My dear wife.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Thanks for sharing this Gringo. You not only saved a lot of money but I would imagine that the card meant more to each of you at each Valentine's Day. By now it must be so precious.

As I recall it cost me sixpence. Priceless now of course. Best investment I've ever made!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
A very special Valentine Gringo.
My first one from Dave is in a box with other things I have kept but I haven't seen it for many years. How wonderful to revive that first one every year. If makes it so very special and meaningful.
I hope tomorrow is as special for you in its own way.x

P.s. Perhaps I should find that card, instead of trying to ignore the date and all the memories that it brings, even if it does bring tears. Thanks you Gringo.

You might remember that when I was in floods last year, because it was the first time in 50 years that I hadn't received a birthday card from John, I sorted out all my cards and put them in separate folders: Christmas, Anniversary, Birthday (they filled 2 folders), Valentines and lastly Miscellaneous, which included Get Well Soon, Good Luck in your new job, Congratulations etc.

I felt heaps better when I looked through the Birthday cards (and I found almost all of them), so I did the same thing at Christmas, and today I took the Valentines cards out. The very first one has "To My Sweetheart" on it, I don't think they had cards with "Fiancee" on them then.

It has the most lovely poem in it, that John composed, (see - I'm not the only one who writes Odes!) including this:

You are my lovely Valentine
Of extreme beauty so divine
You are the love of my life
And very soon you'll be my wife

When you look into my eyes
So easily you hypnotise
I love this wondrous bundle of charms
Forever I'll hold her in my arms

Let the heavens hear my call
For I shall give this girl my all
Whether at work, or whether at leisure
She is my most precious treasure

Had a cry when I read it (it's about 20 verses long), but the were happy tears, and I'm so thankful that I was loved by such a lovely man. xxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
In tears now for all of us whose loved ones are no longer able to express their love for us for whatever reason. xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oh Scarlett what a lovely poem, it is so comforting to know how much you were loved.

Indeed I was Pam, but I had a good laugh as I worked my way through the decades of the cards. The endless verses of our engagement year, became, in the 1980s:

I love you, you love me, tonight I'll try to cook the tea :D

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Just about my first post on TP. was a cry of despair that a supposedly compassionate God could allow someone to suffer from the combination of dementia and a colostomy.
Now several years down the track, after yet another cancer strike, I have no thought of any kind of God and only feel numb.
There have been several threads debating which was worse, dementia or cancer. I have always felt that distress was distress and not to be measured. But now I must say, from experience, where you have both occurring together, the whole tragedy is greater than the sum of the parts.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I don't know how anyone copes with that combination gringo. Numbness is understandable. There's no way of 'making sense of it'. Thinking of you.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oh Gringo, what a truly dreadful time of it, you and your darling wife are having. All I can do is send you my sincerest good wishes, and to tell you that you and your wife are both very much in my thoughts xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don`t know what to say gringo, except it must be the worst nightmare having to watch someone suffer so badly.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Aw, Mike. x
The never-ending road.

I hope Mrs. G is peaceful and pain free and I wish the same for you.

I would say 'dig deep' but you have dug through the Universe already. x

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Cancer has been confirmed and treatment started. As I understand it, the medication cannot cure, but may slow or even stop it spreading.
I have been very touched by the many messages of support. Thank-you all so much.

It's heartbreaking to see those we love in pain and fear.
Harder still to not see them at all.
The situation has stripped me right back to the very basic essentials. Saffie’s words finally brought me to my senses. I am fortunate to still have my wife with me for a time. These may yet be some of our happiest days together.
Much in my mind are these lines from Dylan Thomas.
"Though lovers be lost love shall not;
And death shall have no dominion."

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Your words have made the tears come Gringo.
My heart reaches out to you and your dear wife.
I wish you both treasured days ahead at this difficult time and that you find some peace of mind and heart. X

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Mike-cherish every touch of your hands, every smile, indeed every moment. Dylan Thomas was so right-love is never lost.

Love,

Lyn T XX