But oh those lonely nights .........

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
I don't think I've ever seen a water cascading fish shop, wonder if mum has. I shall ask her.
It's lovely reading your past, I don't have the same talk now . Dad obviously doesn't remember and mum was the youngest growing up in salford so doesn't remember a lot now.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Oh, where did you live Stanley? It's now considered a really posh pocket of the area, and those houses fronting it, go for well over a million!!!

We lived in Mountague Place, Poplar, behind All Saints' Church. My parents used to complain about how cold the house was and how difficult it was to live in. There was a bath in the basement, but the basement floor was partly soil! They would not have been able to buy it even then though (it was a manse) but would be astonished at the prices these magnificent houses fetch now!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Goodness I googled to find water running down fish shop window and can't find anything! Surely it wasn't just here!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
We lived in Mountague Place, Poplar, behind All Saints' Church. My parents used to complain about how cold the house was and how difficult it was to live in. There was a bath in the basement, but the basement floor was partly soil! They would not have been able to buy it even then though (it was a manse) but would be astonished at the prices these magnificent houses fetch now!

That's near where the Public Baths are, I think. They're now a listed building. After mum scalded herself bringing in the boiling water for the tin bath, we walked to Poplar Baths every week. Even in winter.

We often went to Crisp Street market, where my Mum would buy material from Frankie Saint's stall. And nobody pronounced it as "Crisp Street", nor "Marble Arch".

We'd say Criss Street and Marber Larch. :D

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Goodness I googled to find water running down fish shop window and can't find anything!

You live in Dundee, it was probably just raining :) I've been to Dundee and it rains a lot, that said from someone who lives near Manchester, the Rainy City.
K

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm catching up and have enjoyed reading all your reminiscences.
The mention of playing on bomb sites reminded me of being told off for always scuffing the toes of my shoes by jumping on and off tank traps.
Such free childhoods in those days. x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
You live in Dundee, it was probably just raining :) I've been to Dundee and it rains a lot, that said from someone who lives near Manchester, the Rainy City.
K

How very dare you?:D:D:D

There's a blue sky with sun peeping through this morning. Now Glasgow - it always rains in Glasgow!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
That's near where the Public Baths are, I think. They're now a listed building. After mum scalded herself bringing in the boiling water for the tin bath, we walked to Poplar Baths every week. Even in winter.

We often went to Crisp Street market, where my Mum would buy material from Frankie Saint's stall. And nobody pronounced it as "Crisp Street", nor "Marble Arch".

We'd say Criss Street and Marber Larch. :D

Yes, I learnt to swim there. So did my brother. Although he was nearly two years older than me there was a stage when people said we looked like twins. He was a tearaway and was once banned - can't remember what for. We hit on the idea of going separately to different parts of the pool and if either of us was asked by the burly attendant 'Didn't I ban you?' we'd would reply 'No. That was my brother!':)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Goodness I googled to find water running down fish shop window and can't find anything! Surely it wasn't just here!"

News to me but a Google book search on shop water fish window down shows it happened in Dundee, there's also a hit for Australia before air conditioning.

>>>Dae Yeh Mind Thon Time?<<<: Tales from the Dundee tenements

Attachments

• 2016-02-27_090123.jpg
    2016-02-27_090123.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 472

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I found that too Nitram. I never thought it would just be something local! I can remember it vividly. The water came down in a steady stream and I used to find it quite hypnotic! I've posted on the Dundonian for All Facebook site to see if anyone has more information or a photo.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Also references to it in Stockton, my memories are of water just running over the slab, not down the window first. The slab was outside the shop, was your display outside or inside the shop?

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Yes, I learnt to swim there. So did my brother. Although he was nearly two years older than me there was a stage when people said we looked like twins. He was a tearaway and was once banned - can't remember what for. We hit on the idea of going separately to different parts of the pool and if either of us was asked by the burly attendant 'Didn't I ban you?' we'd would reply 'No. That was my brother!':)

My goodness Stanley, you lived life in the fast lane, didn't you! When I went to the Baths with Mum, we had to sit on a bench, until a cubicle was free, then you'd go in, get undressed, and the attendant would fill the bath, from outside the cubicle, where the taps were situated.

Then, if the water cooled too quickly, you'd call out "more hot water in number 3 please!", and she'd turn the tap. Mum was very careful with her money, which is probably why we walked home, through the back streets, even in Winter, rather than get a bus.

Anyway, Mum told me that when we went to the Baths, I wasn't to say a word. So when she bought a 2d ticket, just for herself, she'd say "oh I wash the child in the sink at home". But after her bath, I had to silently undress myself and get in the bath water, and wash myself quickly.

One day, the attendant got on a stool and looked over the top of the cubicle, and said loudly "that child hasn't been paid for!!!!" My Mum, who was getting dressed, calmly turned round and said "oh dear, I had no idea she'd done that - get out now!!"

Oh! The shame! I don't know what shocked me most. The fact that the attendant had seen me naked, the fact that she thought I'd sneaked in, or, worst of all, that my Mum had lied! :eek:

But of course, like Verity, wrapped in her brown paper, you didn't question anything, but did what you were told, and followed the mantra "children should be seen but not heard"! I must say, after listening to the cacophony made nowadays in restaurants, by little darlings, who must be allowed to freely express themselves, deafening other customers, I wish that mantra was still adhered to!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Yes, I'm glad that having a bath in our basement meant that we never experienced the public baths. And as for attendant looking over the top when your mum was getting dressed and you were in the bath......imagine what would happen if someone did that these days!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Yes, I'm glad that having a bath in our basement meant that we never experienced the public baths. And as for attendant looking over the top when your mum was getting dressed and you were in the bath......imagine what would happen if someone did that these days!

:D:D:D:D Like Verity and her brown paper (still laughing over that!), nobody questioned anything from someone "in authority", be it your parents or the Bath Attendant!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum always told me about public baths, these explanations make it much clearer.

She grew up in the Brick Lane area of a Jewish father (her mother was the servant so a bit of a scandal in those days), we weren't told she was our gran until we were about 10 in late 70s and even then we weren't to tell people. we had to be told as we couldn't work out how Aunty fitted into the family when mum always told us in detail about everyone else.

Sasky

Jan 29, 2014
Ashford, Kent
I also remember going to the public baths in Tottenham. People these days just don't know how lucky they are.
We also had an outside toilet and I had nightmares using it thinking a rat would come up the toilet !!!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I also remember going to the public baths in Tottenham. People these days just don't know how lucky they are.
We also had an outside toilet and I had nightmares using it thinking a rat would come up the toilet !!!

We also had an outside toilet-with torn up newspaper for loo roll and no hand wash basin:eek: However, we did progress to Bronco toilet tissue when I was about 5. If you needed the toilet in the middle of the night it was the bed pan"