think is best at the time - we can't do more than that, I hope you manage to spend that time with your Dad
If you are going to request that they do not increase the fees by that percentage then I would add to this that the standard of care has fallen and until such time as the CQC say it has recovered the high standards you cannot see how the rise in fees can possibly be justified.

Moorcroft

Nov 4, 2015
Sorry if my questions seem naive, because I'm new to this. But, what about a deferred payment agreement with the local authority?

Also, what happens if you refuse to pay the extra out of your own pocket? What would the consequences be?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Sorry if my questions seem naive, because I'm new to this. But, what about a deferred payment agreement with the local authority?
Fair comment, there's nothing I know of to stop Gwendy asking the council if they'll enter into a deferred payment to cover the price hike or indeed the top up Gwendy's paying and the price hike.
There are some set up fees payable to the LA and the tenancy I think has to be a 6 month or assured short term let so you could release some capital that way.

Also, what happens if you refuse to pay the extra out of your own pocket? What would the consequences be?
The home could tell Gwendy to take her dad elsewhere. The LA have no interest in the situation as he has assets over £23k in the form of his house, refuse to pay some or all of a bill and a company doesn't have to do business with you. They won't literally kick him out although the NHS has threatened "bed blockers" with eviction but they could sue Dad for the money assuming Gwendy didn't sign the contract then they'd sue him/her for the money.

Ultimately this is to the care home industry called "doing business", you don't like the price...go somewhere else, CQC standards dropped...go somewhere else.
This is now a multi million pound industry, the big players have driven all the smaller players out of business (that and all the red tape) so it's a case of shut up or ship out as they say.
We might all change our; gas, electricity, home insurance, internet suppliers for a better deal but that's not like this situation, effectively they have you by the ....s.
K

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
Someone beat me to it. Yes ask for a breakdown of the increase in care costs and the la to defer the payment.

They should agree to this.

Missy

Dec 18, 2006
I had a letter today from my aunt's care home - Fees going up by £75 a week (this is around an 8% increase). They quote the living wage as a reason - but I feel sure that this home will already be paying the living wage to its staff! Auto enrolment is another reason quoted.

It is a LOVELY home, and my Aunt is happy there and has the funds, so we will suck it up. But it must be so worrying for families not able to do this.

She was in a dreadful home belonging to a group featured recently in the newspapers as selling off many homes ..

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
The advice on this site is amazing!!! Thank u all again. I'm looking into all options, there will be a way forward, I'm sure. Visited dad tonight at dinner time, as usual. So very sad to see him choking and coughing through every mouthful of food- puréed. He's such a gentleman, even with his advanced Alzheimer's, he apologises when he coughs- heartbreaking. He fell today too.. I fear another crisis health wise is coming. That's why all this other stuff with care fees is so intolerable... My energy should be focused totally on my dad- not lawyers/ social workers/ care home profits. This may be precious time with my dad that I won't have a chance to spend again... Yet, as we all know, with Alzheimer's there is no way of knowing, so I have to look forward. So hard.. My dad was always the best dad, always there for me... And I was a shift at times!

curtainsgalore

Nov 2, 2014
An extra £380 a month so you're currently paying £3,800 and it's going up to £4,180 a month:eek: I wonder how much extra the LA will be paying where it picks up the tab, nothing or less than nothing.
Whilst we all applaud things like; the national minimum wage, the living wage, maternity pay, paternity pay, workplace pensions and all the rest so much of a care homes costs are the staff that I'm not surprised they have to put the charges up.
You do mention "brothers" if they want to hold onto the house too then could they make a contribution?
The government seems to see employers as able to carry any costs they want to burden them with without realising that at the end of the day we all have to pay them by paying increased prices somewhere along the line.
If self funders get a 10% increase then so should the LA, as the politicians are always telling us "we're all in this together" except I doubt (irrespective of which political party runs the LA) that they won't be.
K

I have just written to my Mums care home who have put her fees up 9.5% to cover the living wage.
I have asked them if the local authority are also paying an increase of 9.5% for the residence that are not self funding. They are getting back tome after 11th March.
I've asked them what the local authority are paying now and what percentage it's going up from April or are self funders subsidising places paid by local authorities.
Also we pay £200 per week more for a place even before the fee hike! So self funders are subsidising LA places.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Moorcroft

Nov 4, 2015
Fair comment, there's nothing I know of to stop Gwendy asking the council if they'll enter into a deferred payment to cover the price hike or indeed the top up Gwendy's paying and the price hike.
There are some set up fees payable to the LA and the tenancy I think has to be a 6 month or assured short term let so you could release some capital that way.

The home could tell Gwendy to take her dad elsewhere. The LA have no interest in the situation as he has assets over £23k in the form of his house, refuse to pay some or all of a bill and a company doesn't have to do business with you. They won't literally kick him out although the NHS has threatened "bed blockers" with eviction but they could sue Dad for the money assuming Gwendy didn't sign the contract then they'd sue him/her for the money.

Ultimately this is to the care home industry called "doing business", you don't like the price...go somewhere else, CQC standards dropped...go somewhere else.
This is now a multi million pound industry, the big players have driven all the smaller players out of business (that and all the red tape) so it's a case of shut up or ship out as they say.
We might all change our; gas, electricity, home insurance, internet suppliers for a better deal but that's not like this situation, effectively they have you by the ....s.
K

Thanks. I'm learning a lot from this forum.

curtainsgalore

Nov 2, 2014
I've found out that while my Mums fees are going up 9.5 % the local authority will only be paying a 3.5% increase. It's all very wrong? Is anyone else in this position.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I've found out that while my Mums fees are going up 9.5 % the local authority will only be paying a 3.5% increase. It's all very wrong? Is anyone else in this position.

I think many people will be in the same position and a lot won't even be aware of what's happening.
Let's say (made up number as an example only) that the LA pays £500 and a self funder pays £650, the LA rate goes up by 3.5% so £500 + 3.5% = £517.50.
The self funder pays £650 + 9.5% = £711.75, so the self funder pays an increase of £44.25 more than the LA per week.
There must come a point where the homes simply refuse to take LA funded patients.
Perhaps the extra 2% on all our council tax bills this year which is ring fenced to pay for care mean the LA's will up their rates and stop this invisible subsidy.
K

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
How absolutely horrible for you.
Can you speak to the care home - they do sometimes have some flexibility - and as they are saying you are basically funding the council funded places - I think that is an almighty liberty - outrageous but that's another story! Tell them that you are personally funding the shortfall and not your dad and see if they can be flexible.

Have you looked to see if your dad might be elibible for Continuing Healthcare funding? Some care homes are very good at looking into this but others you just have to get on with it - it is worth requesting an assessment. Have a look at the threads on here.

10% is a massive rise

i dought this because my MIL was bedridden for 12 weeks and up util 2 days before she died ahe was still not eligiable accordign to the nurses ad they see this all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger