What would you do? Sundowning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
This is really strange, but mum seems to get much worse after 5pm. She will start to look for her coat and say she needs to 'go home', or she'll head out and when I catch up with her, she says she 'can't find home'. Sometimes she starts describing a house she lived in years ago, and sometimes it makes no sense.

It's so horrible to see her so upset, usually I can calm her down but not always. It just seems to happen in late afternoon - is that normal? What do I do?

Do you have any tips to support a person with dementia who becomes anxious and wants to 'go home', often in the late afternoon? (This is known as sundowning.)

We're planning to include more real life experiences of dementia in our Living with Dementia magazine and we'd love to hear from you.

Please do add your comments below, and we may feature it in the next issue of the magazine.

Serena

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
Mums says she is going to walk home . I let her walk to corner of next rd where she stops and says is it ok if i go tomorrow, my knees are sore .
It usually works

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Thanks Ellaroo, that's really helpful.

Does anyone else have a suggestion to share? Just click on the 'post a comment' button below.

Our magazine team are keen to hear from people with real life experience of dementia, and will use suggestions to create a helpful article like this one.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I've read - an no doubt will continue to read - so many articles on compassionate communication and lwls, but have to say that esepcially where sundowning is concerned, my Mum in law is so resistent to both. She is focused on (usually) 'going home' to the extent that unless what you say is what she wants to hear (i.e. that you will take her 'home' right NOW, which is impossible) then nothing you can say or do will help. Time and again, the only thing I've found that sometimes breaks the cycle is to remove the audience and the immediate environment, usually by asking (or even telling) her to go to her room. Some time away from any sort or response, from having anyone to aim her frustrations and demands at, seems to be the most effective way to help her calm down.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
When this problem was at its worst last year I would go out with my husband walking around the streets until he tired or got cold. Talking constantly about other topics while walking helped to distract from the "purpose" of our walking. In truth the only thing that really helped was the anti depressant medication which was prescribed. He wasn't depressed but this reduced the agitation which made him want to constantly be on the go.

It was a horrible exhausting time.

technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
My wife tends to change more after 5pm and talks about going home and about having to do things with other people that gets her very upset.
once I talk to her reassuringly telling her that she doesn't have to go home cos she is already home where she lives with me, and also that she doesn't have to do anything with other people ( as she'd not talked to anyone else for some time) she calms down and becomes happier again, then turns her attention to something else, all worries forgotten about almost instantly'
I have grown more used to her 'sundowning' and handle it in the gentless n most reassuring way possible.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
I think the reason for so few responses on this topic is that there is no solution. I didnt find one anyway. My husband was so frantic in "wanting to go home" that it turned to aggression, with him threatening to smash the door down, or kill me if I wouldnt take him immediately. All the usual things of "its too dark or cold now, we'll go tomorrow" etc didnt work. In the end, it was all day, not just at night. Sometimes I would ask where home was, and I would take him, but then he would say "I'm not telling you" and walk out. I sometimes got him to bed, (although he was still fully clothed) saying we would go tomorrow and 5 mins later he would get up and it would start again. I used to have to take him to his bedroom then run to mine, and lock myself in, and just hope he settled. On these occasions he did not know I was his wife, and he would also demand that I ring his wife or mother or father to let them know where he was. Once he climbed out of a downstairs window and a neighbour on shift work found him at 2am wandering about. I had a phone in my bedroom, and she rang me to get me up to let him in the door.

I so wish there was a solution. I might have managed for longer at home. He is now in a lovely care home, taking memantine and risperidone, although he doesnt like the other residents as he says "they're not right" and he won't mix with them and I usualy find him sitting on his own somewhere or wandering the corridors. The carers are great, and he loves chatting to them, and they say he is quite settled, apart from aggression with personal care, and occasional aggressive outbursts against others, which they manage well, but when I see him it usually triggers the "going home" syndrome.

technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
A way I have found to stop her wanting to 'go home' is to distract her from such thoughts with something else, magazines, pets, clothes etc. Something that will hold her attention for a while and all former thoughts are then gone!

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

tigerlady, I think you raise a really helpful point. As many members on TP (Talking Point) know, everyone with dementia is different and what may be helpful for one person, may not be helpful for someone else.

That's why shared experience is so important. :)

lesley1958

Mar 24, 2015
Bristol
Tigerlady, I'm afraid my experience with my dad has been very similar. If only we could find something that would help him, give him comfort - but once the sundowning, especially the "going home" starts, nothing stops it. As with Ann's Mil, there is no distracting him. I've just spoken to my 84 year old mum who is his main carer. She was up till 1.30am with him last night and he threatened to hit her in his frustration. He is taking 10g memantine but it does not seem to be doing very much. I am so frightened for her.

It is a horrible part of this horrible disease. At least this forum has reassured me that mum and I are not coping alone.

chrissie121

Nov 27, 2013
Sundowning

This is really strange, but mum seems to get much worse after 5pm. She will start to look for her coat and say she needs to 'go home', or she'll head out and when I catch up with her, she says she 'can't find home'. Sometimes she starts describing a house she lived in years ago, and sometimes it makes no sense.

It's so horrible to see her so upset, usually I can calm her down but not always. It just seems to happen in late afternoon - is that normal? What do I do?

Do you have any tips to support a person with dementia who becomes anxious and wants to 'go home', often in the late afternoon? (This is known as sundowning.)

We're planning to include more real life experiences of dementia in our Living with Dementia magazine and we'd love to hear from you.

Please do add your comments below, and we may feature it in the next issue of the magazine.

Serena
Sundowning is really to be frank the most awful part of the dementia illness that sufferers experience. My Mum has it particularly bad, even more so as she is scared of the dark. To give you an idea, my Mum when she first went into care was visited in the morning by the DOL team, who assessed her as being able to make a judgement/decision. I asked them to visit Mum again, after 4pm. When they did, their decision was reversed! The best way to handle the request to get my coat, I want to go home. Or I have finished work now and need to get back home. Is to change the subject, just try changing the subject or use delaying tactics. Such as, ok Mum we will go home but we need to wait for John, Peter, any family member or friend. if she says why, say they said they would come over and pick her up, or they are coming for tea or something. It really doesn't matter too much, be fairly vague, she will forget but it will change the subject and hopefully move her onto something else.

I won't hold back though, it is hard, very hard indeed as you are trying to reason with her about not going home, because she is already home and she will swear blind she is not home. she will often not recognise her surroundings. I often have Mum on the phone saying she wants to go home and I gently tell her she is and she shouts she is not. So we play the game, I call it the recognition exercise.

Ok Mum where are you calling me from? describe your surroundings, as she does I say you remember your green chairs, the ones you got from the store? Do you see pictures on the wall, are they x y and z? is there a television in the corner, what does it look like, then after awhile Mum recognises her surroundings and it dawns on her she is at home in her sitting room. I know it sounds odd but really the sundowning does affect the sufferer in such a way they don't recognise where they are and often can think they are somewhere else. Often Mum would say she was at the doctors or she was just back from shopping ( when she had not been out). Now Mum sadly is in a care home but she will tell me herself and another resident have been out shopping and are just back from Bluewater.

She frequently calls me and asks me to pick her up and take her home and tells me she is somewhere else, and I do the same recognition exercise with her. You are at your home Mum, where are you calling me from, are there green chairs there? do you have a television, pictures on the walls, family photographs? The recognition test really does help as once they focus on their surroundings, the surroundings then become clearer.

Home does seem to be a feature of the sundowning though, as Mum is now in a residential care home but is constantly telling staff and the family she wants to go home, but she doesn't really know where home is anymore. When you gently tell her she can't go home as there is no one at home anymore ( my Dad died four years ago) she will say but Mommy and Daddy are there ( she is referring to her own parents here)..... as she is thinking of her home as a child rather than her house she lived in before she moved into care.

My Mum has had this awful illness for probably five years or more but it only become apparent really after my father died. The sundowning started virtually soon after her diagnosis in nearly 4 years ago now and I have found over time the recognition test works the best way I have found to handle the request to go home, when they are home.

Another aspect of the sundowning and "I want to go home", is the packing. You may not have experienced this yet, but as they are convinced they want to go home, they don't just get their coat but they start to pack as well.

Mum frequently when she lived at home, packed her clothes up along with some contents from the fridge and other things she thought she would need, even the toilet brush would get packed! As she could not access where her suitcases were stored, she would use other means to pack, such as the laundry basket, pillow cases and various handbags. Often I would arrive at her home to find her clothes all over the bedroom and everything under the sun packed into various bags and I would have to unpack and put it all away ( throwing away the food that had been out of the fridge).

Now she is in permanent care, she still packs but not as often. We had to remove her suitcase from her room as she packed frequently. Often now I will go to see her and her clothes are all over the bed and she has packed using carrier bags or pillow cases and the laundry basket, amazing how clever she is in finding ways to pack. You just have to say, oh Mum you have packed again, I will sort it out. she will ask you to leave it alone as she is going home and you can't stop her. I will then use the usual tactic ( as she is of course not at her actual home anymore) ok but we need to wait for John, Peter, whoever as they are coming for tea, pick her up. Then change the subject. I hope some of this advice helps. Good luck xx

Julia B

Apr 13, 2015
Dealing with MiL's sundowning

Hello, we make sure MiL's rooms, lounge bedroom and bathroom ( we had built off our kitchen ) are warm, well lit, and that she can see us in the kitchen, or hubby is sat with her, music on the TV and not too much kerfuffle...if the kids are there with friends we head them off to our lounge. Dinner is being prepared and we tend to spot her face change...she'll ask what she did wrong, where is her purse, whose dog is that, what happened to her, why she has been alone all day ( she never is , hubby is her carer ) and often where she is , or where the other people are ( sometimes she thinks our home is a care home ) and we try to distract by discussing the newspaper articles, song playing, something in the garden. If that fails we simply reassure, quiet voices and smiles, company whilst it wears off, as it tends to in about 30 minutes, then she's fine. Dusk is tough for her, every day, she has mild anti depressants , so we do what we can to try to be aware of the times it happens. All the best, fellow TP'ers x

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I'm finding that Dad gets far more confused about what time of day or night it is in the evening and middle of the night. He is often expecting breakfast at bed time , not because he is hungry but because his watch says it is time for breakfast. When I have gone to bed he is starting to wander around downstairs looking for me, and has called me a few times recently in the middle of the night to see if I am ok, or in, or forgotten to get up for work etc.
Dad also went through a phase of playing none stop with TV remote control in the early evening, although more recently he seems to have given up trying.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
My husband's Sundowning is just the same as Tigerlady's, except mine is still at home.

Nothing works when he's in full flow, it can strike quite suddenly, and there's no diverting him. It can help a bit, sometimes, playing music that he likes, especially of we actually talk about the music.

The only thing that really works is to get in the car and go out....not really feasible late on cold nights, though we have been supermarket shopping very late...

Some days he Sundowns all day long, but more often it starts somewhere between 2 and 4pm, and continues until bedtime.

Seeing the GP in the morning is pointless; he can rise to the challenge magnificently. I wish the GP would come round at 10pm!

We are a few days into trying Pregabalin, everything else failed or made things worse.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Many thanks to everyone who took the time to share your experiences. I've closed the discussion now. :)

Best wishes,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lolly53