Missing another walking stick

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Hi everyone

This isn't important in the great scheme of things, but mum keeps losing her walking stick. She went to the hairdresser just around the corner from us on Thursday and came back minus her stick. The hairdresser says she didn't leave it there, but mum didn't go anywhere else. I can't imagine what the hairdresser would want with the stick, but there you go. Out I went to get a new stick first thing on Friday. Today we went shopping to a large diy store, we had a trolley and mum was pushing/ leaning on it as she says it gives more support (mum has a stroller, but refuses to use it). Came home by taxi as the weather was horrible and no prizes for guessing, no stick, partly my fault for not noticing it was missing.

Does anyone know if there is an alarm/tracker device I can attach to the next stick with a sensor with my mum so that the sensor/alarm will bleep if the stick is out of her range? Such a device would be worth it's weight in gold to me as regular purchases of sticks is getting expensive, especially as mum prefers the gel handle type.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There alarms you can buy where you put a bracelet (normally on a child) and have a key fob in your pocket, if the child (or in this case walking stick) is more than a certain distance away the alarm sounds, child proximity alarm type thing.
It might be a solution if it's within her capacity if not put a sticker on the stick with your phone number and say there's a £10 (?) reward for finding it and calling you.
K

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Thanks Kevin. Will have a look around for that alarm, certainly going to be cheaper than regularly buying sticks. The stick which got lost on Thursday had mum's name and my mobile number on it. I have to admit I never thought of a returner reward. Good thinking, £10.00 deffo cheaper than a new stick!!! It's back to a certain chemist tomorrow for yet another stick. Bless mum she's gotten quite picky, it needs to be maroon coloured with a gel handle, limits my places to buy!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
For the walkong stick, if only I could type. Just realised my heading is walkong stick rather than walking stick, woops!:)

Do you remember that old card game Beggar My Neighbour, one vowel wrong in that and...who knows what'll happen:)
K

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
I don't think I've come across the game, but yep it'd be an unfortunate typo and knowing me I wouldn't spot it until it was too late. I'm not even taking a chance on naming the game here! :)

Certainly prospective me a good laugh.

Need plenty of them.

Lavender x

Tiller Girl

May 14, 2012
I can't help with any suggestions to help unfortunately although you seem to have had some good ones already.

What I wanted to say is ........why is it just the smallest things seem to create the biggest problems?

I think this is the type of thing that non carers just have no concept of.

My husband loses several things everyday. They turn up eventually but create havoc whilst they're missing !

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Hi, can you not fiix a loop strap onto the stick so that it slips over her wrist?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Stick-Wrist-Strap-Corded/dp/B00185P5LU

Hi Maureen

Thank you for the link.

Mum's sticks come with a strap, but its her habit not to use it. Mum props her stick against things, shelves, counters and such to give her two free hands and then forgets she has a stick, even though she badly needs it. If I don't keep my eyes peeled yet another stick has vanished. No chance of getting mum to change her habits hence my thinking about an alarm to prompt both of us.

Lavender x

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
What I wanted to say is ........why is it just the smallest things seem to create the biggest problems?

I think this is the type of thing that non carers just have no concept

You can have no idea how much I agree with you. It's just a stick, its not the end of the world, but......!!!!!!

I've started to learn that I you've no experience of caring you've no chance of understanding how tough it can be. I have to remind myself of this when my sister (not involved in care) tells me to get on with it and stop moaning.
Lavender x

its a struggle

Mar 10, 2015
South Coast - Hampshire
Hi Maureen

Thank you for the link.

Mum's sticks come with a strap, but its her habit not to use it. Mum props her stick against things, shelves, counters and such to give her two free hands and then forgets she has a stick, even though she badly needs it. If I don't keep my eyes peeled yet another stick has vanished. No chance of getting mum to change her habits hence my thinking about an alarm to prompt both of us.

Lavender x

You could be talking about my MIL Lavender! We always have the 'someone must have stolen it' complaint too. MIL will only use the Nordic walking pole type (in spite of physio advice against!) so at least twice the price of anything else.

It's quite odd though that she will prop her stick against the counter, finish her transaction & then steam off at a good pace. If an assistant spots that she has left her stick & calls her back she turns into a shuffling doddery old lady:rolleyes:

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
I have an address label with my address and phone no sellotaped on It gets back to me!

That's great. I only wish we'd had such luck. Mum's last lost stick had her name and my mobile number on it, but no one called. :(

I've ordered the suggested alarm, hopefully it'll prompt mum and me next time we move out of range.

Lavender x