You couldn't make it up!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Poor Jinx, and poor Bernard. This has been going on for so long you must both be exhausted by it all. I do hope they get him sorted out in hospital and then manage to get these infections under control.

Nick seemed really poorly yesterday, confused, sleepy, very weak and complaining of back pain. I was sure he was starting another infection and he wouldn't drink. Poured the last drink I gave him on the floor. Today, to my surprise he seemed better, and testing his urine there was no sign of infection. As I think I mentioned he is on a maintenance dose of antibiotics so hopefully this is managing to keep him stable. Just saying this as I hope your doctor may agree that it would help Bernard once the hospital has got the UTI cleared. Big hugs to both of you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Ambulance finally arrived just after 10 this morning, after calls from the CH as Bernard was being increasingly sick. He has been put on a drip and given anti-vomit medication which has worked but he's been very weak and slept most of the day. He did eat a few spoons of chicken soup but not really interested. Hoping he will be brighter tomorrow. Thank you everyone for your messages and support. xxxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Poor Jinx, and poor Bernard. This has been going on for so long you must both be exhausted by it all. I do hope they get him sorted out in hospital and then manage to get these infections under control.

Nick seemed really poorly yesterday, confused, sleepy, very weak and complaining of back pain. I was sure he was starting another infection and he wouldn't drink. Poured the last drink I gave him on the floor. Today, to my surprise he seemed better, and testing his urine there was no sign of infection. As I think I mentioned he is on a maintenance dose of antibiotics so hopefully this is managing to keep him stable. Just saying this as I hope your doctor may agree that it would help Bernard once the hospital has got the UTI cleared. Big hugs to both of you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hope that was just a bit of a down day for Nick and he's still OK, Es?

I don't know how many more of these infections Bernard can take, he's so thin and seems to be in pain everywhere but the trouble with hospitals is you rarely see the doctors and B can't really tell them how he's feeling. I suspect that as soon as he's showing signs of improvement they'll want the bed back. Two wards in the emergency assessment unit were closed yesterday due to some bug so that was putting more pressure on the other wards.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
There's always some reason isn't there.
I do hope Bernard picks up jinx and that you are managing ok.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Thank you Jinx, he does seem okay. I'm so sorry to hear how poorly Bernard is, and it's awful to see him in pain. When Nick was in hospital they were very concerned that he was sorted out before he was discharged. I do hope it's the same where Bernard is. Hope that you are alright and at least able to eat properly and rest. Are you still working?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you Jinx, he does seem okay. I'm so sorry to hear how poorly Bernard is, and it's awful to see him in pain. When Nick was in hospital they were very concerned that he was sorted out before he was discharged. I do hope it's the same where Bernard is. Hope that you are alright and at least able to eat properly and rest. Are you still working?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's good news Es, if the maintenance dose is helping Nick.
Sorry Bernard is getting weaker Jinx. Do you have the time and energy to organise a meeting with his doctor in the hospital and his GP to make sure there is a better regime of medication before he is discharged. Sorry if that is not appropriate for you, but I managed to do that for Christl a couple of years back with help from Carers Liaison and it helped.
Best wishes to you both and to Es and Nick. Rob

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Sorry Bernard is getting weaker Jinx. Do you have the time and energy to organise a meeting with his doctor in the hospital and his GP to make sure there is a better regime of medication before he is discharged. Sorry if that is not appropriate for you, but I managed to do that for Christl a couple of years back with help from Carers Liaison and it helped.

I think that's a really good idea I'll enquire today, thank you very much Rob. The problem is because he's in a care home the hospital think he will be getting all the necessary care there but whilst they're very good they are not doctors and still rely on the GP, but I know the ethos is that anyone in a care home can be discharged as soon as they are showing signs of improvement and it's usually too soon.

I am still working full time, Es, but might apply for part time, if they'll let me, after Easter. I keep talking about it but haven't got round to asking the powers that be!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
B is still in hospital, he was a fraction better yesterday but had been sick in the morning after taking his tablets (most of which he's spitting out) so was still on anti-vom meds. He did eat a bit at tea time but I had to feed him, mainly because he was at such an awkward angle in the bed. He drank quite well with lots of prompting and help but, as always, I wonder what happens when I'm not there. They still seem to be querying whether he has a urine infection, surely they should know by now?!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
B is still in hospital, he was a fraction better yesterday but had been sick in the morning after taking his tablets (most of which he's spitting out) so was still on anti-vom meds. He did eat a bit at tea time but I had to feed him, mainly because he was at such an awkward angle in the bed. He drank quite well with lots of prompting and help but, as always, I wonder what happens when I'm not there. They still seem to be querying whether he has a urine infection, surely they should know by now?!

I thought they do a quick dip test for PH then send it off for confirmation, but get you on antibiotics straight away. I assume, well hope anyway, they are taking blood tests for anything else they suspect.
Sorry Jinx, I seem to automatically go into hospital mode after so many visits.
Best wishes to B for a quick recovery and to yourself in a trying situation. Rob

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I thought they do a quick dip test for PH then send it off for confirmation, but get you on antibiotics straight away. I assume, well hope anyway, they are taking blood tests for anything else they suspect.
Sorry Jinx, I seem to automatically go into hospital mode after so many visits.
Best wishes to B for a quick recovery and to yourself in a trying situation. Rob

Found out today it's not as simple as that Rob. Bernard was suffering sickness and diarrhoea when he went into hospital the likely cause of which is prolonged use of antibiotics, which disrupt the balance of bacteria in the gut and that allows other infections to take hold. I think we may be between a rock and a hard place. They are going to try and build him up and they are currently growing faeces cultures to discover what bug it might be, but apparently a likely one is C-Difficile..... It will be a few days before we find out.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
What a situation jinx. Poor Bernard he must be so low now, battling all these things. Hope they can get to grips with the gut problems. So hard for you especially that particular rock and hard place.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to hear that Jinx. What a worry for you. I hope they sort out sine help for Bernard soon.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Found out today it's not as simple as that Rob. Bernard was suffering sickness and diarrhoea when he went into hospital the likely cause of which is prolonged use of antibiotics, which disrupt the balance of bacteria in the gut and that allows other infections to take hold. I think we may be between a rock and a hard place. They are going to try and build him up and they are currently growing faeces cultures to discover what bug it might be, but apparently a likely one is C-Difficile..... It will be a few days before we find out.

I am sorry for this awful situation Jinx, you must be so worried. At least it sounds as though the hospital is being very thorough. I hope they can come up with some effective regime to help Bernard. Also hope your employers will be flexible about your work arrangements, I don't know how you've coped all this time, sometimes you don't realise what it's taking out of you. Love to you both.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon

Thanks Rob, fingers crossed at the moment. Best wishes to you and Christl too.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
Just catching up with posts after a tricky few weeks here. So sorry to see that yourOHs are both poorly, Es and Jinx. I do hope the medics get things sorted to make life more comfortable all round. This issue with antibiotics is a real challenge to manage in my view, when to use them and when not I mean. My OH gets chest infections rather than urine, fortunately they don't cause the pain etc that urine ones do, but I worry that repeated use of antibiotics will eventually leave us with no treatment options, have begun to wonder if I should just nurse him through the next minor one, as long as his breathing is OK and he is not too poorly. At least checking oxygen levels is something I can do at home.
Hoping to see better news from you both in the days ahead.