What a hussy - LOL

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
I hope this can give you a smile Diana.

At 10 o'clock one evening,we received a call from mum's home,mum had had a very bad fall,she'd hit her head on the carer's station,the paramedics had been called. My heart sank,we rushed to be with her.

The paramedics were leaving as we arrived and said mum was quite a character.

We walked into the home,mum was in a wheelchair,wrapped in a blanket,covered in blood,a huge lump on her head. I knelt on the floor,mum gave me the biggest smile,and said she'd told the paramedics that she'd seen Tom Jones in concert and thrown her knickers at him!

She had! But we thought the memory was long gone. I laid my head on mums lap and sobbed,mum was still there somewhere. The carers gathered round and mum loved telling them the story too. Oh how I love these memories. She recovered from her injuries luckily,but never remembered Tom Jones again.

Terribly sad,amusing,call it whatever,but I will never forget.

What a lovely memory. What a strong lady was your mother. (I wish I had courage to throw knickers on a concert).

alison1981

Dec 13, 2013
My mum also says funny things in her care home and some of the residents too.

Boxing Day 2015 I went and there was a new lady there who wanted to go home, she asked everyone if they would be a dear and let her out. She then got talking to my mum and my mum said we will have to form an escape committee and my Alison'that's me' will help us LOL.

Another time a resident was talking to me and my mum and she said about how her bag has gone missing. My mum then said oh I know they are always nicking things here, they'd nick your teeth if you weren't watching them!

I went once and my auntie was just pulling up outside so we walked in together and my mum said 'look at her no shame your dad's floozy! Then when we got up to leave mum said 'oh I suppose they'll be at it as soon as they get home'.

I suppose it is like it for everyone else, I just hate leaving her there especially when she looks so sad that I am going without her and she waves and looks sad.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
That used to be my signature on TP when I joined the forum. Dementia causes way too many tears.

Hi Kassy,

I agree with you. Without a smile, the world would be too difficult and as we all know it is devastating for us all

Aisling

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Caring for PWD doesn't often lend itself to funny moments, we all know that, but sometimes an off the cuff remark tickles the funny bone even though tinged with the sadness which is always present with dementia.

This morning, lovely care worker arrived to help get hubby washed/dressed etc. and said "Good morning J, I'm here again to get you out of your lovely warm bed, oh I'm such a nuisance." Without pause, without moving a muscle, still lying down with eyes closed he said, "Aye, a proper nuisance". We both looked at him and the broad smile on his face was so funny we had a good giggle - a good way to start the day.

Before dementia (although of course he would not be in the sad position he now is in) he would never have "agreed that she was a nuisance) - he was such a reserved, polite fella.

I hope we can all share things that make us smile to brighten our days.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
A heart warming story, Lilac Blossom.

One night that I was staying with my Mam, she was still trying to be the best Mam in the world.

Towels here, nighties here, warm socks here.

Out she comes with her (so used it was crunchy) mop-cap shower cap, on her head.

'More tea, Vicar?' She said as she curtsied.

Laugh?

I laughed until it hurt.

It still does.

Humour is always there.

Sometimes it takes more than love to appreciate it.

I am in the minority, I'm fine with that.
I just won't shut up when I disagree.

Crass is crass to me.

Everyone has a different appreciation of humour.

Mine is mine.

And that is that.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Garnuft I have to say I feel rather offended by your use of the word 'crass'.

Just because people don't see things the way you do it doesn't make them crass.

All of us see things differently and we none of us know what another person could be going through. Nor how they choose to deal with it. I feel it is more in keeping with TP to try and support each other and if we don't agree then we can agree to disagree but don't resort to name calling.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
I dont know if any of your have had experience of laughter therapy. I took my husband to a monthly dementia coffee morning where they usually have music entertainers, but this time they had a laughter therapist - an Indian lady. It was brilliant and everyone joined in. My husbands care home have since booked her to do sessions at the home, and I was told that my husband, who never usually joins in with anything unless I am there as well, joined in and had a good time. It really is amazing how good you feel afterwards. Those of you who watched the Real Marigold Hotel would have seen the celebrities doing it there, as I think it originated in India.

I know its slightly off topic of this thread, but laughter is good for for the body as well as the soul, as it exercises the lungs, facial muscles and also body if you include clapping hands and tapping feet. I think it should be included in all care homes. Laughing with our loved ones is a really good therapy.

eddiesgirl

Oct 22, 2012
Midlands
I don't think there's a soul on this forum who'd find it amusing to poke fun at affliction - at least I've never seen any evidence of that, and although I don't post much I look in almost every day.

Equally I kind of assume we'd all rip heads off if we saw our loved ones (or anyone else's for that matter) being thoughtlessly or deliberately disrespected in any way. Why wouldn't we?

I love my mother dearly and I know she loves me and trusts me always to look out for her dignity. But oh yes, we do have some laughs at some of the weirder aspects of things as they now are. I don't believe this reflects badly on me or diminishes the bond of love, trust and respect between us. I know what she would be happy for me to share & with whom, & what she wouldn't, and I believe this is just as true of other carers and their loved ones.

Just my take on this issue - thanks for reading.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I'd rather that my relative's carers gave a wry smile at an absurd situation than sat there being professional and po-faced. What a miserable care home that would be.

I wasn't offended by the anecdotes.

Nor was I. To be honest I found it very rare that there was anything to really smile at, let alone laugh at, in my mother's CH. But there was one incident where we just couldn't help laughing, albeit as silently as possible, and a nearby carer nearly exploded.

OH had come with me, and as usual I had taken her a bar of chocolate. At the time she was talking very little and what she did say didn't often make much sense.

I gave her a square of chocolate, then gave one to OH, who used to be Golden Boy in her eyes.
Quick as a flash she said to me, 'I could have had that!', clear as a bell, and then she turned her very steely glare to OH: 'You're a VERY NASTY MAN!!'

I don't know how on earth we could have NOT seen the funny side. Yes, the effects of the disease are tragic and awful, but you've got to find something to laugh at now and then FGS. My mother was in that CH nearly 8 years, and this was probably the only time I really wanted to laugh at all during any visit.
If that makes me unfeeling, so be it.