mam on end of life pathway

fizzbomb

May 10, 2014
lancashire
My mam was diagnosed with mixed dementia, AD and VD almost 2 years ago. She has progressed in that's time from slightly confusion , ,then agitation through to being sectioned due to aggressive behaviour in a care home. She was found a lovely caring nursing home in September.
Her aggressive behaviour continued but at least this new home persevered. Then she suddenly wouldn't walk any more late last year. She had a series of mini strokes and a blood clot in her leg just before Xmas
From then it's been rapid. No longer able to walk or even feed herself. Confusion deeper.
Then another illness. A Bad chest infection and fever. She has been plagued by them. Antibiotics aren't working and two days ago she stopped swallowing. She is now on end of life care. Meds and fluids are given intravenously.she has to have help due to the horrible cough she has. Unable to eat or drink or talk apart from the odd word. Luckily she sleeps a lot as when awake she is agitated. She is on end of life pathway now. I just pray for her to go soon. I don't live nearby and have come to see her but have to return soon for work. So I doubt I will be nearby when she passes. That is very hard for me to accept. But my only thankful thought is hopefully she doesn't know. The guilt would be too much to bear if I thought she knew i wasn't there.

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
This is an awful time but please don't feel guilty that you won't be there at the end.
I had been with my dad every day, but on the day he died I left to pick my daughter up from school and that's when he went. A similar thing happened to my friend. I have heard that this is quite common.

I hope you can gain some comfort from the fact your mum will be at peace soon and no longer in pain. I am not really religious but it helped me to think that my dad would be back to his old self up there with his family and friends who had passed having a pint and sorting out his bets.

Sending you love and strength to get through these next few weeks.

fizzbomb

May 10, 2014
lancashire
thankyou for your kind comments. My mam passed away today very peacefully,(thanks to medication). My brother was with her, and said it was extremely peaceful. We couldn't ask for more,at least this awful illness didn't manage to take that away. She can now rest, have a good sleep and be with my dad. God bless you mam,sleep well, we love you.xxxxxxxx

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
So sorry that you have lost your Mam. Im glad her passing was peaceful. Be kind to yourself in the days ahead.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
thankyou for your kind comments. My mam passed away today very peacefully,(thanks to medication). My brother was with her, and said it was extremely peaceful. We couldn't ask for more,at least this awful illness didn't manage to take that away. She can now rest, have a good sleep and be with my dad. God bless you mam,sleep well, we love you.xxxxxxxx

God bless you all Fizz. Sending you all my condolences. You Mum is at peace now. Be gentle with yourselves.

Love and support,

Aisling

craftyviola

Feb 17, 2012
Malvern
My sympathy to you and your family. My darling Mum is very close to the end and I hope that she passes as peacefully. Thinking of you at this very sad time.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I'm so sorry that your Mum has died, but take comfort that she was calm and pain free. Your love has shone through and she, too, knew that you loved her.
Take care, Love Maureen.x.

fizzbomb

May 10, 2014
lancashire
Thank you all so much for your kind words. The fact that her passing was very peaceful is the one thing that I can be grateful of. That and the fact that she can now sleep and have the rest she deserves.
Thankyou all. Xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart