So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
About the drug - could he have been talking about 'melatonin'?

Yes!!! I'm sure that's it - thank you! Will be able to go do a bit of research now xxxx

Its maddening, Red - Just a fraction of that money would cover an extra bed for quite probably a few years, because don't forget - self funders like Mil will cover their own costs when they use it.

I think that in the dementia world, for the pwd, the mental energy just to 'look after' themselves must be all consuming. In 'Still Alice' there's a brief comment where Alice realises that she smells stale and that she hasn't washed for days - but even whilst realising this, it says that she 'lacks' the mental stamina to do anything about it. I often think thats the case with Mil - its so hard just to get through the confusion and fear, every day, that she simply can't think about others, or the impact of her behaviour, or whether what she is doing is wrong. She only has the mental energy and capacity to think about herself and what she thinks she needs and wants, and she succumbs to the delusions and paranoia with less and less of a fight or effort to focus on reality. I think that the 'hostess mode' must take supreme effort - and as Mil's declined, you can see so clearly that its getting harder and harder for her to sustain that role for any length of time at all. Had she spent any longer talking with the consultant, I am certain that her mind would have stumbled, her confusion would have been a lot more apparent and she wouldn't have been able to sustain any insight at all :( .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sure you are right about that Ann. I saw the same thing with mum when she went for her cataract operation. I was astounded that she could tell them her correct date of birth and seemed to know exactly why she was there and what was happening. By the time she was going down for her op, though, she was losing it and I had to keep reminding her where she was and why. I was very relieved when it was over and by the time she got back to her CH she had forgotten that she had been to the hospital at all and couldnt understand why her eye was covered up.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Ann, it sounds as if the consultation was quite positive and the consultant seems to have a good grasp of things. I was going to suggest 'melatonin', I have heard some people on here discussing it, but I see I was beaten to it :) My godson used to take it to help his sleep pattern (he has ADHD and Aspergers) and his father used to take it to help with jet lag when he had been to the states on business.

How sad about the birthday card :(

I might have already said that my son was born on Mum's 60th birthday and I thought it would be one she would never forget. But I was wrong. At least she still remembers the date of her own, that's something for which to be thankful.

That's very interesting Canary. I know that, when Mum was in A+E recently her behaviour got worse as time went on. I don't know whether that was down to tiredness or what. TBH, I was feeling pretty grumpy by the time we had been there for 7 hours!

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment, which is a bit unfair considering how much most of you have to deal with! I'm still quite limited since my op and there is a lot of extra stuff that I have to do over the next couple of weeks - including Mum's appointments and 2 funerals - so I think I will have to weed out some of the things I want to do. Oh well, it's not going to kill me! :)

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment, which is a bit unfair considering how much most of you have to deal with! I'm still quite limited since my op and there is a lot of extra stuff that I have to do over the next couple of weeks - including Mum's appointments and 2 funerals - so I think I will have to weed out some of the things I want to do. Oh well, it's not going to kill me! :)

I think we all feel overwhelmed at times, Slugsta, it's not what we are doing, but how we cope with it.

So it doesn't matter if you are doing less than others or more than others, you are allowed to feel overwhelmed.

Big HUg

Busy week this week, takes so long to read Ann's posts and digest that I haven't commented on this thread.

Got a call from mum's carers on thursday to say she had run out of all her cleaning stuff. I wish they'd tell me, I do try and check it when I go round, but she gets upset if I am being too nosy! Hope it is that she has run out and not that she has binned it all. She hates having her flat cleaned.

Been putting off mum's paperwork with not feeling well and half term so still haven't got latest lot of certified POA's in the post. I need a big kick up the proverbial please.

Grace - SILs behaviour does sound odd, hope it isn't the start of dementia but could be, being clingy and needy. More like she doesn't want to deal with her mum on her own. Well done for keeping phone turned off etc.

Ann - the comment re mental effort to do things, I noticed this with my mum, she is so much better now she has settled in sheltered extra care, not having to take responsibility for things, and has stopped worrying about needing to do things. I can see the effort she puts into thinking at say the memory clinic or with the children.

Blimey re comments MIL made when you had your oldest, I would have been steaming. I met a muslim pakistani family at a party, they had not been here long, dad/father worked with OH, and when I asked them how they found the UK, the mum/wife(working as a GP) said one of the best bits was being away from parents and in laws who saw it as their right to tell them how to raise their children and expected them to obey. There was a hint of this sort of thing from my dad's relatives (Irish) which my mum ignored.

Got my mum to write birthday card for my brother, and she managed love mum, but didn't address it to him or add any xxx which she would have done. I bought a funny card that last year she would have laughed at but I don't think she understood the joke this year.

Edited to add - after last Thursday struggling to ride 12 miles, I managed 45 miles today, hopefully I am over the virus and won't relapse tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

What you have written about your Mum and the cataract op fit's Mil to a 'T', canary. When we were sat waiting to go in to the appointment, Mil was more than half convinced that it was me waiting for to see a doctor and repeatedly expressed surprise each time we reminded her what we were doing there. But once the consultant called us through, it was like a switch 'flicked', she was very on the ball (for her) when talking to him - but within less than 5 minutes of us driving away from the hospital, she had absolutely no recollection of where she had been or why.

I've looked up a little about the melatonin now, Slugsta - like Celia, considering the amount I found about it and the fact that I discovered that you can even buy it on-line, I'm a bit shocked to find that the Welsh government (or whoever it is who are responsible in Wales) have been so slow to grant it a licence. I checked with OH, though, in case I'd misheard, but this consultant definitely said that it isn't yet available on prescription here and confirmed that the consultant had said that it was because the cost of the drug is high and that's why its taken so long to be approved. If Mil wasn't on such a cocktail of meds, for her many other health complaints as well as the dementia, I might be tempted to just buy some - but although it seems that melatonin has been reported as having few side effects and as impacting on very few other meds, I don't know enough about medication to risk it.

And Slugsta, please remember you have just had surgery, and that no matter where your loved one is in the dementia journey, its all a massive learning curve for the carers and families, and its bound to feel over-whelming at times. Each little change and stage we all deal with is 'new' to us and it does batter you, both mentally and emotionally, Hun, so give yourself a break xxx

Sorry you are still struggling with this awful virus, JM - I'm trying so hard to take things easier here, as I do realise I'm not 100%. I'm feeling a lot more tired than usual, and still feeling a bit like I've been kicked by a mule at times. I hope you can find the energy to get the last lot of POA stuff sorted - simply because I guess you will feel a lot better when its all done. Mil's attitude towards the kids I always put down to the fact that she never wanted anything more in life than to be a 'Mum', but OH was the only successful pregnancy she had, with miscarriages either side of him being born, and I think that had a massive impact on her. She often told me that she had wanted at least four children (her brothers managed huge families, one has 11 kids!) and especially that she wanted a daughter. Oldest being a girl was her dream come true and she did become very obsessed about her, and the subsequent grandkids - I used to say to OH that she gave me the impression that she guenuinely believed that not even he and I loved the kids as much as she felt she did. And that she was always trying to 'prove' that by going over the top in buying the kids stuff, sometimes even behaving as though she was competing with OH and I, in terms of her 'spending' more than we did on birthday and Christmas presents, or buying the kids unacceptably expensive gifts when it wasn't even a special occasion. The first year especially, after oldest was born, there were a lot of rows. But between me, OH and my late Fil, she gradually seemed to realise that she had to back off, and after that it wasn't so bad most of the time. I think I looked at it as an annoying issue that would sometimes flare up, but it wasn't a massive thing that cause continual upset, thankfully.

I had to shake Mil awake yesterday morning! She was extremely sleepy and sluggish, took her quite a while to wake up properly. I'm assuming that's down to the initial impact of the increased orlanzapine. She struggled even more than usual with focusing on getting washed - not being awkward, just obviously having big problems in concentration. Better once she came down for brekkie, more alert, but complaining bitterly about pain in her bottom of all things! No redness, no bruising, the pain wasn't in the joints at the top of her legs, but actually on her bottom cheeks, she said and she had difficulty describing what sort of pain she meant. I gave her paracetamol, hoping it would help. When OH came down, she gave him his card (she had decided to give him money when I'd taked to her about it, jumping on that from the start - although OH doesn't know it, I did suggest several actual gifts she could give him, that I would sort for her, but she actually told me she 'couldn't be bothered, just give him a few pounds'!) but that, and saying a brief 'Happy Birthday' was the extent of her interest. She started on the kitchen loop, but wasn't too bad and I got her off to DC with no problems.

Then the phone went, and it was our son informing me that he had managed to finish the essay that he was due to hand in on Monday early, had already sent it in - and was heading down for an overnight visit for the birthdays :D Lovely surprise. OH and I spent a couple of hours in town before picking him up from the station. When OH picked Mil up that evening, she walked in the house, and straight passed our son - absolutely no recognition of it being unusual for him to be there at all. OH said that DC had reported that she had been 'obsessed all day' with a delusion that one of her brothers had just died, very tearful and upset about it. 2 of her brothers died years ago, but the last one is still going fairly strong in Ireland. By the time she got home, it was back to her being upset that her husband had died, though that was interspersed with her asking me to take her to the hospital to visit him. We also had a brief bout of her wanting to go home to see to her 'baby', but it was only brief and I distracted her nicely with the 'Monkey Business' series I've recorded for her - never had her down as a particularly keen animal lover, but she seems fascinated by the apes and monkeys in that programme! Although she had been told that oldest was on her way home - later than expected as she had managed to get on the wrong flipping train at one point :rolleyes: - Mil wanted bed at her usual time, and went up with no problems. Once again, once she went up, that was it - no coming downstairs, no night time wanderings - so fingers crossed. However, she was still complaining about this mystery pain in her bum, but again - I checked and no sign of any injury or redness at all.

Usual Saturday here, youngest to theatre group, hopefully Mil to her friends. Son has to head back today, as he has another piece of work that he needs to start on, but oldest is here till tomorrow.

Hope you all have a good day xxxxx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Ann, don't pin too much hope on Melatonin. As said you can buy it easily in the US and I did just that to use when travelling. It worked the first time but never again so it might have been expectation rather than reality. It's not a panacea and if the NHS want to make it available they should allow it to be sold through the Health shops then people could decide for themselves rather than adding to the public bill.

Good wishes.

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning...

jugglingmum.... I don't think SiL (God, I hope not) is showing signs of dementia.
I think her 'neediness' is coming from being scared , and knowing that she is going to have to start looking after her mum. ... Or make an effort.....

You would think , wouldn't you, MiL has 2 sons and DiL in the same town as 'mum'.... you would think they would be the first ones to come running if MiL needs anything.

All of my in laws 'saw' what it was like when my husband had VaD , and other family...
In law family know what is coming... what to expect...

They did not visit much in the beginning (even before VaD confirmation diagnosis) after his BIG stroke...
and when he went on the have lots of TiA's... seizures.... the visits almost stopped .
They could not cope seeing a strong healthy man (he never smoked, drank very little) , not overweight at all...
they couldn't cope seeing him 'disabled ' by a stroke.

When SiL lost (yet another) job , only 2 days week... she lost ' all of her friends'...
she upsets a lot of people , does not think before she speaks (?? maybe this is dementia??) ...
goes from one friend to another, to another....
She will 'hook up' with you if she thinks 'there is something in it for her'....
BTW..... she never used to be like this at all.
A few years ago she decided that she would 'look for a man' who was going to treat her like a Princess....

Poor BF (they live together) is always borrowing money off his dad so he can 'treat SiL' ....
I NEVER speak about this to anyone (except my sister) , so posting this information on TP is a first for me.

A few weeks after my husband died, I was going out for the first time with a couple of other widows for a meal (not fancy). SiL finds out I'm going out .... and rings and asks if she can come too.
I said NO !! ..... 'But whhhhyyyy not '........
She then said, 'Don't worry... I'll pay for my own food' !!!! ..... You couldn't make it up.

I then rang the other widows and changed the location (restaurant) we were going to meet at...
just in case SiL played 'silly whatsits' .... and turned up at the same restaurant.

Take care everyone xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Have been following your story, Grace, and when you posted about sil the other day, dementia screamed at me! For your sake, I hope it's not!
Stay strong, good luck!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Oh, R-Anne, that's a tremendous insight about Ann's MIL's lost babby. I have heard that delusions about children can be common with dementia but that really makes sense.

I was just going to say to Ann that sometimes when I have lower back pain, it can radiate up and/or down, so perhaps it's back pain? Or has she had any bowel upsets that might cause her to feel uncomfortable, or hemorrhoids, or anything of that nature? Hope you're able to sort it out.

IzzyJ

Aug 23, 2015
Cotswolds
Just wanted to tell you that my mum passed yesterday, I guess a year after her dementia became acute. I don't know how I feel yet, it is complete limbo, but I do know that I will always be grateful to you, AnneMac, RedLou and everyone on here who have helped me through these months in so many ways, especially your compassion and understanding. I know I haven't handled it well. Thank you all.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Sorry to hear that IzzyJ. I'm sure you did your best which is only what we all can manage.

Sending you strength to get through the funeral.

Massive Hugs

And do keep posting if you want to

JM xx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Izzy, I am so sorry to hear your sad news. You coped with your situation in the best way you could. No-one could ask for more than that. Please be very kind to yourself in the coming weeks.

Ann and JM, it sounds as if you are both still suffering from the effects of that awful bug :( Please get as much rest as you can and don't try to get back to 'normal' activities too soon.

R-Anne, that was a very insightful comment about MIL's 'babby' confabulations. The effects of multiple miscarriages on someone who desperately wants a big family must be awful.

Ann, I do hope that the increased meds will bring about some calm days and undisturbed nights.

Grace, the more you talk about SIL, the more I dislike her!

Hubs took me to Tesco today so that I could get disposable plates, cups and napkins, several big bottles of 'Lambrini' for a toast and an iced, but not decorated, fruit cake. So that's less for me to mither about! Then we went to Chiquito's for lunch :) Thank you for your kind words. I must learn to take each day as it comes rather than getting overwhelmed by looking at it all together :eek: 'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof' etc.

I hope you all have the best possible weekend.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
IzzyJ. I'm sorry for the loss of your Mum.

Grace - could your SIL be on the autistic spectrum?

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Izzy - just wanted to send you a hug. You've been a support to all of us here, gracious and thoughtful. - Don't be hard on yourself. Try to sleep and to rest, and take care. x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Grace - re your SIL
Her reactions do seem bizarre, but I was most taken with the bit where you said "BTW..... she never used to be like this at all."
So this is a change?
The lack of empathy, the blurring of bounderies, the way she is only after what she can get, the inability to think before she speaks (executive function), the loss of yet another job.......
It all shrieks FTD to me. :(