Memory clinic score

Caseys

Dec 10, 2015
Mother in law had memory clinic today. Scored 51/98 which they said indicated dementia but wouldn't say more and referred to a consultant. Any idea what the score means?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Strange number to be marked out of a maximum of 98.
A MME test is marked out of 30 and an ACE-R marked out of 100 (see the link below).
These are the usual tests used, I don't know of any tests with a max score of 98.
The referral to a consultant and then a brain scan should get a diagnosis, the people who do the tests aren't the ones who diagnose, they just establish if there is an issue then refer it upwards if they think there may be a problem.
K

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?42859-Addenbrookes-ACE-R-please-explain

Dunkers58

Nov 9, 2013
Hampshire
Hi, My Mum has the MME test out of 30, then when in hospital an OT carried out one which I think was Cambridge University something and that was a higher score. This was subsequently repeated when she went to the memory clinic. I seem to be remember anything under 80 was not so good ( but don't quote me), the test is slightly longer than the MME, Inguess looking at different aspects of memory.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I think the score maybe under 75 to show signs but I can't remember; ironic really. :eek:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
The memory tests, no matter which one is used, are just part of a whole range of diagnostic tools that are used to assess someone. I agree that I haven't come across one that gives a score out 98. The thing is that patients could do the test on 2 different days and get quite a different score each time so I think it is best not to get too hung up on this sort of testing. You will see things about your person with dementia that will tell you more than any memory test will because you live with it all the time. And memory loss is just one of the problems that PWD experience.