I still can't believe I've reached this page

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Thanks mal2 and kjn.
Awake already but we are collected at 915 so I'm getting up soon to make sure I'm organised and one last run through of what I'm going to say.
My husband read it for me last night and even he shed a tear!
I wake up feeling like I've someone sitting on my chest but it just doesn't feel real.

Hope all goes smoothly for you today. Love and hugs M xxx:)

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Hello, I am new here and have just lost my sister last Friday. Her funeral was yesterday and I couldn't believe how many tears I shed - it just poured out. Exactly 6 months ago my mother passed away and I hardly shed a tear at the time. I even went back to work the next day. In december I started to just get weird feelings out of the blue and get very sad and starting crying about Mum. I am saying this because it took me 4 months to actually feel the loss of her, but with my sister it was instant. My point is that we are all different and for someone unknown reason we don't react the way we think we will. Please don't feel you don't care because you haven't shed tears, it will come one day. Take care x

So sorry to hear of your losses, Chantilly. It gets a little easier with the passing of time. Lost my Mam 16years ago, sometimes it seems only a short while ago, but, I really miss her, still.
Sending much love and hugs to you. M xxx :)

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
everyone is different , you will deal with this as you can.
Fil had his funeral last Friday , OH is dealing with this completely different to mil.(non dementia related)

That's a wonderful photo and one to treasure xx

Hi Kerry
Hope everything went ok for you all last Friday. Hope Hubby and mil are ok.

Love M xxx :)

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Such kind and wise words again, this really is such a magical place.
Well, dad had the most wonderful send off, 125 people were there! Wow! So many from years ago as well as more recent friends.
I managed the eulogy with just a few deep breaths and a couple of people asked to read it afterwards as it made them too emotional to concentrate.
All in all, a truly wonderful day, it seemed almost wrong to say it's been a lovely day but it really was and one dad would've enjoyed ☺️

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Good to see your positive comments Dimelza, I have been thinking of you today and wondering how everything went. Hope you can get some sleep. Take care xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Well done! I'm glad it all went well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Dimelza
What a wonderful tribute to your dad - I'm glad all went well
I hope you had a good sleep and will now have time to breath and relax and grieve as is right for you
best wishes

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Well done Dimelza. :) I'm so glad you found solace in the day. After John died, I used to "talk" to him, silently, in my mind, but now I just chat to where I think he would be sitting in the room. :) He said your Dad thought you did a brilliant job, and they all had front row seats, watching from "up there". There's no Alzheimer's in Heaven.

I don't know how I managed to give John's Eulogy, but it was the last thing I could do for him, and he'd asked me to, years ago, after he heard me give one for someone else. But whether the bereaved actually say the words, or think them in their hearts, our loved ones know.

May you find the strength to get through the days ahead. xxx

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Dimelza. So glad everything went well for you, well done with your eulogy. What an honour to your Dad, for 125 people to attend. Lovely support for you. Love & Hugs M xxx :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
All in all, a truly wonderful day, it seemed almost wrong to say it's been a lovely day but it really was and one dad would've enjoyed ☺️

Not wrong at all, Dimelza. You gave your dad one last gift, a lovely gathering of friends and family that they can remember, even though there was the sorrow of losing him, also as a time of happiness in remembrance of him and celebrating his life. William's funeral was the same, just as he wanted - reflecting what he believed to be his triumph over his illness. As Scarlett said, no dementia in heaven.
Well done Dimelza.

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Hi again
Feeling very odd today, tearful, snappy, irritable. My family aren't helping much by bickering and arguing and sulking and ignoring the fact I need a bit of calm and tlc.
Would like to clear off to bath and early night but my mums travels home tomorrow so I can't really abandon her tonight.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hi again
Feeling very odd today, tearful, snappy, irritable. My family aren't helping much by bickering and arguing and sulking and ignoring the fact I need a bit of calm and tlc.
Would like to clear off to bath and early night but my mums travels home tomorrow so I can't really abandon her tonight.

It's the "come down", after the funeral, Sweetie. You get yourself so geared up, that I the end, cometh The Day, you're running on adrenalin. Every bit of you wants to get the day right, and worthy of the person that you're grieving for, and that's been your focus - and then it's over.

Possibly your family are feeling it all too, and everyone is different and expresses their grief in their own way. How's your Mum? Will she be going home to an empty home, or does she have someone else there? xxx

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Sorry Scarlett I went back to work and then it's been half term for my youngest two do I disappeared!
Mum left dad 22 years ago and moved 200 miles away. She has a partner but they don't live together however they've gone off on a 10 week cruise now so I think she'll be ok...
I'm feeling most odd. It's almost a month since dad died and still no tears. Little sadness. I've felt very anxious this week but had taken my son (10) and youngest daughter (13) away to stay at mums as she's away. Not sure if that helped, was nice to lounge about spending time with them but think adult company was amiss.
Feel better for being home but still not right.
I could do with some time out I think, as I feel fine at home but a little agoraphobic and going out is hard. But I work full time and a member of my small team has just gone off sick for a month so no chance of rest!!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Everything will come in its own time, I expect, and that includes both tears and laughter. Sometimes a song, or a film, may evoke a long-forgotten memory, and you'll sob or laugh. xxx

Shazedge

Nov 11, 2015
Hi Dimelza
I haven't been on here for ages and just wanted to say I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
It really is the most surreal time and although my dad passed literally days before Xmas, there are some days when I struggle... There is definitely no wrong or right way to grieve and it most definitely is a personal thing. I went back to work within a day of dad passing but my sisters both struggled and had quite a bit of time off... For me to try and get back to a degree of "normality" helped. Don't get me wrong I still had and still do have "down and difficult" days but it's what was and is right for me. Grief is such a weird thing and whilst we have this idea of what we think we will be like when "it" finally happens, in truth none of us know. Even at my dads funeral I wasn't sobbing like my sisters, it was sad and oh how I miss him but I just couldn't seem to cry, not in the same way. Like you I thought there was something wrong with me because I wasn't reacting in the way I thought I would or should have been.
I still miss him terribly and inside my heart does feel broken and still suffer with a degree of insomnia ( which is why I'm on here now and have been awake since 2.30 am).
But overall I am relieved that my dad ia free from pain and suffering... Sending you lots of love and best wishes for the days / weeks / months ahead X X X X
SE

Last edited:

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
Same

My father passed away (alzheimers/lewy bodies-who knows? just awful) Christmas Eve and most of the time since I have just got on with things. Some nights if I start thinking about the past 5 years I start crying and can't stop for hours but overall, I am still in shock I think.

I am in shock that my dad had to go through so much and that the 5 years went by so quickly and yet I am also relived he is now at peace.

I will miss him for the rest of my life as I know you understand.

Take care of yourself xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnieSmith