getting used to the idea

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
I've just been diagnosed... wow. Takes some getting used to. Ironic that I need to reorganise some stuff (banks etc) when I'm only just up to it. My (grown up) kids are very helpful, but I like to keep stuff in my hands.

One of the things I most dislike is that habit of saying something as if it were new, when I've already said it, sometimes twice. Most embarrassing.

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
J Howard,
Well, a diagnosis at least gives you some clarity. I know it must not be easy. As you go through your journey here is a poem from Dr. Seuss.

"Today, you are YOU.
that is truer than true,
There is no one alive who
Is YOU're than YOU.
Dr. Seuss

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
It is like a hammer blow.

To say it is hard to get your head around it is the understatement of all time. But role with it and try to accept it while still doing all you can to live a normal life. I hope you are getting some medication. I was diagnosed 6 years ago and the meds have made a real difference. We are all different. I don't repeat myself much but can't do anything with numbers and have big spatial awareness problems- changes in floor textures look like holes and steps. Talking point is useful because you realise you are not alone.
Take care of yourself
Shelagh

LoisJean

Jan 11, 2016
Northeast Lower Michigan, USA
Hi, it's so good to have you with us. I am diagnosed with vascular dementia. I am told that my type of dementia doesn't respond to medications given for Alzheimer's, but many of the symptoms are alike. Often I think I'm doing or reading or thinking something new only to find out I'm actually repeating myself.

Even tho I'm really quite functional as far as taking care of myself and getting out and about, I am finding the motivation to move outside of my daily surroundings is diminishing.

Today I stood in front of a piece of tin foil, a cookie tray and a package of chicken...it took me 15 minutes to figure out what I was supposed to do with it. I recall getting all the stuff around but the second I looked at it, my brain went blank. It was as if I was standing outside of myself watching me just standing there and staring. This happens more and more frequently during a day. (Happily, I managed to make chicken and noodles as I had planned.)

Until I found Talking Point I was really quite alone with this. Here I have found a wonderful group of people who actually KNOW what I'm experiencing and the carers who share with us are an amazing source of support for me. My adult children tell me they have signed in to this site, too.

I hope that you will continue with us here. It's wonderful to meet you.
LoisJean

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Hi Lois Jean

You are doing great! I know that some moments are rough!!! But we get a glimpse of what may come later with those moments. Thank God for the present. Keep cooking! Made me hungry!

BillBRNC

Jan 26, 2016
USA NC
JHoward, I sure would not worry about it. Forget embarrassment. No reason to be. We Alz people have a terrible disease, not our fault, but not much to really do about it. We just do our best, then the rest turns out however it turns out, but it isn't something to worry yourself or be embarrassed about. Good luck, and get your life in good order because it will take a huge load off of you, and you'll feel better about most everything. Bill.

Irishgirl57

Jan 21, 2014
Florida, USA
Welcome, even though this is a place that I wouldn't wish on anybody ... I was diagnosed five years ago this coming April at 53 years old and sometimes it still doesn't seem real. I know you embarrassed, confused, and feel like you're living a nightmare. You have come to the right place ....

People here are very welcoming and there is no need for any embarrassment here. Everyone here is here for the same reason, because were learning to live in life with our disease ...

I live in the US and it is different than other countries. Acceptance has been the key to my living a fairly normal life. And medication, but it took 2 years to get the right dosages. It Doesn't mean that I don't have my moments, my days, it means that I can live my new normal. My new normal doesnt include driving, working, attending large events or anything stressful. That's part of living my life is to understand the triggers of my disease are.

I wish you nothing but your days filled with sunshine and peace ... Feel free to contact me

BillBRNC

Jan 26, 2016
USA NC
Wow, I just was reading down this topic and ran into a reply I wrote two days ago. I have no memory of having read any of this topic, and I don't recall writing the reply either. This happens all the time now. Strange thing. Very strange. I'm getting used to not remembering what I did yesterday.

TooHard

Sep 16, 2015
One of the good things about this site is hearing about dementia from those who are living with it. I'm very grateful to you all for your insights.

My (grown up) kids are very helpful, but I like to keep stuff in my hands.

I appreciate it must be very hard to let things go but speaking as someone whose mother is now unable to cope with these things and who gets angry when we try to help or offer suggestions can I - respectfully - suggest that "keeping stuff in my hands" is really not as important as you think and it's better if you organise and share with your helpful grown up kids now while you're able to have control over it. It could possibly save a lot of heartache later.

Tell me to mind my own business if you like. :)

Mary55

Nov 24, 2015
Alzimers

Just been dignosed with onset dementia before Christmas I'm 61 and finding it hard to understand

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
losing the plot

I'm having a bad day today - even found it hard getting into the forum.

By the way, TooHard, I know you're right, but it's the toughest part of the process, especially as my son and daughter are very different from each in their attitudes

Last edited:

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I'm having a bad day today - even found it hard getting into the forum.

By the way, TooHard, I know you're right, but it's the toughest part of the process, especially as my son and daughter are very different from each in their attitudes

I too have struggled with the forum today, it is probably a small hiccup as it seems ok now so nothing you are doing wrong.

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hi there,

I was recently diagnosed as well and am still getting used to whatever passes for normal now.

I do find myself repeating actions and words a lot but aren't usually aware of it until my partner tells me.

All the best.