I need your experience/help. Has dad got Alzheimer's or a Lewy Body??

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
I have been reading everything I can about Alzheimer's and what to expect- not the same as living it, as you all know... Dad has had a blank face for last year. No expression, but will talk to me sometimes, rarely, doesn't make much sense- but always nice to hear him talk! :) he's back on his feet after pneumonia, but shuffling..His swallowing is very obviously poor now- even on puréed diet he coughs after every mouthful. Today, I noticed he had a marked tremor in his hands. Couldn't guide spoon to his mouth because of it. But.... He was the best mentally I'd seen him in a a few weeks- although his face was still 'blank'. I remember a couple of years ago when dad was at home, with 24hour care, him telling me about a long conversation he'd had with my mum( who had passed away) I did tell his CPN at the time. I'm now wondering, / worrying- has dad always had Lewy body dementia not Alzheimer's??? should his treatment have been different??? Hope this ramble makes sense.

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
Thank you, Nitram. Food for thought... Think I'm on right track. Don't know if I'm too late to make a difference to dad's treatment ( he's not getting any, currently) ..

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont think that there is any medication specifically for LBD
AFAIK, the only type of dementia that has medication for it is Alzheimers (slows down the progression), and even then it doesnt always work

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
I have been reading everything I can about Alzheimer's and what to expect- not the same as living it, as you all know... Dad has had a blank face for last year. No expression, but will talk to me sometimes, rarely, doesn't make much sense- but always nice to hear him talk! :) he's back on his feet after pneumonia, but shuffling..His swallowing is very obviously poor now- even on puréed diet he coughs after every mouthful. Today, I noticed he had a marked tremor in his hands. Couldn't guide spoon to his mouth because of it. But.... He was the best mentally I'd seen him in a a few weeks- although his face was still 'blank'. I remember a couple of years ago when dad was at home, with 24hour care, him telling me about a long conversation he'd had with my mum( who had passed away) I did tell his CPN at the time. I'm now wondering, / worrying- has dad always had Lewy body dementia not Alzheimer's??? should his treatment have been different??? Hope this ramble makes sense.

Hi

My dad has dementia with lewybodies. Texts are right there is no legal treatment for it. It displays symptoms of all heifers and parkinsonism symptoms.

It's clearly underdiagnosed and is difficult to diagnose. Some treat the alzheimers symptoms..only from a cognitive point of view.

It is absolutely important to get the right diagnosis. There are so many different types ..of dementia. ..about 131
Chances are no major treatment but at least you can look for ways to help the person live as well as they can and at least be informed...

I've cared for my dad for a few years and he has medication for his Alzheimers symptoms. Difficult to know how much it really helps..but at least I know what can be expected generally. Delusion hallucinations tremors. Swallowing difficulties etc.

The fact sheets say that they can change from minute to minute. That's true.

Best wishes